iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ERC Siding

Started by Tree Feller, November 17, 2012, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

For exterior ERC board & batten siding, what is the preferred finish? (not paint)

I don't want the gray, weathered look.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

HousewrightVA

Rymar Extreme Weather Wood Coating
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

shelbycharger400

oil base stain with very light pigment with uv inhib.

mikeb1079

housewright can you share your experience with that stuff?  i'm using some walnut and oak for exterior trim and i'd like to stave off the elements for as long as possible.  right now i'm using zar polyurethane.  so far i like it but i have little experience in this area.  also how much is that per gallon?

edit:  i see that its around 75 a gallon.  that's not too bad if it works well.....
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Tree Feller

Housewright, I'd like to hear more about the Rymar coating, too.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

1woodguy

I can't offer a good suggestion on what to use
And don't care for the paint or weathered look either
    would like to know a little more about how well the rymar holds up.
Or what ever else anyone has had luck using outside  :)
Thanks
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

tcsmpsi

Enough roof overhang to keep the weather off of it.    ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

HousewrightVA

We have used just about every product you can name and this is the best CLEAR EXTERIOR finish I have found. After watching Sikkens completely disappear from an Ipe deck within one year,I talked with several other contractors and a couple of paint reps to find the Rymar product. Rymar is sold by Sherwin Williams and Duron so its easy to get.
Sunlight is the death of exterior finishes consider its exposure for all materials from wood to coatings.Clear finishes by nature don'thave as much uv resistance and need to be reapplied more often.
Varnish will work ok, make sure its Spar Varnish. For some things like that nice Oak door this is the best choice to really show off the wood.For open grained woods like oak use a pore filler first to give a tight surface for your finish. Plan to recoat more often than painted surfaces.
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

florida

There is no finish that will keep your cedar from turning gray except paint or heavy solid stain. With enough roof overhang you can keep the north side looking original for a long time but of course you have to deal with more mildew and algae there too. On the south and west it'll get gray at the bottom where the sun hits it.
If you just have to have it look like new your best option is no finish at all but an annual bleach and clean. I've used oxalic acid and a hose to do it or a very light touch with a pressure cleaner.  it's a lot of work and most people give up on it after a few years.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!