iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Unless somebody saw it and states otherwise, no I have never done that!  Just line I have never hit the down toggle on the set works with the blade in a kerf!    :-X ::)

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: samandothers on February 28, 2019, 10:13:30 AM
Unless somebody saw it and states otherwise, no I have never done that!  Just line I have never hit the down toggle on the set works with the blade in a kerf!    :-X ::)
That sounds exciting!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

We always told the nervous boys getting stitches, and worried they might cry, "what happens in the ED, stays in the ED."  Or another favorite, " If a man says something, and no woman is around to hear it, is he still wrong!"  I think we are safe sharing our "learning experiences" here! :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

I dunno Doc, I always found that reminding them 'Chicks dig scars' usually worked well, if they were of a certain age bracket, say 11 to about 85 years of age.  ;D :D
 And NO, if a woman wasn't around to hear/see it, it didn't happen, (until she heard about it from 'her friend').
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

scrout

A "blade" describes various cutting devices that invariably hit every other freaking device in close proximity.

Texas Ranger

I keep coming back to these posts, primarily because a day seldom goes by without me doing something dumb.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

this one should be as popular as the weather post, happens everyday. :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

SawyerTed

If this were to happen to me me it usually wouldn't be the end of the log, it would be the hump or knot I forget about and don't raise the blade to clear it.  That is "if" it were to happen to me...... (I did just exactly that Saturday with a new and potentially very good customer off bearing).

The odds of sawing into the log stops or clamp, knocking a blade off or forgetting to drop the toe boards is directly proportionate to the size of the audience and value of the log.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Mike W

Well being a bit tired and a bit lazy at the end of the day, I did the dumbest thing ever, i consulted with the only occupation that allows you to be wrong 100% of the time and still have that job, you guessed it, the weather man.  Clear skies over night, so no need to go dig out the metal sheeting to cover the days worth of sticker'ed lumber, will just do it in the morning.  Well 1 foot of snow later, I now have SCD (snow covered drying), a close cousin to another disease with a similar acronym.  As for what else I have done dumb lately, no one has that much time or desire to read that much in a single post...... :-\

firefighter ontheside

Well, a really cold, dry snow may be good for dehydrating your lumber.  We are supposed to get about 7" of just that this weekend so maybe I'll give it a try.   :D
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

buzywoodliff

my mill is manual up and down via a crank, i've gone the wrong way twice now and threw the blade when returning to home position, both times when theres an audience of course

firefighter ontheside

Yep, that's how I did it.  Manual mill.  Turned handle wrong way and yanked mill back toward other end.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Rhodemont

I need to make an appointment with my doctor for misuse of my one-dumb-aday prescription.  I used 3 yesterday.
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

firefighter ontheside

Definitely hate to overdose on that prescription.  Maybe your doctor just needs to up your dose.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I think if you are using 3 a day, you prob. need treatment.  abuse potential is real!!!   :D

GAB

Quote from: Rhodemont on March 04, 2019, 06:24:57 AM
I need to make an appointment with my doctor for misuse of my one-dumb-aday prescription.  I used 3 yesterday.
How early did you start and how late did you go?
Good luck at the pharmacy getting that prescription filled.
When I asked the pharmacist for patience they told me it was on back order.
I try to learn from my not so wise moves.  
I have taken chances that I knew could cost me a blade.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Not sure if I learned anything reading this page.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

alan gage

Maybe someone should start a Whatcha' dumbin' thread.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

firefighter ontheside

Luckily for me, I haven't done anything dumb since I started this thread a week ago.  Do you believe me?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

Not sure if I have done anything dumb today cause my wife is working till 9 pm.  she will let me know when she gets home.lol.  As well, the day is still young.

Mike W

FireFighter,

No, not really, then again, maybe you just haven't done anything since you started this thread ;D, that would change my opinion to plausible :D

Doc,

agreed, I always say the day is still young enough for a lot to go wrong :-\ 

Old Greenhorn

OK, my turn I guess. Nice day today and I have cabin fever. I haven't cut in a couple of months now and there is this 65' snag I have to look at each time I leave my driveway. It's been there 15 years. A rotten EWP locked into a leaning 75' maple. It's a 'little' tricky and last March I did a much more dangerous complex 4 way tie-up right next to it (all hurricane Irene damage).
Anyway, before diving in, I wanted to get my sea legs back and had all these pines and one oak that had been down nearly as long. They needed to be bucked into something drag able, and some were a little hung up at head height. Lots of little forces involved with the twists and crotch jams. Well, you guessed it, I mis-judged the loading on one and got the saw pinched good in the oak. I didn't have another saw handy and didn't want to walk back, tried the wedge thing (as you can see in the photo), but wound up cutting it out with an ax. NO, I did not hit the bar or the chain with the ax. It was like surgery (OK Doc, maybe not quite surgery, but it worked fine, allow me the metaphor). I got it out. Still feel stupid though. The photographic evidence provided shows the saw just prior to removal after I had freed it up.
I did get the big snag down, but it took most of the day with trying to plan the way it shifted with each 4' chunk I took off the bottom. I did a LOT of wedge pounding, more than I have ever done on a single tree, let alone in a single day. Used every wedge I had in my pouch. My dumbest move of the day was around 3:30 when I realized I could not longer control either ax or saw above my shoulder height. I should have quit for the day, but I wanted that DanG tree on the ground and kept going. Now I feel pretty darn sore (I did get it down and bucked). Not using those muscles for several months sure has put a hurtin' on me. I could crawl into bed right now, but I am expected at the neighbors to shoot pool and be jovial in a little while. Time for more Advil.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Mike W

OG,

Well overall seems like a success story, just the scenic route was taken was all.  At least it was Advil, had it been Tylenol, you'd have to have stopped every 4 hours for some more :D and that snag might not have been completed in a single day.  See, not so dumb after all.   8)

glad to see it all come together in the end, and you are still in one piece to boot, a win / win in my books

Best,  

firefighter ontheside

That definitely sounded like a challenge, OG, but you persevered in the end.  That's a good day.  Now rest those arms.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

OG, at least you didn't get your panties in a bunch when you got your bar in a pinch.  sign of maturity.   smiley_old_guy

Thank You Sponsors!