iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mold

Started by stumpy, April 29, 2006, 05:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

I have a customer that I sawed some Oak and Hickory for. The original plan was that I would saw them and scrape the boards and dead stack them. He would then pick them up in a week and sticker them. Well that was December and some things came up and he was'nt able to pick them up till today. They are still straight, but there is a small amount of mold on them.  He mis stickering them today and we wondered what, if anything, to do with th mold.
Any thoughts???
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

getoverit

a cup of bleach in a gallon of water sprayed over the boards should take care of the mold problem.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

beenthere

I think I would rinse each board with a mild solution of bleach and water. Either flush it on or dip each board.

Like GOI said - faster :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Sticker 'em, let them dry, and run them through a planer.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Den Socling

I hope the hickory doesn't end up looking like this.

I've had moldy oak that cleaned up with no problem but hickory has been different for me. I bought this from a mill last summer that was stacking with stickers. I didn't even see much mold but ended up with this ugly stain in a lot of the wood.

dundee

Den---try giving this mould stain a "whack" of spirit of salts, 60% spirit 40% water, this was given to me by a older fella and it worked for me OK

Den Socling

Thanks dundee. I'll try that. But I had to do a google search to find out what the dickens was spirit of salts.   :P Hydrochloric acid.  And diluted with water it's called muriatic acid over and up here.  :D

dundee

It's "evil" stuff Den, ---wear a mask and gloves

beenthere

I think I would try oxalic acid to try to bleach out the stain. Or just bleach.  IF they don't work, maybe dundee's spirits of salts. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Minnesota_boy

I'd market it as specialty wood, charge double and forget any treatment.  ;D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dundee

Minnesota _boy---There ya go--us Kiwis would never think of such a marketing ploy, bore a few holes in the stuff as well?, I think you guy's up there call it stressed lumber?

(getting stressed even thinking about it)  ;D

Minnesota_boy

Yes, I guess it would stress my wallet too it I were ever to do such a thing.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tony

Would I treat pine the same way ??? ???

Left some out in the rain a couple weeks smiley_whacko   
                        unstickered

Tony ::) ::)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

dundee

Why not Tony?, but again, it all depends as to how deep the mould has penetrated I would imagine, however, if you give it a whack of salts it would definatley knock it for a six

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!