iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Scrap?

Started by Tree Feller, October 07, 2012, 09:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I do and I used some of it this evening to fashion a couple of long-handled wooden spoons.

They are from QS Post Oak and are about 14" long. The QS blanks were ripped from the outside areas of a 4/4 flat-sawn board that had the pith in it.

You can't tell from the pic but the business ends are scooped out. I used a 7/14 gouge for that and turned the 3/8" diameter handles at the lathe.

They are not anything special but they were quick and fun.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Woodchuck53

I like them and thanks for posting. I have wondered about the grandson on the wood lathe and that looks like the perfect little project for him. He has made cypress boat padles on the band saw but this will round out more of his edumacation. (I know round out)
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

WDH

That one looks like it has a backbone  :D.  I saw them and immediately thought, "Lets cook something".  ;D 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was always under the impression that the best spoons were made from "fruit woods".

Am I right or wrong?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I know that I like them.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree Feller

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on October 07, 2012, 09:14:26 PM
I like them and thanks for posting. I have wondered about the grandson on the wood lathe and that looks like the perfect little project for him. He has made cypress boat padles on the band saw but this will round out more of his edumacation. (I know round out)

Thanks Woodchuck and yes, it would be a good project for learning how to turn. After I bandsaw out the blank, i put the big end in my scroll chuck and bring the tailstock up against the little end. Then I tighten down the chuck until it's just snug. That long handle will flex a little so a sharp gouge and small cuts are in order.

Quote from: WDH on October 07, 2012, 09:26:34 PM
That one looks like it has a backbone  :D.  I saw them and immediately thought, "Lets cook something".  ;D 

Probably thought about spooning grits onto a plate.   :D

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 07, 2012, 09:37:37 PM
I was always under the impression that the best spoons were made from "fruit woods".

Am I right or wrong?

I have no idea, David. I just used what I had laying around.

Quote from: Magicman on October 07, 2012, 10:48:05 PM
I know that I like them.   smiley_thumbsup

Thanks, MM.

Cody
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Phorester

A woodworking friend of mine teaches a wood turning class at a local woodworking supply store.  Last year he told me that he made the statement that you could turn something out of just about any piece of wood.  One of the students dug up a half-buried foot long piece of 1" thick ash slab covered in mud out of the parking lot and jokingly challenged him to make something out of it.

He turned this beautiful shallow bowl out of it. Said the student turned it over and over in his hands and said "*DanG you're good!"  Gave it to me as a present.

bottom

side view.

Lud

ghost bowl?!      I love it .    Will have to try to duplicate soon.... 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Thank You Sponsors!