iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440D kicking smoke

Started by Offthebeatenpath, March 08, 2014, 08:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

I know this question will show my ignorance- I'm new to skidders and far from a mechanic,  but my 1985 440D just started kicking gray smoke.  It's worst when idling- there are faint pops like little bongo drums when it's at a low idle. 

I cleaned the air filters, threw in some fuel additive and new good fuel, checked the air to turbo line for oil- it's dry. Engine is newly rebuilt.

Injection pump out of time?  Can I work it another week or so and deal with this during mud season?

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Ed_K

I had a rented 540d on a job that started doing that and within 2 hrs the turbo let go.Cost 1k to get it fixed and I did the mech.
Ed K

stoneeaglefarm

For sure keep a eye on turbo, It will start leaking around the seals and then when she goes its ovious, Been getting alot of moisture in the fuel with all this weather, My 440c likes its fuel filters changed alot, I sure hope its simple and not turbo, If so, They are a pretty easy on and off fix, I got mine at PB&H equipment in Antrim NH. Good luck

Offthebeatenpath

Oof.  Not what I wanted to hear but not totally surprising.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

nk14zp

What part of Maine are you in?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Offthebeatenpath

Turner, just north of Auburn.

nk14zp

Dang.  If you were closer I'd look at it for you.  It might just be an injector.
Belsaw 802 edger.

Offthebeatenpath

Appreciate the offer.  Where are you at?

stoneeaglefarm

I talked to a mechanic today, Check your injectors as other fellow said, They for sure can be the problem, I always keep tank about half full with the 440c, When I first bought it 6 years ago I had lots of smoke and alot of problems with filters and I replaced 2 fuel pumps first winter I ran it, After that it all cleared up in this 440c, Been 5 plus years and still no smoke and if I keep changing filters about every 4 months it really seems to help. Hope its that simple.

snowstorm

grey or white smoke is incomplete combustion. could be an injector over fueling ( not misting the fuel ) that could wash the cylinder of oil not letting the rings seal. or broken rings. have you ever either locked it starting it??? an infrared temp gun works good for checking exhaust temp for each cylinder. to inspect the turbo pull the air intake hose off and push pull the turbine also up an down also look for cracks. if the turbine comes unraveled its gonna go into the engine 

Maine logger88

I agree start with the fuel filters. But it does kinda sound like a bad injector
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

rick f

Quote from: nk14zp on March 08, 2014, 11:56:12 AM
Dang.  If you were closer I'd look at it for you.  It might just be an injector.
[/quote

Dale how  about a 3-53 Detroit?  I've got one for you to look at.

and I'm right in town
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

justincase

Could pull the injectors and have them checked. I had mine done in bangor and ended up with 4 new ones.

wetdog

Sounds like you have a dead cylinder. It could me something as simple as an injector opening prematurely. Find out which cyl. is giving you the trouble. If you don't have a heat gun, as previously mentioned, just crack each line to find the miss. Do it at idle, one at a time. Each good cyl. will cause a big drop in rpm, the bad one will give little or no drop. This is a little messy but will give you a starting point.

coxy

isn't it better to put all new injectors in it   one new with 3 old  ???

BargeMonkey

Injectors for a 276-T are maybe 50-70 each. Whats going to take you time is when you pull the fuel piping, figure you might as well add new rubbers while your there. Check your oil, ive seen injectors run wide before they completely die. Had 10 gallons of fuel mixed in with 5 gallons of oil, wondered why it shook and didnt wanna run right ....?  8)

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for all the help guys.  Should be enough troubleshooting to keep me busy for a good chunk of my Sunday...

nk14zp

So as not to hijack check you PM box Rick.
Belsaw 802 edger.

loggah

If you crack the injectors ,make sure you dont get to close to the nut with bare skin,you dont want a fuel injection thru your skin. !!!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

stoneeaglefarm

How did ya make out with the 440d smoke problem

Offthebeatenpath

Got my last load of sawlogs and pulp out with it still running rough.  Going to play with firewood for a few days until my mechanic has some free time to check it out with me.  Thanks for asking.

Offthebeatenpath

Should have known the Forestry Forum collective knowledge is rarely wrong. Diagnosis- faulty injector with only a couple hundred hours on it.

Should be good to go by lunchtime on Monday after a quick trip to Diesel Fuel Systems in Bangor...

justincase

Glad it was only an injector. Beats a complete rebuild that I had to do. Diesel fuel systems seem to know their stuff. Pete helped me out when I was having motor issues.

nk14zp

Diesel fuel systems is a top notch company.
Belsaw 802 edger.

Woodboogah

Good to hear that it wasnt major. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Thank You Sponsors!