iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmaster 25 inch planer

Started by woodmills1, May 12, 2009, 09:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pineywoods

Quote from: woodmills1 on May 12, 2009, 09:57:27 PM
anyone have one?

Have the 18 inch version. Neighbor has a 25, good machines...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

geils

25" with a first generation spiral head cutter.
Wayne Geils
Geils Woodworking
www.geilswoodworking.com
www.geilsandsonbuilders.com

ljmathias

Wow, you guys certainly have a way with words!  I'm also interested in this machine, especially with the upgrade to the pro-pack that has two routers plus all the bells and whistles that will allow three sided planing/molding.  Need to make a bunch of T&G flooring and interior siding for a house I'm working on and I already have the wood.  Real question is, are these machines good for the long haul- after I finish this project, will the 25" machine last a couple of years or the rest of my life however long that turns out to be.

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

iffy

pineywoods

LJ, the 25 inch model has some differences from the others besides just width. Has 4 feed rollers as opposed to 2, bigger motors standard. IF you gonna run moulding, get the separate moulding head. Yeah, you can remove the planer blades and put in cutters, but it's a pain.
Routers on the outfeed table-- Picky picky to get set up, and the feedstock must be accurately dimensioned, but it does work. Get the plastic bed overlay, makes a world of difference. Between my neighbors and myself, we have 4 of these units, 1 12 inch, 2 18's and a 25. Some are over 10 years old. Only seen 2 problems. One came from the factory with the chip breaker installed backwards, the other had a defective brush holder in the feed motor. Woodmaster replaced the motor under warranty. Factory support has been excellent. Mine has one local mod. I put a reversing switch on the feed motor control box, so I can back a board out of the planer. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

MattJ

Have you guys ever seen the logosol units that plane and have shapers built in on the side?  They have a model that planes the top and has a true shaper head on one side that can take shaper knives.  They also have a model that planes both top and bottom and has two shapers. 

I saw that running at the small sawmill I buy lumber from and it was extremely impressive.  A guy had ordered thousands of board feet of TG flooring from the sawmill and the guys at the mill were firing in rough saw boards as fast as they could and the most beautiful TG boards were coming out the other side.  It's a beast and built much heavier but not that much larger in size than the woodmaster.  The shaper motor will hold up better than a router, the tables on the infeed/outfeed were awesome, and the dust collection was very well designed.  I think the cost for the 1 planer / 1-shaper configuration is in the ballpark of the woodmaster.  The main drawback is it cannot handle material as wide as the woodmaster.

geils

I've been looking at the Logosol units for a few years now.  I just never had the power for the machine and I was never wild about the shallow depth of cut for the mouldings.  I've actually been more impressed with the Baker 412 unit.  I currently have a Woodmaster 25" unit and it's nice for planing down rough boards and I wanted something that could handle deep moulding profiles.  Plan is to use this in tandem with a 4 or 5 head machine.  I've had the woodmaster for 3 years and have only really needed the 25" width a handful of times.  I find the feed rate needs to be slowed down quite a bit to keep the RPM's of the cutters up when planing that wide.  It's a lot of wood being taken off at that width. 
The 4 head units are more than the woodmaster, but I've seen Logosol units in the $5-6K range on the used market.  All depends on your use for it.
Wayne Geils
Geils Woodworking
www.geilswoodworking.com
www.geilsandsonbuilders.com

Dan_Shade

I local fellow to me has a logosol 4 sided planer.  it's the cat's meow.  I've had him do a few runs for me.

I can't imagine doing more than 100BF with the woodmaster (though I've never used one).

A lot of being satisfied is what your expectations are.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

oldsaw

Wow, then I won't tell you what my Delta has been through.  I've done 200+ bft in an afternoon more than once.  Not bad for a tabletop.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dan_Shade

like I said, it's all about your expectations  :D

I had a delta 22-580, now I have a planer with a 5HP cutterhead.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodmills1

I can get a woodmaster 25 at a good deal.  I plan to use it only for planing and to dedicate my belsaw to moulding.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!