iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2018

Started by Magicman, July 21, 2018, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Didn't know that.  It's amazing what you can learn here on the FF that has nothing to do with forests.  I'll throw some in my mix next year.  ;D

Bad thing about Army Worms is that you are not safe until the first killing frost and for us that might not happen until December.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I went to the Cabin today and broadcast another 150 lbs of Ammonia on the two food plots.  There is still some late germinating happening plus the worms did not get everything.  I believe that the partially salvaged plots plus the Fescue will still be enough draw for the deer.  The plots are in a bottom bordering the creek and has always been an evening gathering place anyway.

Our rifle season opens on Nov, 17th and continues through January 31st.  The rifle bag limit is 3 bucks (10" inside spread or 13" main beam) and three does.  I have a self imposed limit and have not killed 3 bucks since the 1996-97 season.  I doubt that I have ever killed 3 does during any season year.  I just love to go and sit.

This has been my opening morning view for many years.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I like that minimum size requirement.  It sure would help around here, hardly anything makes it past 2.5 years old, 150 lbs live weigh is considered big, we could have some really nice deer in these parts with a little more management and a little less "if it's brown it's down" approach.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

Polk County, Texas.  We catch these on well fertilized pasture and game management areas that feed minerals year round.

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I got his brother last year.  :o   :D

mike_belben

Too bad about the food plot.  Whats the ammonia supposed to do?  

Im curious, would it not be better to turn the initial grass under with a light rototil for soil building?  Thats a lot of free nitrogen.  Or maybe roll crimp it and seed into it as a cover crop?  That bare dirt dries out real fast and growth rates get stunted for lack of moisture retention.  

I dont know if deer like it but my collards and buttercrunch lettuce took right off when the temps dropped, still growing fine.  Im told turnip and potato greens is the magic deer crop.   Next year. 
Praise The Lord

maple flats

I've shot plenty of both, but prefer a doe for the best eating. I'm not into looking for a big rack, but I will shoot one if I get a chance. 3 years ago, my grandson shot a 7 point buck from my shooting house in the blueberries. It weighed 235# hanging weight. That is unusual for around here. The heaviest buck I ever got was only 185# and I actually got 1 doe that was 175#, most are 120-150 and most busks here are 135-160. We have no minimum size for bucks, thus most shot are 1.5 or 2.5 years old. I however once got an old timer, well past prime at 9 or 10 yrs old, almost no teeth left and his 7 point rack was very small.
In my blueberries I allow many others to hunt there, but only by permission. I only want 1 in there at any time except a party of 2 can hunt, usually one on drive while one sits in the shooting house. The shooting house is between 2 blueberry fields, that way the driver can walk towards the shooting house with the wind at their back. Our normal wind is from the north or north west, or from the south east or south. Either direction works at this location. With just a shooter in the house, with the house essentially in the middle they can look out any window where the wind is blowing into it. I have even seen plenty of deer when the wind is going towards the deer in this location too. Likely because there are people in the fields so often, because workers are there every few days up until the snow gets too deep and then again as the snow starts to melt.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Magicman

Mike, everything was not totally destroyed.  The Army Worms missed some plus there is volunteer and late germinating seed still sprouting.  To till would kill and eliminate this growth thus putting any new growth weeks away.  I considered broadcasting Rye (which does not require covering) but I felt that the new growth that I saw would be sufficient.  Also as I previously mentioned, both plots are surrounded by Fescue.  I bushhogged it forcing new growth which will make it more attractive.

The Ammonia Nitrate (Urea) that I broadcast will give the volunteer and late germinating sprouts a jump start.  Even though I was sorta ripped about the Army Worm damage, I will be OK.

mike_belben

Sorry lynn i wasnt clear enough in my question, i was referring to the initial grass you had to spray.  Id have thought tilling it in a few inches would have helped richen the topsoil and save on spray cost.  It looks to be a big patch!  
Praise The Lord

Magicman

For several years I tried just subsoiling and discing but the root clumps refused to die.  This next year I plan to spray very early and kill such as Bahia and Johnson grass before it seeds.  If I can get ahead of the curve maybe I can eliminate all spraying.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

Magicman - Johnson grass spreads by seed and rhyzome, so by discing it you will actually help it to spread.  The only effective way to kill both Johnson grass and K31 Fescue is what they call "spray, smother, spray" where you apply an early burn down, followed by a heavy planting of a nurse crop - sugar cane would work well in your area, maybe even mix in some cow peas for nitrogen that is then terminated - rolling works better I find, and no tilling in your target crop.   
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I sat in the Strawhouse this evening and saw 11 deer before the wind got me.  Also 13 turkeys.

An 8 and a 6.

Same two bucks.  Neither were shooters but it was nice to see them.  Our season opens Saturday.

Magicman

Pat went with me this evening to the Strawhouse.  We saw 22 deer which included 6 branch antlered Bucks, nothing outstanding.  

I will be sitting on my normal opening day perch tomorrow morning.

Magicman

We saw 16 deer this evening, 4 of which were probably some of the same bucks that we have previously seen.  I had a real show this morning with a spotted fawn rubbing his head on a Black Locust sapling.  I had forgotten to carry the video camera with me.

Southside

That sure is a lot of deer to see, very nice indeed.  It was opening headache day here today too.  Usually there is no traffic out our way - since there really is no population, but today it was a constant stream of pickups racing by with a GPS in hand trying to get ahead of the dogs.  I laughed this evening walking back from moving cows as I passed through the log yard and could see that the mud I cut tracks in yesterday with the skidder was absolutely polluted with deer tracks.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Our deer sighting numbers are running normal.  I saw 5 yesterday morning which was also normal for a morning hunt.  I was in the woods and our leaves have not fallen yet so you may not get more than a glance as they move through.  We seem to have a massive crop of acorns.

Deer are coming to the food plots even though the Oats/Wheat is sparse but they are also spending more time in the Fescue as I predicted that they would do.

I have gotten a better look at the 6 & 8 pointers that I first saw Thursday evening.  They are much older than I thought so they may get taken out.

goose63

Wish I had a picture but don't the game wordens cought a pocher up by Killdeer N.D. with what thy will be a state record Mule deer record.

Yes I did not get mine.
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

We finally got a "Magic Buck" on the meat pole.

A Grandson got this 17" inside spread 8 point yesterday evening.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

The same Grandson has gotten two more......with his truck.  One last night and another tonight.  Instead of going to the butcher shop he will be going to the body shop. 

He is sick.  He just bought the 2017 Toyota Tacoma last week.

Southside

Well - the one in the photo is a nice buck.  What did he weigh?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Not weighed but our bucks normally run 150-175 lbs.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on November 22, 2018, 07:07:41 PM
The same Grandson has gotten two more......with his truck.  One last night and another tonight.  Instead of going to the butcher shop he will be going to the body shop.  

He is sick.  He just bought the 2017 Toyota Tacoma last week.
He's not wasting any time breaking that truck in is he?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I saw 3 this evening.  Doe, 6, & an 8.  It was raining and they came in late.  I'll hunt tomorrow and then plan to be back next week.  I hope to skid that big Red Oak out.

Thank You Sponsors!