iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving scrap wood.

Started by Kbeitz, December 12, 2015, 12:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

I sell all my scrap wood for fire wood. Everything goes. Bark and all.
This way I don't have to full with it. When the box is full I move it up along the road
and sell it for $30.00 a box. It does not last long and it's gone.
I ran into a bit of a problem picking the box up with my forks on the tractor.
The back wheels just did not want to stay on the ground.
So I had to come up with a safer way of moving the boxes around.
This is what I came up with. I back into the box with the 3 point down.
Then I hook up the winch hook and lift the back of the box.
The 3 point then lifts everything up and away I go. Works great.
Total cost $27.00 in parts. I used all junkyard scrap metal and hubs.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

Looks good .
Great way to move the wood .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ljohnsaw

Nice, I like the way you make all the scrap match up and balance aesthetically!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Tree Dan

Why would you not run the cable and your blocks to lift the front instead of the back? :P
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Kbeitz

Quote from: Tree Dan on December 12, 2015, 06:41:19 PM
Why would you not run the cable and your blocks to lift the front instead of the back? :P
Then what would lift the back ?
The 3 point lifts the front with the small forklift like blades.
This way both ends gets lifted off the ground.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tnsnakebite

Great job.

I always look forward to your next project post.

Questions. I would like to try some welding. Its been years and never was good at it. Can I  get good welds with a setup running on 110 ? Limitations?  Advise on buying one?  Thanks.
2006 TimberKing 1220 20 H.P. Kohler. Trailer kit and 2 extensions. Purchase date 10-2015. Price-$3,300
J.D. 1070 w/loader

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

Quote from: tnsnakebite on December 12, 2015, 08:50:59 PM
Great job.

I always look forward to your next project post.

Questions. I would like to try some welding. Its been years and never was good at it. Can I  get good welds with a setup running on 110 ? Limitations?  Advise on buying one?  Thanks.

110 volt welders to me are not worth the time of day unless you buy one that cost around $1200.00
Even then the 110 volt one can pull 40 amps for the good ones. I would say don't waste your money.
If you don't want to waste your time to learn welding then go with a mig welder.
It's like using a glue gun. But the metal got to be real clean. If your using rusty junkyard metals then
I would say find your self a cheap 220 volt arc welder like the Lincoln tombstone welders.
And then make sure you get some really good rods. Cheap rods or welder will turn you off from trying
to learn to weld. If you have good rods and a good welder it's not hard to weld. Bad rod is a real nightmare
to try to use.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tnsnakebite

Makes a whole lot of sense what you just said.
Thanks for the details.

2006 TimberKing 1220 20 H.P. Kohler. Trailer kit and 2 extensions. Purchase date 10-2015. Price-$3,300
J.D. 1070 w/loader

kensfarm

I like that the box.. is also the for sale sign. 

Kbeitz

I will be making more boxes.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

If I didn't live off the main road, I would have to set up something like that. It's a shame I burn most of my cutoffs.

Arkyrick

Great Idea what is the size of that box? and I notice you cut them into about 16" pieces?
LT 35 hydraulic portable "73"Ford 335 tractor - lots of chains

Kbeitz

Quote from: Arkyrick on December 13, 2015, 09:10:29 AM
Great Idea what is the size of that box? and I notice you cut them into about 16" pieces?

4' x 4' x 4' cubed;
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 13, 2015, 01:03:32 PM
Quote from: Arkyrick on December 13, 2015, 09:10:29 AM

4' x 4' x 4' cubed;

So you actually made the boxes from scratch (scrap).  I thought they looked a little bigger than pallets (48x42 here).  Yes, a half-cord of firewood for $30, a bargain ANYWHERE!  Even for pine, that would $75-100 out here.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

You are not letting them take the pallet assembly are you?  It takes some time to make those.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Brad
How would they take it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Nope they don't get the box and they need to load it from the box to there truck all by them selfs.
$30.00 does not seem like much but it keep my area clean and i get rid of all the junky wood.
I'm happy. $30.00 buys some blades.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

Nice job, and you picked a good color paint. Have you made a machine to cut the slabs to lenght yet?  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on December 13, 2015, 06:35:58 PM
Nice job, and you picked a good color paint. Have you made a machine to cut the slabs to lenght yet?  :)

Thats on my list.
For now I have a 12" chop saw at the end of 12 foot long rollers.
I'm looking for a dsah pot to use for my swing blade I want to build.
Anyone know what I could use for one. I think it would make useing a swing
blade so much safer.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

NWP

Quote from: beenthere on December 13, 2015, 05:07:47 PM
Brad
How would they take it?

Unload the wood inside it then pick it up
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Brad_bb

Right!

My mom had a lot of extra tomatoes one year from her garden.  She put them out at the end of her drive on a little table with a sign - free tomatoes.  They took the tomatoes, then they took the table.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Then the table wasn't heavy enough...  ;D  Not like these wood bins..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!