iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Passing knowledge to the next generation

Started by Howdy, January 09, 2018, 02:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

My grandson is a senior in highschool and loves to learn technical stuff so this year for Christmas he wanted some drafting tools.  As I usta be a draftsman and loved it I had retained many of my basic tools (triangles, scales, compasses, and other miscellaneous things) as I hated tossing away something that helped me earn a good living. 

He was delighted to get the tools and has already asked me for assistance designing assemblies for his robotics team.  I am a happy camper to share my love of drawing with his love of designing and look forward to many opportunities.

Just to be a little different, not that I am of course, I also gave him a couple of slide rules.  I was just learning how to use them when entering college in the early 70's just as the first calculators were arriving and cost $150 to do basic math with square root.  If he wants to learn how to use a slide rule I will need to relearn myself.  Happy campers all around.

Kbeitz

I still have a working $150.00 calculator with green numbers.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

JV

Glad you're passing on the knowledge and the tools.  I am starting my grandsons out on a foot powered lathe and hand tools.  I think they get a better understanding of the processes involve.

I still have a couple of slide rules stashed somewhere.  Dug out a Leroy lettering set a while back.  I had a math professor tell us years ago we could use calculators in class, problem was none of us could afford one.  I finally got a TI that was programmable with g codes.  My laptop is down along with my Autocad program so I'm back to drawing tools.  I got used to letting it do the work.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

WDH

I have been teaching my nephew a lot about woodworking and the wood business. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

maple flats

Teaching the younger generations is always rewarding.
Thinking back about those expensive calculators we had, reminds me of a college professor what taught us business math. The students all had calculators but the prof didn't believe in them. On one time each semester (I had him for 4 semesters) he would have a student write a long column of 4 digit numbers while he kept the rest of the class occupied at the other end of the room. Then on cue, he had us add (or subtract some as appropriate) using our calculators while he did the math in his head. He would write the answer on a piece of paper before most of use were still only half-2/3 done. He was always correct, we had errors many times.
He told us to practice what he does, just look at the first number (all 4 digits) don't say it, your brain knows, then look at the next. A total will register, then look at the next and continue all the way to the bottom, and then you finally state the answer in your head as you write it down, then to recheck do the same from bottom to top. He said he had checked his answers that way before we were done adding the first time thru.
I tried that method, but never mastered it, but I did get faster and more accurate with my over priced calculator. As for the prices, a little $2 or $3 calculator now days is better than the $100-150 one was back then (in the late 60's).
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Jeff

It's a shame that passing the information seems to only be cheerfully passed one way sometimes.  Case in point. And Tammy had to keep me heading in the right direction because I went instantly ornery and wanted to go back to the scene of the "offense"

We stopped into Jays sporting goods this weekend because I need a new travel/tote type bag because the zippers are shot in my old one.  We couldn't find anything in my price range ($20), so we were exiting the store using the shortest route possible from where we happened to be, and that route took us through the electronic section.  As we walked past the counter there were two young employees standing there talking to each other. Young, I mean probably mid 30's or so. As we passed I heard the one say to the other, "I'm simply not going to try and sell anything anymore to anyone born before 1980, because they are incapable of understanding anything electronic. I'm just wasting my time."   I asked Tammy, "did you hear what that guy said?"  She said "yes I did", then she grabbed my arm and spun me back around as I was trying to go back and give my input.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

About 10 years ago I started doing machine work on the metal lathe and milling machines.  I decided I needed a good handbook as a guide for some of the more complex operations.

"Machinery's Handbook  A reference book on machine design and shop practice for the mechanical engineer, draftsman, toolmaker and machinist."

My copy is 1936 but they have been published for over a 100 years.  The book is filled with math, some of which I do not understand.  Somewhat humbling that I do not know what a good draftsman or machinist must of know a 100 years ago.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Hilltop366

Jeff your story reminded me of a radio interview with one of the co-inventors of the CCD sensor, he was talking about being in a camera store looking at a digital camera and asked a question to the young salesman, The young guy replied saying something like "it is probably too technical (or complicated) for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Boyle

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!