iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small MIG welders

Started by Qweaver, December 12, 2014, 07:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I bought a Lincoln 180 and finally got to try it out today  welding 3/16" x 1" strips on the door of the 1/4"  pipe that I'm using to build a BBQ.  I've done hours of MIG with large 3 phase hot start machines but this was my first with a small machine.  This is a $1000 machine not one of the cheapees so I expected good results.  I could only buy CO2 and it worked fine.  I started with the .025 wire that came with the machine and I was a little disappointed  with the penetration.  It would be really easy to cold lap with this wire.  I switched to .030 and this was much better.  I used 75/25 mostly on the big machine but I think that CO2 may give better fusion on this machine.   I am satisfied with this machine for doing light work...but no xrays please.  I'm glad I didn't get a less capable machine...this one barely makes it.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

I have a Lincoln SP175-T. I've had it at least 10 years. Runs on 220,it's a small one. But does fine for repairing and building the things that I use. I built a metal box,and mounted that on a 2 wheeler. I had plans to make a couple draws,only made one.  ::)  I have about 50 feet of heavy gauge wire coiled up on the back. I just unwrap what I need to get to the project. Gas was not common around here years ago,so I went with no gas,flux core wire. Most of my welding is done outside,so it helps that way. I have used gas at my other job and I know it does a much cleaner job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

i use argon with 2% oxygen. works good. i have a 175 miller. havnt used it in a couple years. thats when i bought a 250 esab. i really like the esab

Qweaver

there is an argon shortage and  I can not buy it right now, but the co2 is working fine.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

shinnlinger

I have a 181 thermal arc that used to work real well but it stopped feeding and the shop said it needs a new motherboard and is obsolete.   I went back to my Lincoln tombstone.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SPIKER

I have a CENTURY 120volt that will do 90~120amp works well enough & have done a good amount of welding with it.   Sheet metal and have even welded up 1/4" with it in couple passes, the feed is not the best but I bought it in 92 & put a couple 10 lb spools & 2 lb spools thru it, 030 seems to work about the best.   

I have found that the .025 wire is great at cutting glued in windshields out really well!   

I also have a tombstone AC/DC for most everything else.

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

scsmith42

I have heard a lot of good things about the Miller 211 too. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pine

Quote from: Qweaver on December 12, 2014, 09:03:28 PM

there is an argon shortage and  I can not buy it right now, but the co2 is working fine.

That is news to me.  Must be regional thing.  No problems out here.  Helium  has gone way up in price if you need it to TIG with a DC only tig machine.  Argon is still cheap and plentiful at the LWS.

Thank You Sponsors!