iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Giant Tree hunting

Started by Dave Shepard, September 05, 2007, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Quote from: turningfool on October 29, 2007, 05:38:10 PM
wow! its hard to imagine vines that big :o

We have a 'tree' here that starts out life as a vine. Grows high up in the tops of big Rimu trees and eventually sends a vine down to the ground.

Lil standing beside a large rata 'tree' The original host is completely gone, just the vines left.

A whole rata tree.  Now Thats A VINE  ;D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

That is pretty wild. Is the host killed by the vine, or does it die of old age?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

I think the host tree mainly dies of old age. It's a pretty long term thing, the rimu are 400-800 years old, then the rata takes over and lives for hundreds more.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

CALSAW

Here's a couple old relics on the Olympic peninsula of Washington state.

Rainforest giants.
These are western red cedar, thuja plicata.
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

beenthere

She doesn't look like a relic, to me at least... ;D

Spectacular trees.

Your pics don't need to be that small... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Cool! That little sucker your leaning on in the top pic is an average sized tree out here. ::) ;D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CALSAW

smiley_embarrased smiley_whip The trees.... I mean't the trees are old relics!
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

SwampDonkey

The bottom one is one of those 2- 7.5 meter diameter tape measurements. It was scary in under them, sometimes they were not all alive above. And I can tell ya, the hard hat won't help. It will be all over before your brain could register the pain. ;D

Speaking from my experience on the Charlottes here. And yup there was vines, salal. Not big enough for turning, but a mess all over the tree trunks and shrubs you have to trek through in some areas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

CALSAW

This one was a couple of miles away from the two in my post above.
Stood by itself in a sea of young second growth.
These pictures are from my honeymoon in 2005, my wife likes trees! 8) 8)

My wife Christine, with a monster behind her.  :o
Lucas 827 w/ slabber

treecyclers

Howzabowthisun?
The post to the right  of the tree is 4' tall, to give perspective....
This is the one I was talkin about!
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

CALSAW

Lucas 827 w/ slabber

treecyclers

That beast is located in Skull Valley, AZ, about 20 miles west of Prescott, on a dirt road on the way to my buddy's house.
There's a second one that's almost as big, about 50 meters behind it.
I'm not sure that my largest saw could take it down, with that much girth.
The longest bar I have for my saws is 5'6", and I think that one is a might bigger than two passes with that bar.
Dave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Brian Beauchamp

We have a big Sycamore on our place...86" dbh, ~90 feet tall and crown width is 130' at its widest point (average of 107.5')...I meant to get a pic of it for ya'll today, but I couldn't locate my camera.  :-\

Jeff

I thought this might be a good place to recycle this photo I took of Stacy standing near the "Treaty oak". A live Oak in Jacksonville Florida that Tom took us to see several years ago.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mdvaden

Too bad they won't support themselves, but I'd sure like to submit the giant poison oak I found in the redwoods.

4" diameter trunk - over 120' high.

In fact, dropping in on this forum today, and writing about Oregon's champion Sitka Spruce that snapped in 1/2 yesterday, gave me an idea  8)

I'm going to start a Champion small shrubs and native plants registry for the West coast.

And start with that vine !! Why not. It's a whole new realm for people to begin hunting  ;D

EDIT...................

I kid you not - just started the submission guidelines. 4 regions for now. west, central, east, and Canada. Alaska and Hawaii are western.

When I'm done, I'll post the URL.

This will open up a whole entire broad range of champions.

I'll do this for a year, and it will work, or not.  :P

EDIT.....................

Okay, got it in place. But I have to stick to my own region to avoid being overwhelmed. Not with replies, but just the concept of a lot of plants I don't know.

So its basically PNW.

$50 gift certificate Contest included - winner chosen after one year.

http://turftotrees.com has the thread: look for "Champion Shrubs" and "Contest".  ;D

HOOF-ER

Didn't believe it till I seen it. My uncle had a piece of property that had some bottom ground. He asked how big sassafras got. I said around a foot diameter.(They grow as scrub brush in fencerows here.) He proceded to take us out to the woods and show us an enormous tree. There was no doubt it was sassafras. My dad and I together came up about 2 ft short of reaching around it.
My uncle could not bring himself to cut it. Years later he sold the property and the first thing the new owner did was cut that tree and milled it into studs and rafters for a new home. (It did the whole house!) What a waste :'( :'(  How I wish I had pictures of that tree , it may have been a record.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Dave Shepard

Wasn't sassafrass, in some form, shipped back to England by the colonists to make tea and other medicinals? Almost as important as the tobacco, if I remember right.

Dave

HOOF-ER

Sassafras is used as tea. I really like it. The bark off the roots are used. When I was a kid, dad would bring home a piece of root big enough for  the tea pot . We would boil the teapot full of water (make sure to wash the dirt out first) then steep the piece of root in it.  I believe that USDA has a warning that it may be carcinogenic. Guess we all have to die of something. Sorry I'm off topic.

SwampDonkey

Tree bark of eastern (northern) white cedar was steeped as a tea for scurvy. Thus, Arbor Vitae (tree of life) became a common name. There are a few old cedar left around, but they have been mostly cut. We have a lot of cedar stands in my area though. Some (very few) of the old cedar is 20" or larger and then there are a lot of old cedar that are barely 8" and 180+ years old.

I remember talking to one logger and if I said I saw a cedar 22" he'd say he just cut some 24". Same with about any tree, he was always cutting a bigger one. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HOOF-ER

Arbor vitae- I thought that it was mostly ornamental. Well around here it is only found in yards and such. Never really though about it being a cedar? I will see if a tree service turns one up , sounds fun to saw :)

SwampDonkey

Some cultivars are ornamental. Around the nurseries here they sell what they call globe cedar and pyramid cedar. Read the latin on the tag. Usually, Thuja orientalis, Oriental cedar, whereas eastern white is Thuja occidentalis

HOOF-ER

Always learning...thanks for the education. This is better than going to school. I have learned tremendous amounts already.

Has anyone else seen or heard of big sassafras. Just curious.

Furby

Been meaning to check on a big Red Oak I know of in the park up the road from my parents place, just haven't gotten it done until today.
Loaded up one of the dogs and one of my kids sisters decided to tag along.
Turns out it's only 52" dbh and it's got a big scar up the side just like Turningfools 56"er.
Found a nice 34" Ash and a nice 34" White Oak as well.
It was getting dark so a lot of my pics didn't turn out, but I think I'll be back there soon. :)

turningfool

hey furb...i think when we go back in the spring to finish up with the 56 incher we should measure and take pics of the red oak in back of it..that one looks much girthier than ours

Thank You Sponsors!