iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Camphor tree???

Started by brdmkr, June 08, 2007, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

A recent storm knocked down a couple of trees in this fellow's back yard that he says I can have if I want  them.   I went over to look at them and the bark definately looks like sasafras and the roots smell like sassafras, but there is only one leaf type.  I have never seen a camphor tree and I am wondering if that is what this could be.  The funny thing is this tree does not smell like camphor.  It smells like sassafras.  I have never seen any really big sassafras.  Do they always have the 3 leaf types or do they transition to just the one shape????

If this is camphor, are there any special sawing instructions??  Better flat or quarter sawn etc.?

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dodgy Loner

Although camphor tree is in the same family as sassafras, the two are quite easy to tell apart.  Camphor tree has smooth, unlobed leaves with pointed tips.  Sassafras usually, but not always, has three leaf shapes, as you mentioned.  Occasionally you will come across a sassafras that has no lobed leaves (they tend to be older trees).  In this case, the leaves will be hairy and have rounded tips.

If it looks like a sassafras and smells like a sassafras...you know the rest ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!