iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you save a pine tree once pine beetles get into it?

Started by scsmith42, August 31, 2015, 09:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I'm familiar with the tell-tale signs of pine beetles where you see the "popcorn" pine sap on the outside of the tree.  Today I noticed that one of the large pine's near the house had several popcorns evident on the bark.

Is there anything that I can spray into the hole to kill the beetles w/o killing the tree?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mesquite buckeye

The resin is the pine fighting the beetles. If the tree is otherwise healthy and you are not in a drought, and there are not a ton of beetles the tree could be just fine. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Where on the tree are the pitch tubes located?  If very low on the trunk and if there are only a few, it is probably black turpentine beetle, and the tree can survive them.  Ips beetles usually hit the top half of the tree, not the lower but section. 

By the time that you see a lot of pitch tubes, it is already too late to spray. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I posted these pictures in Nov, 2012, because I was concerned about the pitch tubes.  They are now fine with no evidence of further damage.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

It's easy to take trees for granted but I am still amazed at how adaptable they are.  Growing around and through things, protecting themselves from attack.  They can even survive fires.  They can't survive a saw, though.  Good thing they're renewable!  I firmly believe that trees are the number one renewable resource on the planet.  Of course, this doesn't factor in sun, wind and water.

I've got a red maple the stupid horses got to a few years back.  About 20" dbh.  It had a recessed area that they couldn't get to and chew the bark off.  That 1 1/2" strip of bark is feeding the entire tree and it's as healthy looking as the rest of the trees and showing remarkable progress in building itself back to normal.  I suppose this would be a hollow tree if I let it live long enough, huh?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2015, 07:41:17 AM
Where on the tree are the pitch tubes located?  If very low on the trunk and if there are only a few, it is probably black turpentine beetle, and the tree can survive them.  Ips beetles usually hit the top half of the tree, not the lower but section. 

By the time that you see a lot of pitch tubes, it is already too late to spray.

Danny, it's in the bottom 10' or so of trunk.  The popcorn is not as large as what Lynn posted (about 1/4 that size).

clearcut

A healthy tree can survive a bark beetle attack. The pitch tubes are the tree's defense, pushing out the boring beetle. If the tree is heathy, has enough room to grow, an enough moisture, the pitch eliminates the beetle before it can cause much damage.

Now if the tree is stressed in some manner, and the beetles can sense a tree under stress, the beetle can get past the pitch and infest the tree. The successful beetle then exudes a pheromone that attracts other beetles to the tree. They feed, lay eggs, and the larvae begin to construct the galleries indicative of a bark beetle attack.

But the galleries are not what eventually kills the tree. The beetles will carry a fungus that blocks the water conducting tissues. The tree cannot transport water or nutrients and dies.

Once you have a mass attack, successful egg laying, and fungal infection, the tree is unlikely to survive.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

scsmith42

Guys, thanks for the additional info (and education).

Is there anything that I should apply or just let nature take it's course?

mesquite buckeye

There are systemic insecticides that would enhance the tree's defenses. Some are a bit phytotoxic, so do your homework and follow the label instructions. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!