iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broad axe hatchet

Started by Brian_Weekley, February 25, 2012, 10:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I just picked up a nice old broad axe hatchet head (5 inch).  Don't know why, it was just too cute to pass up.  Too small to hew logs with.  I'm just curious what uses you folks have found for a small single bevel broad hatchet?  Are broad hatchets typically fitted with an offset handle like broad axes?
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure about the offset, mine is pretty straight. They are great for pointing pegs, if you aren't using a draw knife and shaving horse. I use one for putting a really quick chisel point on tomato stakes. I think they would have been used a lot more when working hewn timbers. When scribing hewn timbers, sometimes you want to make a small correction before you start marking the timbers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

I recently acquired a 5" broad hatchet head for a customer. And I also got him a handle. It was a straight handle, as most hatchet handles are.

He wanted a curved handle, and we don't have a source for that. So, this handle is available if you need it.

As mentioned, the uses of this type of small broad hatchet is many, and you'll find uses for it when you start using it.

It is something nice to have in the toolbox.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!