iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bike trip 2012

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, September 11, 2012, 08:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Jon and Diane are coming over for dinner tonight, along with Jake and Lorraine (The Customsawyers), and Jon and Diane are going to stay over here at my place.

I am really looking forward to seeing them all.  Tomorrow, I will show Jon a small operation  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Stopped in on Customsawyer's operation yesterday and watched Jake cut up some big sticks, he even let me run the mill!!! ok, walk with it while it did all the work. Nice efficient set up ya have there Jake. We then went to Jakes house and enjoyed his kegerater and a walk around the grounds. Let me tell you, you would never know there's a double wide trailer inside his house. What an incredable place they have. 

From there we headed over to WDH's and had a good meal with good friends and a couple of adult beverages. That and the rain last night on Danny's tin roof made it easy for Diane and I sleep in this morning.  :)
It's raining pretty hard right now, so we will ride it out here with Danny for a few hours, have a nice breakfast and then start on our unknown part of the trip. We know we will end up in WV on Saturday but we havn't decided on the path yet.  ;D

Thank you and your family's for making us feel right at home.

Jon and Diane.

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Magicman

No real plan is sometimes the best plan.  It's good to hear that you are visiting good folks and enjoying the trip.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Well, the front moved on through, and Jon and Diane hit the road about Noon.  They were headed for the mountains.  Sometimes, it is nice to head to the mountains  ;D.  We had a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, homemade biscuits with jelly and syrup, and coffee and juice.  No grits, although  Diane told me that she likes hers with cheese (we were obviously being overly sensitive in this case, Ray  :)).  Here are the Intrepid Travelers just before blast-off to the mountains.   

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice pic. Nice couple. But if they came through S.C. today......they got SOAKED!

Hope ya'll had a good time.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Nice looking "chainsaw" you're hanging on the back seat during this trip Jon.   smiley_love   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

That picture makes me smile.   :)
Say when

thecfarm

Diane,why ruin the cheese.  :o  We had the same rain here last night. A quick storm. The wind blew hard too. Have fun.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

It always goes to grits .
We stopped in Helen. A toenthat looks like you would expect an octoberfest to look

scsmith42

Sounds like you're seeing some pretty country and having a great ride!

Enjoy!

SS
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Red Clay Hound

If you left Danny's and went to Helen, you didn't miss me by much.  Next time you come through NE Georgia look me up! :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

Hound,

He only missed you by about 10 miles if he came around the loop in Athens.  That is the route that I suggested.  Maybe a little of the Red and Black wore off on them  ;D.

customsawyer

It was great to meet Jon and Diane. Thanks to WDH for the great dinner. Wish we could have visited longer but maybe next time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Skip

Leavin with new camper tommorrow for the outer banks with a layover on the Chickahominy river south of Richmond

WDH

Are you going to surf fish?

Weekend_Sawyer

We arrived home yesterday evening. Spending 10 days on a motorcycle with someone will absolutely test a relationship. I would like to report that we came through with flying colors. 8)

After leaving Danny's where we had mapped out a pretty interesting route, we basically wandered off track, found ourselvs in Juliette having an early supper at the Whistle Stop where they filmed Fried Green Tomatoes. We spent the night in Helen, Ga which is a small Bavarian like town that is gearing up for Oktoberfest.
The next morning found us wandering a little off track and riding along lake Rabun. A very nice ride. We got back on track and after 75 miles saw a sign for Helen 25 miles.  :D
We then snuck up on the Cherohala Skyway in Telco Plains from the west (much to my surprize) and rode it's 50 miles with pleasure. Next we cut back west and north and ran the Tail of the Dragon. That ride is fun but work! We spent the night in Gatlinburg.
Thursday found us on 81 heading north to make a little time, we stopped in Beckley to visit Tamarack where they say the best crafts in WV are displayed. From there  a short hop up to Fayette where we rode over the New River Gorge bridge and then took the old road down through the gorge and back across the new river on the old bridge, fantastic views.
Friday was a mix of back roads and main roads taking 20 to 55.
Saturday we attended the WV Woodland Owners Woodland Walk. Every year the WV WOA hosts multiple tree farm walks around the state. Diane and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk. Very educational.
We made it home Saturday evening. 2,400 miles. A little road weary but still smiling.

Pix soon when I get them sortedl
Jon

Raider Bill

Glad to hear you are both safely home. The Cherohala area is one of my favorite rides. I grocery shop in Tellico Plains.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

pappy

Master of fun ;-) sounds like you guys had a real good ride again 8)  Maybe some day ya just might head on up this way again,, lobsters were rather cheap this summer  ;D temp temp..  :D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Weekend_Sawyer

Pappy Tim, I plan on someday heading back to your neck of the woods. The times I was there were very good times indeed... except for the tree sap incident...

fishpharmer

Glad you made it safely home, looking forward to the pics. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Weekend_Sawyer

Ocean City Bike week. Lots of bikes and this is where we outfitted Diane in leathers. That shiny spot in the lower left is my buddy Mike.  ;D

Savannah! Love that spanish moss. We took some time and walked around the city squares. Very nice.

Customsawyer Jake's mill, this is one loooong mill! At least he has some shade following him around.

In Helen Georgia it's always Oktoberfest! We had a very good dinner of dark beer and wursts.

Here we were at Tamarac Crafts of West Virginia. This is a bowl made out of Ailanthus, guess it has some use.

This is a shot of the new New River Gorge Bridge taken from the old New River Gorge Bridge. it's a little used road down the gorge that made for a great ride!

Weekend_Sawyer

These are a couple of shots taken by Killboy on the Tail of the Dragon.

Comin at ya!

See Ya!

Dan_Shade

nice trip, thanks for sharing.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!