iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine market

Started by alanh, June 13, 2018, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

.. or should I say lack of a pine market. Why is there no demand? My son has been hauling for a tree guy with his tri axle grapple truck for a couple weeks, 200 loads of real nice 100 footers, most of them blow overs, destined for a tub grinder because nobody wants it...

dsroten

#1 white pine is $325/1000bf here for 16 foot logs

Tin Horse

There's been little interest in white pine where I am til about late last summer. Right now I can't keep up with board and batten. Some don't care if it's seasoned. I've sold two separate orders a few weeks ago. $4100.00. That goes a long way towards the new shop. I love feedback on the milling quality also. Both customers said they've never had better. :)
Don't really like milling this stuff but my production rate is not bad on my mill.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Southside

There is no new housing construction happening, couple that with the lower maintenance alternatives out there and the demand is flat.  Read an article earlier today that something along the lines of 50% of the millennial generation have no plans to own a home - let that sink in.  It's hard enough to buy a home when you really want one and are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to pull it off, but if you don't really care to own one then the market falls on it's face when nobody is out there pushing for more.  I sure don't want to own major stands of pine in another 25 years.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Huge drop in desire to own homes, yet homes cost more than they ever have.  Too much inflationary monetary policy.  Thanks FOMC. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

The DF hasn't seen a hit domestic or export, if it's long logs off of private, company ground it's no issue taking wood.

nativewolf

Wow.  I'd take them.  I can cut board fence and sell for close to a dollar a foot.  Make 0.50/foot even with costs.  But sadly I am way out of town.  No one else in the NE want 100' white pine?  Peter?
Liking Walnut

Dave Shepard

Quote from: alanh on June 13, 2018, 11:44:51 AM
.. or should I say lack of a pine market. Why is there no demand? My son has been hauling for a tree guy with his tri axle grapple truck for a couple weeks, 200 loads of real nice 100 footers, most of them blow overs, destined for a tub grinder because nobody wants it...
You can send the nice clear ones up here. You can cut them down to 50', if you really have to.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Firewoodjoe

Red pine is hot here. Always seems to be. Down to 5".

BargeMonkey

I got shut off on redpine today at the one local buyer, always nice to have a heads up. 👎 
 White pines moving, 300 per mbdft and any length down to 10". 

Peter Drouin

Storm trees are a bad investment, You don't know what's inside, Most times the log has a crack in it, When you open it up your lumber will fall apart.
At $2000 a load how many do you want?
W Pine here is .35 a bf del.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

CX3

No housing starts??? You must not get out much there are new buildings booming up all over the country.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Southside

There are some, but not booming around here, noting compared to 2006, it shows overall too given the price increase of existing homes.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

the lumber biz cant be to bad. timberharvesting mag has a story about all the new and enlarged mills coming on line in the south. up here i would say its fine. i know someone that just bough 25 new trailers to haul lumber with. the way i hear it there is a shortage of trucks to haul it

Thank You Sponsors!