iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

in the market for....

Started by snaponman1526, January 23, 2010, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snaponman1526

hey guys....awesome site. i burn firewood for heat from usually october to april. ive been getting by with an old stihl av029. awesome saw but has a lot of time on it. so after talkin to the wife ive got the okay to purchase a new saw. i stopped by the stihl dealer and of course no professional saws in stock. but the 441 magnum really caught my eye. big bucks. i also stopped at the husky dealer and saw a brand new 372xp. of course both salesmen ranted and raved about their own saws but i was wondering out of these two choices which saw is a better choice for firewood and lot clearing. biggest tree i encounter is prob 36 in diameter. usually cut 8cord a year. thanks benn

tonto

I own a MS441 with 18", 20" and 25" bars. Best saw I have owned. Low vibes and less fuel consumption. Geat saw. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Cut4fun

JMO grab the 372xp while you can. They are being discontinued for the millionth time it seems. This month and only old stock is being sold from what I understand.

fishpharmer

Snapon, welcome to the Forestry Forum.   Can't really give you an opinion on those two models.  I lean toward Stihl, since I have a great dealer and support.  Husky sell's lots of saws too.  The 441 magnum will be a big jump up in size and power (I think).  Lot's of folks on here that know a lot more about chainsaw's than myself have been talking about the new emission regulations causing the discontinuation of some very good machines.  I really like my 361 for cutting firewood all day long.  They too have been discontinued, my dealer had 4 last week for +/- $600.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

windthrown

Both saws are going to set you back about $900. From my reading and limited use of the two saws, it is pretty much a coin toss. The 372xp is a winner all around. Husky is redesigning the 372xp/xpw this year to a startified air injected (strato) design though, so they are apt to be heavier and bulkier. The 441 is already redesigned with the starto engine. Both are smooth saws. I have all Stihls, so I might lean toward the 441, but I do not have one, nor do I need or want one. I would probably get the 372 Husky because like the 361 Stihl, its the last of the best of the non-strato engine design saws, and there are not many new ones left.

The existing non-strato 372xp plain model is not available locally any more. Only the non-strato 372xpw. As said, sales are limited in the US to existing saws on the shelves. No new ones can be made in the US or imported for 2010 EPA laws that are requiring the redesign of all saws (actually all small 2-stroke engines, not just chainsaws) to far stricter smog requirements. This is mainly happening becasue of a huge lobby effort by John Deere, who shot themselves in the foot. They owned the patents to a clean burning 2-stroke engine technology and pushed for tougher smog laws, hoping to corner the market. Then Stihl came out with an alternative clean burning engine, and JD figured that they could not dominate the market. So now JD is out of the hand held tool market completely, and sells Stihl and Honda small engine tools. Husky has also had to comply and is redeveloping their saws. Dolmar is also changing their saw models to comply, mainly by adding cats to their mufflers. 
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

snaponman1526

the stihl support around here in my opinion is awful. i dont mind paying for quality parts or service but i dont think that the stihl people i deal with are worth what they are charging. from what i gather from the local husqvarna dealer is that the 372xp was discontinued then was back in the making and now they're discontinued again. either way the dealer has 8 instock and says he sells way more smaller saws to the homeowners so i have no worry of missing out on one. i have a couple of weeks before i plan on starting for the next winter so i guess i just have to put some thought into it. also the 372xp could be mine for $804 out the door which i thought was a deal. i didnt even inquire about a cost of the stihl 441 magnum. decisions decisions

JohnG28

From what i gather, it sounds like your decision is already made...go with the 372xp, ive heard a lot of good things about it, and if you have better dealer support that should definately be the way to go...i personally have good stihl support, and like them, and was lucky enough to get last new 361 in my area, i really wanted to get a new saw that didnt have the new strato engine tech, and those saws are fading fast, as is the 372...if you can get a deal, then all the better...also, might check on discounts, i got $40 off the 361 because it was discontinued model
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

Quote from: snaponman1526 on January 23, 2010, 04:08:45 PM
the stihl support around here in my opinion is awful. .............

Where is "around here" ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snaponman1526

pennsylvania...where nj, ny and pa all join together

thecfarm

To me it would not make a difference.But dealer support would.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

windthrown

Around here Husky dealers are few, Dolmar dealers are non-existant (except on their web site) and Stihl dealers are on just about every corner. If you do not like one dealer, go to another. I do. I have over a dozen Stihl dealers here to choose from. And far more if I want to drive farther. I do that for buying some rare types of chains or odd parts. I think I have been in over 30 different Stihl shops in the west. There is only one that I flat refuse to deal with (Roy-Boys up in Portland, OR). They charge more for their saws than other dealers, and the puke behind the desk would not even look up a part number for me on a saw, becasue he claimed that the one I had was not the model that I had. I am used to knowing a lot more about Stihl saws than most dealers do here, but to refuse to look up a PN when I had an IPL in hand to contradict him? Well, that's just stupid and lost business for them. I buy a lot of Stihl saws too, and in this economy, I wish them luck. There is only one Husky dealer that I will buy from locally, and they are pretty good. They are also my local Kubota dealer. There are other Husky stores around here that are bog box, ranch supply, or lawn mower shops that do not really deal with pro size chainsaws. I try to avoid those places. JD dealers are selling Stihl saws here now and some older Stihl dealers are going under as a result. In some cases that has been a good thing though, becasue the only other place that I did not buy Stihl saws or parts from is no longer there becasue the JD dealer is just down the street.

des170stihl

Of course I would always pick a Stihl. Have.nt much faith in Husky products since they have sold out to a vacume cleaner co. named Electrolux. Hard telling where it,s built anymore. 
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

windthrown

Electrolux is no longer the parent company of Husqvarna Group. If anything its the other way around. I tried to figure out the corporate structure of Husqvarna once, and it is mind dizzying. About like General Dynamics was when I worked there. Several splinter companies, parent companies, US and 'rest of the world' divisions, and the like. If anything, I think that Husky sufferes from having chainsaws split amung different major groups of the company. Also the fact that they own many other name brand chainsaw companies, like Poulan. In fact, the Husky Group owns these chainsaw trade labels: Husqvarna, Jonsered, Zenoah (J-red in Japan), Poulan, Weed Eater, Partner, Flymo, Dasmant Baort and Gardena. Oh, and they bought up the McCulloch name. MAC is now Husky!

The exact relationship with Husky and Electrolux is foggy, but the last US recall of Husky lawn equipment was made by Electrolux Home Products Inc. Also on the Husqvarna Consumer Products pages, they have (or had) a photo of a vacuume cleaner on the Consumer Products division group. I believe that the parent company has controlling or a complete ownership interest in Electrolux, at least in the USA. I do not know about the 'Rest of the World' division.

Rocky_J

Well, General Electric builds everything from appliances to light bulbs to jet engines to television shows and movies. Big deal. Just because Husky is owned by a multinational conglomerate doesn't mean they aren't any good. I don't particularly care for most of their stuff but they make a half dozen really good saw models.

ford62783

i could have had a 372 for 699 outthe door i chose the newer model 576 for 739 cant beat the price and the quality a pund moore and 3 cc more and they cut great n problems and a 2 year warrenty im a big husqvarna guy but i had a stihl pay a lil more for them but i dnt think they are worth the price just went up 40 dollars here and a ms460 is around a grand already and i cant tell a diffrence in quality but it depends on how u like them to handle id look at the 576 husky before makeing a decion but id say use what u like the feel of
timberjack 240e

Cut4fun

Just so you know. I seen  the  baby brothers could be bought right now for $499. The 365 special.

567paloggger

for idk were your shopping for stihls i get ms660 magnums with 25inch bar for a grand out the door stihl are alot cheaper than huskys i have 8 saws only 2 huskys a dealer i went to yesterday has 3 ms361s im gonna grab 2 more monday ill have 5 361s now

Cut4fun

Quote from: 567paloggger on January 24, 2010, 08:38:48 AM
dealer i went to yesterday has 3 ms361s im gonna grab 2 more monday ill have 5 361s now

What do you use the 59cc saws for.    I have sold my 361 and 357 off because they fall in that in between class  I call bastard size and I either grab a 50cc or a 70cc first depending on job at hand. They were just setting so they had to go.

quietrangr

I've been using a 361 for two and a half years. I just bought a new one when the oiler quit, and will fix the old one for a spare. Had about 4000 hours on the 361, and still runs fine, though starting to cost me some for parts, (starter rope pulley, clutch, now oiler). I used my spare Jonsered 2171 for a couple of hours (same saw as a 372); the vibration wore me out. The 361 is a little slower but less tiring to run.

Rocky_J

The 460 oiler is a direct swap and will allow you to turn the oil flow up further if you like. Stihls have always been stingy on oil, but then they also sell overpriced bars and chains to make up for it.  8)

ford62783

i looked at 4 stihl dealers from saratoga ny to warrensburg ny and 2 husky dealers al the stihls where around the 940 to 980 range and the husky was from 729 to 850 for the 576 and 699 to 899 for the 372
timberjack 240e

quietrangr

Quote from: Rocky_J on January 24, 2010, 12:52:11 PM
The 460 oiler is a direct swap and will allow you to turn the oil flow up further if you like. Stihls have always been stingy on oil, but then they also sell overpriced bars and chains to make up for it.  8)

Seems like my 361 gets enough oil when turned all the way up for an 18 inch bar. I pay $58 for an 18 inch es bar, and $270 for a hundred foot roll of chain. Not much different from Oregon. I know the single chain price at the Stihl dealer is way high, though.

Cut4fun

I pay $34 for Oregon power match or Windsor speed tips 18" and $209 for my Oregon rolls.

quietrangr

Quote from: Cut4fun on January 24, 2010, 02:30:57 PM
I pay $34 for Oregon power match or Windsor speed tips 18" and $209 for my Oregon rolls.

Gonna get in trouble here, but I think Stihl bars are better. Oh, oh. But at $34 for Oregon bars, depending on the shipping price, that might be a better deal. Where do you get them for that price? I've seen that $209 price in Madsen's catalogs for square ground chain, which I can't use on hardwood. They quoted me $249 for Oregon LGX. After shipping, not much difference.

Cut4fun

I get my bars at the local Dolmar dealer for that price.  Sometimes even cheaper. Got a 20" large husky mount replaceable tip for $30 once last year.

The chain I order is the CL from Madsen's for my uses, it also can be round ground like LG. $209 + $15 ship.

I have plenty of ES bars too, some still new waiting. I just refuse to pay dealer prices for those. So I didnt included them in this thread for my 084's and 066.

Thank You Sponsors!