iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We need ideas on how to deal with this monster log...

Started by JSwigga, February 12, 2013, 11:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

Wow...that's a great log. the bark looks like pin oak. It will certainly make some great lumber. On one side it looks like it has marks from an old lightning strike. if so, some of the wood surrounding it may or may give some trouble when you dry it. if you have access to a bandsaw, I would opt for breaking it down for wide QS as that is where the most value is. imagine two book matched 24" 6/4 boards for a DR table top. definitely some exciting possibilities. If you only have the Lucas, you can still break it down, but it will involve multiple setups and some turning. Member scsmith has dealt with these size and bigger logs before and can provide some excellent guidance. Oaks of that size can sometimes have compression wood (Quilting) in the lower part of the log. I have cut a couple big ones (not quite that size) where that was the case. beautiful wood no matter how you saw it.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Danny and I are ready. Wow what a log. I can hear Danny now, talking me into it using big words. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Compensation

D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

JSwigga

I don't want to go the black powder way.  I have access to a nice 48" chainsaw.  We will probably just use that to quarter it up.  I have the upper to that tree too. Only thing is, it has a pretty big check in the middle of it already.  But it should fit in my slabber mill.  Quarter one log and slab the other.  Best of both worlds!  oh and yea we did buy it from a local tree service.  He just told me he had a really big oak..he wasn't kidding. :o
This is a pic of upper and its check  :-[
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

fishpharmer

DonK's big log in the video was first cut vertically down the center (from the top, obviously),  then it was jacked apart into halves.  Then the halves were quartered.  Finally, DonK produced some beautiful quartersawn lumber on his Woodmizer LT40.

I look forward to seeing how your big oak turns out. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Quote from: Tree Feller on February 13, 2013, 11:55:37 AM
I would call Customsawyer. Works for WDH!   :D :D :D

Yes, it is nice to have a Big Log Consultant  :D.

This is going to be a lot of fun to follow!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That log would suck up my full 5 gallons of Anchor Seal.   :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

From what I can see in the pic, it is old.  You will be too after you fool around with that thing  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NWP

I want to know how they loaded and unloaded it.  That's heavy.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Tree Feller

Quote from: hackberry jake on February 13, 2013, 01:23:41 AM
Perfect log for quarter sawn oak! Can you imagine what a quarter sawn oak board 30" wide would be worth? $$$$

Jake, that's what I keep thinking about every time I look at the pic of that log.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

sigidi

For my 2c worth, I'd slab the top, roll it 180 deg, slab it again until it was just thinner than my slabber then slab it out in 5' wide slabs
Always willing to help - Allan

Finn1903

Nice you have it delivered, I passed up a big oak a month ago because I would have had to move it from a yard.  I was not set up for 5 tons in a trunk, plus the guy wanted money for the log. 
I would first find out what kind of market you have.  Maybe a couple table tops off the but flare.  Then cut the cants with a chainsaw and then put it on the bandsaw.
Good luck, careful, that looks heavy.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

tyb525

Approx 18,800 pounds, assuming the middle dbh is 67"
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: tyb525 on February 14, 2013, 05:40:19 PM
Approx 18,800 pounds, assuming the middle dbh is 67"

Geeeeeee.......that's a bunch of weight.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

How many board feet did the two logs scale out to be?  I figured over 1000, but if the weight is what was calculated it comes to over 3000,  I got to know,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

tyb525

About 2mbf (2000bf) international if you go by the small end. But I bet you could get more out of it than that, especially if you cut shorter boards out of the taper.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

customsawyer

I sat all day on the deck waiting for this log to be delivered. Needless to say it hasn't showed up yet. I still have high hopes.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!