iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer alternator belt tension question

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 23, 2009, 02:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

What is the best way to set the correct belt tension?

I'm always unsure when the belt is too loose or too tight. What or how to you do it to make sure it is done correctly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

(1994 LT30HDG24) with 61 amp Delco alternator.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Jim;  The book for my 1995 model says pivot the alternator away from the motor until the belt has 7/16" deflection with a 5 pound deflection force, then tighten the adjustment bolt.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Thanks Chuck.
I'll have to try that with my new fancy belt tension gauge..... that I just got from WM....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brucer

I always use a belt tension guage -- got one in '82 when I bought my first tractor.

I use a water-proof pen to mark a reference line on the housing behind the belt. Makes it easy to check the deflection without fiddling around with a straight edge.

It's a good idea to check all the belts when you first get your mill, whether it's new or used. My last mill shredded an alternator belt after 20 hours -- turns out they installed a cover wrong and the alternator wouldn't slack off enough. I guess whoever was assembling the mill just reefed away on the alternator until it clear the cover.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!