iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Equipment

Started by John Vander, June 10, 2013, 08:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I would like to know what equipment some of you gentlemen carry with you into the woods, especially if your truck is far away.
This is my back-rack with hand winch, cables and ropes etc.

Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

beenthere

First aid kit, minimal for stopping blood flow. And some places, a fire blanket would be a good idea.
If no working phone service, then a distress plan (whistle, mirror, etc) might be worthwhile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Vander

My first-aid kit is in a separate pouch that I carry around my waist. The fire blanket is a good idea, thanx!

Kemper

Gas, bar oil, saw & saw wrench. Cell phone.

thenorthman

water gas oil, wedges, spare chain, saw wrench, file, axe, tin hat,  should get a first aid kit but I'm not usually a super long way from the truck. water is important though, whistle and cell phone. never did the overnight hike in thing... at least not for logging.  If I plan on hiking a mile or so I might bring in some TP and lunch in a back pack, maybe a sweat shirt and spare socks...
well that didn't work

Piston

Quote from: beenthere on June 10, 2013, 08:41:09 PM
First aid kit, minimal for stopping blood flow.

This is a good point. I'd like to put a basic kit together for this. What do you have in yours?  I do have an "Adventure Medical" kit that I take with me sometimes but it's geared more towards medical care out in the back country versus major wounds from chainsaw blades. I do always keep my chaps on now though-never did until a couple years of reading this forum.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Woodboogah

Water, gas/oil, wedges, axe, scrench, files, lighter, cell phone if applicable, tape.  On me at all times is two quick clots and 4 rolls of gauze to stop any severe blood flow (hope i never have to use it).  In the truck is to much to list.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

John Vander

I believe a good med. kit is a plus. Not just from chainsaw wounds, but medicine that can sooth bee stings or other stuff. I also have a can of hornet killer spray on my full kit outfit. My snake catcher sometime goes along too depending on the season. Japan in the south is sub-tropical with a lot of humidity and rain.

redprospector

Rather than carrying several rolls of gauze in case of a chainsaw cut, I carry a couple of feminine napkins and medical tape. I've seen them used a couple of times over the years, and they work better than anything I've ever seen for a saw cut.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thenorthman

Its a fact... feminine napkins where originally intended to staunch blood from battle wounds during WWI,

Triangle bandage, gauze or fem supply, electrical tape/duct tape, few band aids for minor cuts,

Always have a pocket knife, always... and a keep it sharp...

Never liked the chaps, I'm clumsy as it is and they just slow me down more, and heat me up too much.  Don't even like the double front pants, and ratty old t shirt in winter is usually enough when I start moving.
well that didn't work

John Vander

Napkins...now there's something I would never have guessed. Imagine the look on the boy's faces when they see me sporting a couple of those things in my sawyer's bag.

clww

Used them in combat more than once. They work. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John Vander

Won't argue with a soldier. Advice taken. Thanks mate.

Thank You Sponsors!