iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moisture meter

Started by xlogger, January 21, 2017, 02:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Has anyone used the Kil-mo-Trol that is used in kiln hooked to the Delmhorst meter? Does it work good and wonder what is the price?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Den Socling

It's just a multi-position switch. I have one somewhere around here. You can have it if you want. If I can find it, it has insulated pins and wire with it but you probably will need to buy more wire.

xlogger

I would be happy to pay for it if you think it gives good reading. Why don't you use it anymore.
Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Den Socling

I tried it in a vacuum kiln. Pins don't work in a vacuum because they make holes which are exposed to the vacuum. The result is that the wood dries faster around the pins and gives you a false reading. It will work fine in a conventional kiln. It's in like-new condition. All I have to do is find it. I took a quick look around but came up without it. Besides vacuum kilns that are running and vacuum kilns being built and conventional kiln controllers and tons of spare parts, there's also 2 cars and 3 motorcycles in here!  :D

If you pay shipping, it's free. Email me a shipping address. dsocling@vacdry.com I'll ask a couple people next week if they have seen it.

Den Socling

I looked again and found a wood shop, a machine shop, 4 bicycles and two snow blowers. But I'm making a list of where it isn't.  ;D

xlogger

Email sent. thanks. I see your address on your web site so just let me know when and how much to send. Thanks again, Ricky

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

They have been making the Kiln-Mo-Trl for decades.  It works best with air dried, but also can work with green if two different depths of pins are used.  Many things can go wrong, so it does take lots of care when using.  With proper use, it is a great tool and can be safely used to run a kiln.  However, when the run is complete, it is best to confirm the final MC readings using the oven test.  There is often variability at the end between the final readings and the true MC.  We had the best results when predrilling the holes to specific depths...this is a key...and do not just pound the needles in.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

I'm thinking about drilling smaller holes with I test with my meter. I'm bending too many pins.

Thank You Sponsors!