iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pro Saw longevity???

Started by Woodhog, September 27, 2005, 12:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Anyone have any facts, figures or guesses on how long a saw such as a Sthil440 or Husky 372
would last before major problems start to develop, assuming it is fed the proper gas mix, fresh fuel, sharp chains, clean filters (good routine maintaince).

Assuming it is being used 6 days a weeks cutting around 6 cords of 8 foot wood per day, felling , limbing and bucking...hard but carefull useage in a professional setting, hot summers 80F and cold winters 30 F...

Thanks

leweee

I noticed that by not cutting in the green season,I cut twice the wood I use to between rebulds.026,028AV,044 used hard from leaf drop to bud pop. Crank seals & carb neoprene parts...twice as long for sure. Summer heat hard on saw parts ...not to mention the "operator". smiley_sweat_drop ::)

almost 2000 cord a year is a lot of wood :o....just a guess but I would say 1 to 2yrs. max between rebuilds for decent preformance. ;D

just in case I have beat upon a hornets nest here ...A short disclaimer here. ;D

Your mileage may vary
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Frickman

I've been told that Stihl figures about 1000 hours life expectancy for their pro saws. That's actual run time. After 1000 hours the saw has paid for itself and it's cheaper to just buy a new one. Most of the loggers around here, including myself, run them until they blow up or get smashed and then replace them. We save the old ones for parts, and every few years maybe have enough pieces to build another saw.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

spencerhenry

i like the older saws better, before the limiter caps on the mixture screws, and what ever other little emissions bs they put on them. my 1993 044 would out cut my 1999 066 until i opened up the muffler on it. my 1999 036 was a pig until i had it worked on. so i will rebuild my old saws before i buy a new one. 
back to original question. my 044 bought in 1993 used mosty recreationally, but i cut alot of wood, lasted until 2000 when i had a crankshaft seal go bad. it got rebuilt then, and ran better than ever before. i would just be guessing, but i would bet it had well over 1000 hrs on it.

Hoop

If you use a 372 professionally and work it hard, it will last anywhere from a year to 3 years before crapping out. 

IMHO, 6 cords a day is NOT working it hard.

I average 70 cords per week (average the lousy 40 cord week along with the occasional 100+ cord week).  Huskies are made to run hard and the saws are being built better every year.

Beware however of the Husqvarna 575.  Its a new saw.  Generally, when Huskie introduces a new saw, its an improvement over its predesessor.  The 575 is far worse than the 372 and its longevity  is questionable.

jokers

Quote from: Hoop on September 28, 2005, 10:51:44 AM
Beware however of the Husqvarna 575.........its longevity  is questionable.

Hoop,

What in the world are you basing that statement on?

Russ

Ron Scott

The full time cutters that I work with that work their saws all seasons, "hard" and "daily", tell me that they usually get a year out of their saws before they have them worn out and need a new one.
~Ron

Max sawdust

Hoop,
6 cords a day of small scrapy DanG redmaple for a DNR thinning s a lot of work, if you have to forward and stack at the landing too, without the right tools. :D

Why do you hate the 575 so much?
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sawguy21

Quote from: jokers on September 28, 2005, 11:22:33 AM
Hoop,

What in the world are you basing that statement on?

Russ
I was wondering that too. It hasn't been out long enough to provide reliable figures.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!