iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrap Wood

Started by woodshax, February 17, 2017, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodshax

Lately I have been getting the hardwood leftovers from a specialty sawmill/cabinet shop nearby and cutting it up to sell as firewood.  Any of you guys sell your scraps or know anyone in the DFW...North Texas area with piles for sale?

Robert Owens

I do not sale my scraps. I have a friend who will cut and split all the pine and give it to local elderly people who need firewood. The oak, walnut and cherry scraps I cut and split and keep for firewood for both my family and my Mom's wood stove. I also give away a lot of pine trimmings to friends that I hunt and trap with to use as kindling.

GAB

Not far from me is a retired gentleman who makes toys for kids and refuses to take any money.
I've supplied him with some cherry, elm, ash, hickory, poplar, maple, apple, and black birch to mention a few.
Gives him something to do, and helps me clean up.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WDH

I use my cherry, red oak, white oak, pecan, etc. scraps to smoke/cook meat on the grill.  I also give them free to customers for same or other small projects.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hersnsh#590

I've offered my softwood slabs (for free) to numerous small  local sugar makers to use in their arches. 2WD accessible. 1 taker.   

Dale 
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 19, 2017, 08:13:52 PM
I use my cherry, red oak, white oak, pecan, etc. scraps to smoke/cook meat on the grill.  I also give them free to customers for same or other small projects.

Y'all need to try WDH's White Oak Burgers. Dem burgers will make you slap Raider Bill.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

5quarter

Dem burgers must make you real stooopid... ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

5quarter

Quote from: GAB on February 19, 2017, 04:38:35 PM
Not far from me is a retired gentleman who makes toys for kids and refuses to take any money...

This gentleman wouldn't be a short fella, say, 30" tall, with a long, white beard, red cap and spectacles, would he?

;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

fishfighter

I can't give away scraps unless it is late summer and people are looking for firewood. :( I do save enough for myself and family for firewood. Problem is, I didn't even burn a 1/2 cord this winter. Only had maybe 7 days of cold weather so far. :(

Magicman

So far this has been the Winter that didn't happen here.  I generally fill my rack at least 3 times and this year I am still on the first rack.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

I give mine away to the sugar shacks. I'd love to find a old guy who makes toys though!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Kbeitz

I'm down to my last box and winter isn't over.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Kbeitz,

Those are good looking pallets. What size are they? Look to be about 4'X4'X4' which would be half a cord.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Solomon

Anything like white oak, hickory, Suger Maple, Pecan, Apple, ect...  I give to the guy at Sure-Set Saw here in Chesapeake, Va.
Sure-Set is THE  local sharpening service in my area.
They do really good work and are really great folks, all of their customers look out for them in one way or another.
We are very fortunate to have a small buisness like them in the area.
Good wholesome old fasion values and courtsey.
Like the old General Store without the Flour, Corn Meal and the old Coca Cola cooler with the water in it an the clean white cotton cloth to wipe the bottles off with.
  The world needs to get back to that,  and penny candy too.
Rember Hersey Kisses when they were two for a penny ?
I miss those days....... :embarassed: :-\ :-[ :( :o
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 20, 2017, 08:05:02 PM
Kbeitz,

Those are good looking pallets. What size are they? Look to be about 4'X4'X4' which would be half a cord.

You got a good eye... You hit it right on.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GAB

Quote from: 5quarter on February 19, 2017, 11:09:08 PM
Quote from: GAB on February 19, 2017, 04:38:35 PM
Not far from me is a retired gentleman who makes toys for kids and refuses to take any money...

This gentleman wouldn't be a short fella, say, 30" tall, with a long, white beard, red cap and spectacles, would he?

;D

Nope but he does replenish this individuals local reps.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Peter Drouin

All mine go in the wood stove or chipper.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

petefrom bearswamp

I have 2 sizable mountains of Hemlock slabs and edgings.
I give away all i can but only have 1 really good source for the giveaway at present.
My helper who moved to Texas on me used to take all but the edgings.
Kbeitz I too like your pallets.
I plan to run my boiler all year now for my domestic hot water and plan to copy tour design and burn as many of my slabs as i can.
Used to just have a huge bonfire by NY in its wisdom banned most open burning.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

On the bottom of the pallet in the back is one steel rail.
This keeps it from tipping forward when picking it up with short forks.
The plate is 1/2" thick x 3" wide x 4 feet long. It helps a lot. Two long
bolts keeps it all together.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!