iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold weather Diesel Additives.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 13, 2015, 04:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've read a lot on this topic lately since I now have a 7.3 turbo power stroke.
What Diesel Additive do you guys put into your diesel tanks?

We've never added any additives to our tractors on the farm and have had no problems.

But for my pick up I've been using Sta-Bil.
Some of the products say it will increase milage, clean and lube injectors, keep condensation out.
OK....sounds good to me. But in your opinion, what do you call the best?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kipper

LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

redprospector

I use Lucas year round. ULSD isn't much count in my opinion.
If it's going to be below zero for a few days, I might add some Power Service.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

starmac

I run a little howes from time to time, not all the time by any means. It keeps fuel from gelling, but actually does exactly nothing for water in the fuel, it can freeze solid.
My road truck has the e model cat and returns enough hot fuel that it doesn't actually need anything to keep from gelling as long as you keep it running, even down to 60 below.
My log truck has the old b model, and doesn't have that luxury, but so far just #1 fuel has caused no problems, but it seldom gets run at temps below 30 below, most loggers around here use 5 below for their cutoff point for working.
The howes I use is basically for a little lubrication and cleaning purposes.
In the past if I expected or had gelling problems, a little plain old gasoline takes care of it better than most additives.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sawguy21

This is a timely thread for me. I have parked the Ram diesel for the winter, heater doesn't work and 2wd, and with our weather the Kubota is not seeing any use. I wonder if I should be adding a biocide. We are in a relatively dry area with low humidity.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Delawhere Jack

David......... You live in SOUTH CAROLINA!  :D

beenthere

sawguy
Relative humidity in Enderby, BC is currently 93%  ;)
When do you get low humidity?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pabst79

Howes is our go to, for our service trucks. Keeps them from gelling up in below zero weather. I think changing your fuel filter is probably more important though, we try and change them every 15k.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 13, 2015, 06:33:52 PM
David......... You live in SOUTH CAROLINA!  :D

I know, but Ive been reading this website : www.powerstrokehelp.com
They are in Georgia and work on NOTHING but power strokes.

They have a lot of good videos that are worth watching if you have a power stroke.

They also have a huge repair center there in Georgia. Just from what I've read and the reviews, they're pretty good.
They and others have recommended using an additive year round no matter what you low temps are.

snowstorm

there is a drain on the fuel filter housing on the motor. there is a little lever push that to drain the water. ford also has a lube additive. howies is good some use 2 stroke oil. if you have the plastic cover that opens and says power stroke on it the fuel filter is under that

POSTON WIDEHEAD

good info, I've changed everything on it. All filters. My next change will probably be the 2 motorcraft batteries in it. They are over 4 years old according to the date on them. Probably go with the Interstates or stick with Motorcraft batteries.

coxy

your better of imop with motorcraft  than with interstink batteries

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: coxy on December 13, 2015, 08:31:16 PM
your better of imop with motorcraft  than with interstink batteries

What did you just say?  say_what

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

Coxy, but but didn't you see the commercial??  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

isawlogs

I have the same engin as you, it gets real cold here, I don't put additives in my truck, in the winter there is winter fuel that won't gel at all deisel stations. All you really need is an anti gel that you can get from napa or any other auto parts store and use as prescribed by the maker. I had issues with mine recently, the glow plug light (wait to start) light would come on but the plugs where not heating the chamber... Had to have the relay swapped out for a new one, now it starts well again.
  I change the fuel filter air filter oil filter with every oil change..
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Gary_C

I have 4 diesels that I run year around here in the frozen north and never use any additives. I just replaced the injectors in my 2002 F-350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke at 250,000+ miles and that seems to the be the maximum miles you can get from those injectors regardless of if you use any fuel treatment or not.

I just talked to one of my fuel suppliers about filling my home tanks before the end of the year and he said they have a cold flow additive that will protect the fuel down to about zero Fahrenheit but below that you must start blending with number 1 fuel or it might gel. The fuel terminals also have a cold flow additive but some of those proprietary products must be added while the fuel is hot. Best to talk with your fuel supplier about additives. Most will sell a premium fuel but some are pricey.

The treatments for water in your fuel are generally not recommended for continuous use so be careful there. The diesel machines with steel tanks are a problem with condensation and water in the fuel and should have water separators in line which should be checked frequently but the best plan is to keep the tanks full, especially at night when the machine cools off.

Best plan is to buy good fuel, keep it clean, and use a full synthetic oil for better starting in the cold. I run 5W-40 full synthetic in all my diesels year around. I forgo the additives altogether.

I've had the glow plug relay problem too a couple years ago. The powerstroke diesel forums have good info on replacements. There is a cheap (under $20 ) generic replacement that has the terminals reversed but will still fit with some rerouting of the wires. The recommended replacement has the terminals the same as original but either one of these two don't last long because of the high currents. The one I went to is a larger one that is about $80 but will fit with some reworking of the mounts. I didn't do the rework so it is just laying there being held in place by the heavy wires. Works good and should last for as long as the truck.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Larry

I bought my 97 PSD new and its never had any additive of any kind in the fuel.  First half of its life was in north Missouri where it was a daily driver down to sometimes below zero.

I'm not against fuel additives as the farm tractors always got Power Service, just the truck never seemed to need anything.

I always change batteries at the first hint of a slow start.  Usually last four maybe five years if lucky.  You will find out first cold snap iffen ya need a battery...but you have that thingy...power box or something if I remember right. :D 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Larry on December 13, 2015, 10:15:04 PM
..but you have that thingy...power box or something if I remember right. :D

Good memory Larry.  :D

sawguy21

Quote from: beenthere on December 13, 2015, 06:37:23 PM
sawguy
Relative humidity in Enderby, BC is currently 93%  ;)
When do you get low humidity?
:D Yeah, it is raining tonight should be snow. Normally, and this fall is far from normal, the humidity is relatively low. We don't usually get a lot of condensation in our fuel but I am concerned about leaving it in the tank for a long period. I don't want algae clogging the system.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

terrifictimbersllc

Ive had my F350 psd for 15 yr now never any additives.  Up here I think they switch the diesel in the winter to something winterized.  Third set of Motorcraft batteries are now 2 yr old, I got the 850cca last time.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Corley5

I run Sea Foam in everything both diesel and gas.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dgdrls

Just purchased my first diesel this year,  JD 650 Compact tractor, (Yanmar Diesel)
With the Low Sulphur diesel and cold weather I decided to try
Opti-Lube products.  They recommend XPD product, they have others that are
application and/or weather specific.

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!