iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 361?

Started by CharleyK, October 23, 2004, 07:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharleyK

I've been lurking for some time so first off thanks all for some good information and opinions.  I spent some time cutting pulp wood in northern Michigan for a while but my cutting now consists of about 12 cords per year for firewood and occasional weekends cutting with neighbors.  My personal saw is a 023 (don't laugh, big saw guys) which admittedly is asked to do a lot more than intended.  I also occassionally borrow a 028 and a 260 Pro.  Now I want a bigger saw but do not want a powerhead much over 12 pounds.  I'm not a big guy and I learned the virtues of a smaller but sharp saw in the UP.

My search is currently narrowed to the Stihl 361 and the Husky 359 or 357XP.  I have a little bias towards Stihl because these have been good saws for me and I have no personal experience with Husky.  On the shelf, I think the Stihl looks a little better made but I know enough people experienced with both that swear by Husky.    

Another factor here is the 361 seems to be at least $100 more than the Husky's, which I don't understand.  Local Stihl dealers won't budge from $599 with a 20 inch bar.  Stihl USA sure seems to have a heavy hand in the distribution channel.  Can I get some experienced opinions?

Thanks

SasquatchMan

There is currently an ongoing professional comparison at arboristsite.com, I think in the contributors section....  you'll get a bunch of guys chiming in for both saws around here.  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

jokers

Hi Charley,

So what is your question? Can you buy a 361 cheaper? Yes if you have a tolerance for not buying locally. Are the 357/359 on par with the 361? Yup, although the 357 has a powerband most like the 361 in my opinion.

Each of the 3 saws that you mentioned are excellent and it really comes down to personal preferences. I have all three of these models with alot of time on the 357, less so on the 361, but I feel like the 361 is the best new saw that Stihl has in their lineup at this time. I hope that it`s a sign of good things to come from Stihl.

Russ

Timber_Framer

Hey Charley
I've got a 361 w/20" bar and swear by it. It's fast and light so I can cut with it all day.
$600.00 is over $100.00 more than I paid for mine.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Erick

Charley,
        All of my local dealers sell the 361 with a 20" bar for 539.00 seems like your locals are pretty proud of that saw. As for the huskys I cant say I've always been a stihl man but I know plenty of husky owners who wouldent own a stihl if you gave it to them. Stihl and Husky are widely recognized as the two best saws on the market (you never here an argument on Polan vs Mc Cullah) I think it all comes down to your pesonal preferance (and checkbook).
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

dneiger

Charley,

If you send me an E-Mail I can send you the results of the comparison tests between the 361 S. & the 357 H. I am going to sell both of these saws, both have been ported and run very strong, They are woods ported and are not race saws. Either will go for an excellent price. I would post the results but it would take too long as I haven't had time to edit them yet and make it legible.
                                   Dave Neiger 1-231-797-5261
 P.S.  I am the one that did the comparing.

dneiger

Charley,
    Sorry I guess I should have given you my E-mail dneiger@yahoo.com.

Thank You Sponsors!