iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I-Phones Tips

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, October 13, 2014, 10:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Thanks for the tips.  Im fixin to upgrade to an I Phone. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

giant splinter

Thanks David,
Some handy stuff, it will make things easier. materhead
roll with it

Larry

Cool

I'll use the level app a lot and its going to save a lot of steps. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

terrifictimbersllc

Very cool. 

This post prompted me to look up how to move the cursor in typing on an iPhone.  It's difficult to put it where I want it sometimes just by poking around. 
Just hold down your finger over the text and a magnifying glass appears with the cursor in it. Move the glass to place the cursor where you want it.

https://snapguide.com/guides/move-the-cursor-on-iphone-exactly-where-you-need/
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Gary_C

Here is another tip Apple doesn't want you to know.

Get a life, not an I-Phone.   :)

Remember the old saying that "children should be seen and not heard?" Well now both things have become true. The kids (and many adults) have become almost invisible and quietly playing with their I-Phones while the world passes them by.

This has been posted before, but it's so true.  Look Up
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

clearcut

If you get or have an iPhone, consider turning on the Find My iPhone feature which is off by default. It's under Settings / iCloud / Find My iPhone. It allows you to locate your iPhone should it go missing, play a loud sound, remotely lock, or remotely wipe the device.

On iOS 8 (most current version) there is an option to Send Last Location. Just before the battery dies, the iPhone sends its location which is saved in iCloud. Otherwise the last know location is lost after 24 hours.

There are similar settings or applications for Android phones depending on which version you are using. With current versions you can turn on this feature in Android Device Manager.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Gary_C on October 14, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
Here is another tip Apple doesn't want you to know.

Get a life, not an I-Phone.   :)

I use my phone a lot but I'm not one of those who walks around with their head down walking in the path of a tractor trailer or off the pier on the lake. :D
I use mine to take pics of lumber, post and edit lumber sales on the internet. I send direct pictures to customers from the mill. I answer text and take phone calls. I use the Forestry Forum tool box to figure things at the mill.
If I have a problem....and I have, I have directly sent a pic to Woodmizer to take a look at a specific problem on my mill. All in all......my i-phone has made me money and saved me money. Ahhhhhhh....I have a life!  surfer-smiley

beenthere

clearcut
What do you need to do to "find" your iPhone?  Dial it, or send a message, from another smart phone? or?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

Once you turn it on (on the phone), you can then go to a computer and look up its location in your i-Cloud account.   So your wife can see where you are rather than texting questions about when you'll be home. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

clearcut

You either visit iCloud.com with your Apple ID, the one you use to sign onto iTunes, or use another iDevice with the Find my iPhone app.

https://www.icloud.com/#find

The advantage over just calling the phone is that the sound is sent at full volume and overrides the mute button. It also rings longer and does not get sent to voice mail.

With Android phones, you visit

https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have to admit.....I drop my phone in the woods last year. By the time I discovered it was gone I realized there was quite a few places it could be, including a 20 acre plowed field.
I went straight to my laptop and pulled up....find my phone.....it gave the satellite map and pin pointed the location in the woods down next to the creek. I went right to it and next to it was my chainsaw wrench.  :D

sawguy21

I could use that when I lose my mind.  :D I upgraded to an iphone and quite frankly find it to be a pain in the adze. A lot of stuff I have no interest in using, takes some fumbling to get it to do what I want it to do and uses up the battery plotting it's next evil deed even when turned off. Unless I watch the charge it's DOA when I want to use it. Make a call, take a call, voice messaging and call display. My needs are simple.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

clearcut

I just switched from an Android to an iPhone and it's a much better experience for me. I used the phone all day listening to audio and it still has 44% charge. My Android would have been on the charger twice by now.

If you are having battery issues, newer versions of iOS have a battery usage indicator under Settings / General / Usage / Battery Usage, which shows what apps are using the battery. There could be something running in the background (GPS app?) that can really hit the battery hard.

Having LTE on where there is no LTE signal is notorious for draining the batteries. The cell radio is calling - is there any LTE out there and not getting an answer. It then ramps up to a higher power mode. If you are rarely around an LTE signal, then disable it under Setting / Cellular / Enable LTE.

The same is true for WiFi. If you are not around a WiFi network, that radio goes into a high power mode that drains the battery.

clearcut

@sawguy21, Another though regarding iPhone battery life.I just remembered this:

QuoteApple has determined that a very small percentage of iPhone 5 devices may suddenly experience shorter battery life or need to be charged more frequently. The affected iPhone 5 devices were sold between September 2012 and January 2013 and fall within a limited serial number range.

If your iPhone 5 is experiencing these symptoms and meets the eligibility requirements noted below, Apple will replace your iPhone 5 battery, free of charge.

See if your iPhone is eligible here:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-battery/

petefrom bearswamp

I use an LG android so cant speak to iphone issues re battery.
My LG G2 will go nearly 3 days on one charge if I stay off of mobile data, wifi and have tower signal. (ATT).
I have often been tempted to go the Iphone route but money is a concern.
I own my phone and use straight talk unlimited talk text and data for 45 per mo plus taxes
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

The only reason I have an I-phone is it works most everywhere I go in the world. When I first got one, there weren't any other options for smart phones other than blackberry. I've just stuck with it because it's what I started with. Don't know didly about most of the functions and nothing about apps. I can take pictures and set an alarm. Finally learning how to use the map function. Still on an I-phone 3. have no clue at all about the later models.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

OneWithWood

Lee, how do you handle the roaming charges when you are overseas? 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

I have an international plan with ATT. Most places there is no roaming charge with this. In the places that there are, it's just, "Hi baby, I'm Alive and here. Will call when I get back to the states". Don't talk much even where there are no roaming charges. Still costs too much. the phone is mainly so I can call if I have to to arrange delayed/canceled flights, no driver, and things like that. I also try to do the text thing when I have to call the office over here when there is no driver and such. I have a cheap unlocked phone that I really need to get a local sim card for. I have a US card for it and it is my emergency phone if I loose my smart phone, which has disappeared from my pocket before. Charging it may be an issue. I have to carry aseveral different adapters to be able to plug in where ever I might be. Not all electrical sockets are the same as ours, although many hotels now have multi style outlets now. We mainly use skype or facebook when I'm in the hotel or on the rig. I could use the rig phone if I wanted but I would rather do video calling on fb. Years ago all we had was maybe one call a week for just a few minutes and before that it was ship to shore radio call. Satellite has made all that much better.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

If you are only going to one country, buy a local prepaid SIM card  for your phone. You get a new local number, but only get charged whatever the locals would pay.

That's what we do when we go to Australia or the Islands. ~$50 for a couple of weeks local use of the phone and some data isn't a bad deal.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!