iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cat back hoe

Started by Peter Drouin, July 25, 2018, 08:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Looking for info on the pin that holds the boom to move left to right. 
On the 416 / 420. 
 Talking with guys about it wearing out in 4000 hrs.
Line boring is out because of the thing is cast iron.
 To me, that's a weak point.
Anyone know anything about it.
Thanks
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kiko

Line boring is not completely out. It can be bored and custom steel bushings installed.  Still expensive.

Peter Drouin

Is this a trend for the cat hoe, Are the new weak there?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Thanks, Kiko for your info. I was hoping some here knew something about backhoes, But I guess loggers don't use them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

snowstorm

you dont say what year it is. the first cat hoes. 80's. the hoe was a copy of a case. later cat had the curved boom. now almost everyone has it also. i would not expect the casting you refere to being cast iron. case always said theres is ductile iron. no matter what its made from its always moving and in the dirt.    i have spent a lot of time on case and jd hoes. and a few hrs on a 10 yr old cat. the cat was very nice

Riwaka

expander 'pins' are used in excavators if in a hurry to reduce pin slop for a while.

Expander portal global  (probably need to 3d metal print accurate inserts etc to take up slop)

Peter Drouin

Quote from: snowstorm on August 05, 2018, 07:16:13 AM
you dont say what year it is.
2005. My town has 2, 2006 and 7. The 2006 has 1200 hrs on it and is sloping around some already.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I just had my pins replaced on my 2006 420E IT.  They got bad around 4,000 hrs.  I have 5200 hrs on it or so when we did it.  I had my mechanic chang top and bottom pins bushings and bearings.  About $600 in parts and $600 in labor and good to go another 5000hrs.  Didn't need any line boring as the pin wore before the bushing so it was fine.  I had heard cat designs the pins so that they wear out first and you're supposta change two pins for every 1 bushing.  But I don't screw around I screw straight so I had em replace everything all in one shot.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!