iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New way to unload your logs

Started by florida, September 26, 2012, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

For you guys still using the old fashioned techniques here's how they do it in the Ukraine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8p2tSNYAiPM
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Chuck White

I'm pretty-much on pins and needles whenever I meet a loging truck!

Back when I was stationed in South Dakota I had a good friend who was killed when a small diameter log came off the top of a logging truck and came through his windshield, impaling him right there in the drivers seat.

He had some of his grandchildren in the car with him at the time.

So...... I give logging trucks all the room I can spare whenever I meet one.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

logboy

My old man dodged one while driving a customer's car (with the customer in the passenger seat). The trucker lost the rear of his log trailer on the snow and it came across the center line. My old man went down through the ditch to get away from it. The customer commended him on his driving.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Warbird

Wow.  I like how the guys get out and check their car before seeing if anyone else was hurt.

ouachita

The driver in the red car took evasive action and made a U turn.

Kansas

Had one guy bring in logs from Nebraska. His straps loosened, and when he got to the yard, logs were hanging over the side. We had to lift the logs with the skid steers so he could unstrap.

Then you have walnut logs in the spring when the bark starts to slip. Log truck going down the road, and a log slips out of the bark and is lying on the highway.

Ron Wenrich

You should see tulip poplar in the spring.  We've had them slip completely out of the bark when unloading, just like a banana.  Never lost any on the highway. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scsmith42

It looks like the truck had a brake failure and ran the red light.  You can see the car's in front of it hustling to get out of it's way.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Gotta love those distracted drivers! :o
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Rooster

Quote from: ouachita on September 29, 2012, 04:38:17 AM
The driver in the red car took evasive action and made a U turn.

Ahhh!...Now I get it...  the "U" in "U-turn" is for Ukraine.

I've been thinking all these years it was because the car travels in the shape of the letter "U".

My driver's ed. teacher is smiling down on me from heaven...he's probably stuck in traffic on the "Paved with gold Highway".  Thanks, Mr. M!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Bobus2003

Earlier this year we had a Loaded Pup Come unhitched from the tractor goin down the Interstate.. pup went down through the ditch took out a fence and a few trees before smashing through the back wall of Wal-Mart.. Logs were strewn all over the parking-lot

beenthere

One episode like that would be enough for a new law that says "no more pups". 

Doesn't take much.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

I've been at an intersection when a driver of a Semi Dump trailer load of demolition concrete shifted when he turned too fast just like in this video.
Thankfully there wasn't anyone in the lane he flopped over into.
I helped get him out of the cab.  It was scary, the motor was still trying to run.
The driver door was towards the sky and hard to open.

Jeff

Here is the longer version that shows the aftermath.

http://youtu.be/RzIDe5ApjC4
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bill Gaiche

I bet those extra driving points that he earned didn't help on his next job interview. Hopefully no one was injured. bg

beenthere

In Madison, there are some cow barns on campus. Couple years ago SIL and I were driving out of Madison and came to an intersection with about 8-10" of fresh cow manure on the road at the stop bar at the light. A couple deep ruts through the pile.  No one around paying too much attention to the mess.
Drove on and shortly came to the University Farms shop buildings. There was a dump truck there with a good high pile of cow manure on the hood, and a guy with a hose.   ;D ;D :D :D

He said someone ran the red light and he had to hit the brakes real hard. He said he was planning to go back down and clean up the intersection.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Happens around here with the chicken stuff. But that stuff does not stay too deep too long.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

We had a full 48" chip van flop over at the intersection of 115 and 55 in Cadillac because of a lazy driver.  He didn't like to crank up the empty vans high enough when he spotted them, and at times when he went to back under the loaded vans, they would be low, so he would not want to crank on the very difficult to turn landing gear crank, SO, the tractor was air ride. He would blow the air out of the tractor suspension, lowering the tractor, back under, then air the suspension back up. Problem was, the one time he did that the bottom jaws on the fifth wheel only locked around the head of the pin, instead of below it.  We heard later that when he made the turn in Harrison, that people in the jack-pine restaurant saw the rear wheels on the trailer pick up when he went around the corner there. His next hard turn was where he flopped over. Luckily, he didn't land on a car, which he almost did.  The highways were closed for many hours while the mess was cleaned up, as the top blew out of the van when it went over.

Made the nightly news on several local stations.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Quote from: Jeff on October 01, 2012, 09:03:23 AM
Here is the longer version that shows the aftermath.

Did the driver of the truck survive?  I note in this longer version that the cab got smashed in when it hit that pole.  :-\

thecfarm

There was a bad accident about 20 minutes from me a few years ago.. Trailer truck driver with a load of logs,maybe tree length took the corner a little too fast. Rolled over onto a mini van and a young girl in the back was killed. We went by it after many hours of it happening. I knew something happened,just did not know how bad until I got home.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

One of our logging foremen met a loaded logging tuck on a corner when the pole came out and peeled the side off his pickup, the the pintle hook was iced up and the driver had failed to make sure the latch fully closed. He was talking to dispatch and all she heard was OH #*%^ OH )$%& I'll call you back.  :D He wasn't hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Okrafarmer

When I was a kid, it seemed like a wheeler a week on its side. I'm sure it wasn't that bad, but I think they have tightened up the safety laws and enforcement since then. Since nothing much ever happens in Maine, a wheeler wreck usually made the newspaper, and I heard about it, because my parents worked for the newspaper. Then again, almost any wreck made the paper, whether anyone got hurt or not, and a lot of times the newspaper photographer got out there to take a picture. It was funny coming down here, and car wrecks are a dime a dozen PER DAY, and they don't make the news unless someone dies.

The other thing that happened in Maine all winter long, was people drowning from going through the lake ice on their snowmobiles (or vehicles).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

This guy had a bad day.

He was making a 90° turn and cut short.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

At least no one has to wonder if he knows how to tie down his load.  :-X Looks like one stack fell off. Hmm. The rest are hanging in there pretty good.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!