iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old TJ to identify

Started by KWood255, September 13, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWood255

Hi all,
I just picked up another old TJ, but I do not know what model it is. It has a Detroit 3-53 with a front mount hydraulic pump. NP 540 transmission (4 speed with a reverse gear), does not have a reverser box. The skidder has the heavy Eaton planataries, and a Hercules winch.  Tires are 16.9x30. 

I'm thinking it from the 60's, and who knows what's been swapped over the years. Any guesses?

BurkettvilleBob

You know we're going to ask for pictures.......

Puffergas

Ah, pictures of old skidders! Is the steering valve in front or on the side?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Maine logger88

If it has Eaton rears it would be mid 70s or newer could get a lot closer if we had a pic to go off
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

bushmechanic

Sounds like a mix match machine to me! The 16.9/30 tires would point me in the direction of a 215, but I'm pretty sure they never came with Eaton diff's. The NP 540 is a five speed box, hence the 5 in the number tells what speed it is, most 200 series Timberjack skidders came with a 440 NP transmission. Really old Jacks didn't have a reverse box, but that was even before the Borg Warner with reverse box. If the Eaton rears were correct then the winch would have been Eaton also, unless that was swapped too!

Maine logger88

225s came with 16.9 rubber and I have seen a couple of those that had Eaton rears 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

KWood255

I will add a few pictures when I have a chance. I am somewhat leaning towards a mix match as well, except I don't see where there would of been enough room to have a reverser, unless the NP440 was much shorter than the 540...?

Perhaps a 225?

Mooseknuckle

If it has hydraulics on the right side of operator and hydraulic tank inside to the right of operator, with pump in the front of the machine it may be similar to the one I own.  
[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]Timberjack 230H 1965 SN#654015[/font][/font]

[font=.SF UI Text][font=.SFUIText]H is apparently for Hercules [/font][/font]

[font=.SFUIText]Model and S/N plate is to the right of your throttle foot.   [/font]
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Thank You Sponsors!