iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

back in the woods and back in the game

Started by Quebecnewf, January 01, 2011, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

back in the woods
Well its the first day of 2011 and we got back in the woods today. Here we are standing alongside logs left in the woods from last year. Ice all melted and we had no snow.
As you can see we now have some snow but still no ice . We crossed to the mainland by boat. Hope things go better this winter but it looks bad so far very mild and still mild forcast.

Back in the game
2010 was the year that i found out in March i had prostate cancer/ operation in July/ now on the road to recovery and today the first of the new year was a good , no great day got back in the woods with wife and daughter can't ask for more than that . Well maybe a little more snow and a little more cold

Happy New Year to all

Quebecnewf

ellmoe

Looks like a good day. Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

SwampDonkey

Looks like a little bit of white stuff up there. It's like April weather down here. Got up to 47 F today. I was steam bending some ash, and my heavens it's warm. :D

Best of luck this winter, I am looking forward to some cold and snow here to run my new "experimental" sled, which should be ready in a week I hope.

You guys have any sawyer beetles up that way? Those logs would be riddled with pencil sized bore holes down here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Good to see you back.  I hate to see you do all of that logging work and not be able to get your logs out.  Here's hoping for cold weather and ice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Quebecnewf, most photos you see is people watching ball games and food being consumed on new years day. I like seeing your photos, lets me know that people out there have other good things to do also. Good luck at beating that nasty thing that attacked your body. Have a prosperous 2011.  bg

Ohio_Bill

Glad you are back in the woods . I pray that the olny thing that is lower than the Temp  is your  PSA score .  May you have a wonderful 2011 .

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

customdave

Yes, stay healthy & take care of  yourself, good logging in 2011!. Best of luck & happy new year...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

thecfarm

A day in the woods with family.How can you beat that. Hope the weather will treat you better this year.
I hope you have a good recovery from your prostate trouble. My Dad had it.Kept getting off the tractor to go.I gave him the riot act,for a wonder he listened,and went and had it checked out and had the operations and everything was fine after that. I have myself checked whenever I should.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ljmathias

Quebecnewf- glad to see you back at it.  My prostrate cancer showed up during an annual check up- digital detection, if you get my drift, and one thing led to another before prostrate removal.  Decided I'd rather have it out and sectioned for analysis than keep worrying about it during radiation treatment.  First PSA was not done right, scared the crap out of me, but been zero on retake and ever since so I guess they got it all.  Only down side to mine was nerve damage which led to an inability to ... well, whatever.  All in all, the tradeoff is worth it- much rather have no cancer and no fun than fun and cancer coming back. ;)

Best of luck on continued recovery and the rest of you males out there?  Get the annual checkup- worth the cost in the long run, not just for this but other body parts that fail as well.  Same doctor that found my prostrate tumor also found a heart murmur that turned into an aortic valve replacement that kept me from waking up dead way before my time.   8)

Happy 2011 everyone!

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Quebecnewf

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. i had some tough days for sure but no more than some guys have went through I'm sure.

Just look ahead and keep going day to day I guess

Another pic from yesterday the brook we had to cross was frozen in the middle but open water on each edge. |We had to cut trees and then shoot the snowmobiles of on the center cut trees and place on the other side and shoot them ashore. You have to be very careful not to hook a ski under the ice if you do that you have a wet day and maybe a wet machine. Spoils your day

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Well its now the 19th of Jan and we have enough snow to start hauling logs. Just barely.

Here we are taking our sleighs across to the mainland . Still no ice

In the woods ready to load and haul. We are hauling about 2 klm out to the shoreline whare we will stack them and get them by boat in the spring.

Quebecnewf

Got to be crazy to love this

beenthere

The pics looks like some good fun. But taking into account the total exercise, there just has to be some really great parts to overcome the real difficult ones. :)
That coffee break looks like fun, when the sun shines, the wind isn't blowing, and it isn't below zero F deg.

Sorry to hear about the water not freezing. Looks to make you a lot more work to get eR dun.

Thanks for the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I had been wondering how you were progressing with your logs.  Thanks for the update and pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Quebecnewf

Well it is now late in Jan and we are getting the logs moved to the shoreline . Moved 60 today for a total of 166 . 25 left in the woods . Snow coming in the next day or so.

These are piles at the shore . We will raft them home to the mill in the spring

still no ice bridge to the island

maybe in a week or so calls for colder in the next week

Quebecnewf

Magicman

At least you have a plan.  I hope that you are able to get them all to the sawmill.

SwampDonkey

I hope you get them out to. That's a lot of work to have them spoil. But, I'm afraid you might not get much snow and the trend is a warm up from the little cold snap we had recently.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

Hey Newf;
Would they not be dry enough now to boom up and float them over?
We got a foot of snow and I managed to get the trails broke in again.
The remaining logs were skidded out yesterday so now it's time to go back in a cut a few more, it's looking good here right now.

Quebecnewf

They float any time but you cannot do that type of work now the water is too cold.  Hopefully in April or maybe in late March

Quebecnewf

g_man

I really enjoy your great pictures. Looks like your gaining on your  work. Now mother nature has to help. Always seems to be the case. What do you do with the logs ? Sell them or do you have your own mill?

Kevin

I don't think they all float, some see the bottom.
I don't know if it's because they are green and heavy or water soaked from being in the drink too long.

SwampDonkey

MC of 200% and they'll sink.

An estimate of a sinking log is made with green specific gravity (Gg).

Gg of balsam is 0.34, as a point of reference MC green is 108% (averaged across 30% sap and 70% heart)

MCsink = 100 x (1-0.34)
          = 194%

Gg of spruce is 0.36, reference MC green of black spruce is 70%. So plug that in and it works out to 178% for it to sink.

Quebecnewf

None of our softwood (spruce and fir) sink. They will sink of course if you leave them in the water long enough. They of course float higher in the salt water than they do in the fresh.

Quebecnewf

SwampDonkey

Yes, the only logs I saw sink, and not all of them either, was when the government installed dams on the upper lakes that feed the Tobique river. Majority of the spruce-fir never even sunk after floating in water for about 50 years. It became bleached driftwood all along the lake shores. They had a big cleanup around all the dams, even on the main river to remove it all back in the 90's.

Quebecnewf

Well the ice bridge has formed . Been crossing about 2 weeks now. We have some snow and have managed to move all the logs we cut last year to the shoreline (200). Will raft them home to the mill later this spring.

We have now started to cut a few new logs (70 so far) we are placing them on a small island near the other logs once again to raft in the spring.

Gas here is now at 1.68 per liter . Very expensive to haul any distance by snowmobile.

A few pics of the start of our new log pile

Quebecnewf

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!