iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standing Dead Hardwoods?

Started by TxLogger, December 14, 2001, 07:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TxLogger

All things considered (bugs, rot, ect...) how much time do I have to cut & saw hardwoods (white oak, walnut, red oak) that are dead but still standing??

Tom

Tom

Don't know for sure, Tex, but if you were in this North Florida swamp you would have to beat the woodpeckers off of the tree to swing the ax after about two weeks. :D

Ron Wenrich

Depends on what you are looking to get out of it.  If you want low grade, I've sawn some that were standing dead for 5+ years.

For your upper grades, you will want to get them before the borers set in.  I've seen that go for several years.  Might be different in your area.  Walnut not as easily effected as the oaks.  Sometimes the borers are patchy, where you can get some good wood.

You will lose the sapwood within the first year.  If the bark doesn't pop off, then the sapwood will turn to dote.  If it does, the sapwood will probably be stained.

We had a big problem with gypsy moth several years back.  What a few guys tried to do was sell wormy oak.  They could have found the market, but couldn't guarantee the quantity. We're talking trailer loads.

I've seen it used in wainscoat and paneling.  Nothing wrong with it, and it looked good.  It might be easier to market on a more localized level.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

timberbeast

Could be ypu could find (ypu?)  you could find some folks who like wood with the borer holes,  and sell it to them for some good money.  Remember "wormy chestnut"?  Lots of guys who make custom made stuff like "weird wood",  I do myself,  spalting and waney edges can make some interesting pieces of furniture,  as long as it's structurally sound,  i.e.,  not falling to pieces.  My living room walls have a bunch of cedar with old carpenter ant tunnels,  and looks really nice and rustic to me.
Where the heck is my axe???

Thank You Sponsors!