iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

garrett 21A pins and bushings

Started by treefaller, June 14, 2013, 10:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefaller

Does anyone know were I can get new pins and bushings for a Garrett 21A? I am hoping john might know.Thanks
garrett 21A,084,394,int.1600

thenorthman

this may or may not be kosher... whatever...

One of the Garrett decendants is tying to make sense of the old factory in Enumclaw, he may be able to help.
1 (360) 825-2500
Email   garrettskidders@hotmail.com

For pins and whatnot though I would think they are standard stuff, available at most hydraulic supply houses?

Or find a machine shop worth its salt and have em make a couple up for ya.
well that didn't work

treefaller

I do have calls and e-mails out to Adam but have not heard back yet. thanks

John Woodworth

I got my kits from Don at Garrett 10 years ago, I don't know who he had making them, I have  copies of the parts pages but can't figger out how to add them so will send by E-mail, is your address listed.
You will probably have to resort to a machine shop if the holes are hogged too much, they are self centering torrington bushings not solid bushings, a machine shop can rebuild the holes and linebore to accept the new bushings as well as make new pins to fit.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

treefaller

John I got the pictures thanks. What you said about the machine shop would I have to take the skidder to them to have that done? It is not an easy move.

John Woodworth

Depending on how bad the pin holes are hogged out and what it will take to get them to hold a bushing wether by welding up and line boring or by over boring and welding in a filler ring it just depends on how bad reguardless you have to break it in half to do the job, talk to your local machine shop and have them come and look at it and go with what they say even if you have to move it to their shop, there is no other option rather than doing it right the first time and they will know where to get the Torrington Bearings .
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

thecfarm

What is line boring? I hear it talked about on here and advertised too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2013, 07:04:48 AM
What is line boring? I hear it talked about on here and advertised too.

I'll bite...

Line boring is an expensive way of fixing worn out pin holes and making a sloppy machine tight again.

It involves welding on a jig, attaching a very specialized machine that welds up the old bore, then attaching a different machine that cuts said bore to proper size after welding.

Its called line boring because they can bore multiple holes at varying distances in a mostly straight line.

From what I've heard it takes a really long time to get up and running again.  Something like three days... and did I mention its expensive.  there are cheaper options such as a collapsable bushing and repin (there is a manufacures name I heard about them on this forum... can't remember it now)
well that didn't work

John Woodworth

talk to a machine shop like I said, you will get all kinds of advice on quick fixes or cheap fixes but the machine shop is going to tell you how to do it right, it's going to cost money, thats part of the pride of owership and the money you spend now you will have saved with cobbled up patch jobs and downtime again for the same problem down the road.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thenorthman

A possible cheap fix... (not sure but maybe...) is babbit works a lot like a bronze bushing except its poured into the hole while molten.  Just a guess on my part,  seems like the deere's blade bores have babbit in em... or a bronze bush?  Too much grease to tell for sure.

If it where to work babbit could be done in a day without completely tearing down the machine
well that didn't work

Thank You Sponsors!