iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying time for cookies

Started by BLJ, July 17, 2019, 05:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLJ

A friend of mine approached me recently about sawing some decorative cookies for his wedding.  It's in October. Would I be better off to saw them the week before to limit cracking or saw them now and take a chance.  I'm thinking the week before to limit the possibility of cracking but I'm looking for other opinions . Thanks

barbender

I've did a couple of those, I sawed them shortly before.
Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

what kind of wood.  rough sawn or sanded and finished?  what diameter, for each table or head table to sign?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Stephen1

I used to saw them 1-2 days before .Now with the IDRY kiln I saw thm by the hundreds and dry them in 4-5 days. I only loose about 10%  to cracking. Now they can be sanded and finnished. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

YellowHammer

I saw mine the week before and prefer to use relatively low crack prone wood.  
Eastern red cedar, soft maple, pine, and box elder work great. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

BLJ

Wood options would be red oak, EWP, hard maple, yellow poplar, wild black cherry, hickory, and possibly black walnut.  I have no access to a kiln. They will probably be sanded some to knock the edges down. No signatures that I know of. 

doc henderson

oak tends to split long term, walnut is better.  larger diameters also have more stress due to the shrinkage.  12 inch walnut is good, soaking in alcohol decreases splits. but short term will be ok if you want to throw them out after.  I soak mine, dry in a box, sand on a drum sander, and finish with Danish oil.  I have about 50 stored.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

some are using them for the head table for people to sign like a guest book.  some are putting a cookie on each table with decorations like a mason jar with flowers and or led lights.

BLJ

Speaking briefly with the groom, I gt the impression that this will be a one time deal and thrown out afterward. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

For our 50th anniversary, our daughter ordered disks from Walnut Hollow in Dodgeville, wi and they worked perfectly.  This might be a painless way to handle this.

I did visit them and they were drying disks with over 97% success rate.  They had a hot air kiln.  Do not know how they did it so well.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

375° for 16 minutes, butter the sheet, leaves a gooey center with melted chips and a crispy outside. You don't want them dry, much better this way.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@GeneWengert-WoodDoc I cannot believe you did not get the skinny on the entire schedule.   :).  good to know it can be done.  how big were the discs. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The slightly oval disks we had were about 12" x 18".  They were dry and sanded smooth with bark on. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I looked them up and noticed that they cut them thin. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!