iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best choice for forest maintenance heavy equipment....

Started by chain, January 21, 2013, 07:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Requirements:

1.High-lifting...logs, stumps, rocks
2. grading...roads, log landings.
3. clearing..brush and pushing out small saplings
4. digging...excavating gravel, dirt, small stumps etc.

Hilly terrain, dirt to gravel to large rock surface.

What one 'all-around' heavy equipment would you choose?

chevytaHOE5674

Have you looked at a tracked crawler/loader. Basically a dozer with a front end loader and a 4 way bucket...

thecfarm

I sure don't know. I think I use to see those crawlers come with a back hoe too. I helped lay water pipe in a housing development about 30 years ago and they was using one,I don't know about the four way part,but could be used as a loader or a blade. I have not seen one of them for years,not even just parked outback behind the barn either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Mid-sized excavator, 15-20 ton range, if you cant level or grade with just the bucket you can get one with the blade attachment.  311-312 cat, 160 Volvo. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thenorthman

yep excavator with a blade, not much you can't do with one.  Plus they have gobs of attachment you can put on, log grapples, buckets, thumbs, demo shears, chain flails(for eatin brush) processing heads, and a few I've never heard of...
well that didn't work

deastman

Quote from: loggah on January 21, 2013, 08:25:48 AM
Mid-sized excavator, 15-20 ton range, if you cant level or grade with just the bucket you can get one with the blade attachment.  311-312 cat, 160 Volvo. Don
Try to get one with a hydraulic thumb, its well worth it when you have to move rocks, stumps, logs etc.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

sjfarkas

Take a look at the kobelco blade runner.   It's a 6way dozer blade and heavy track motors on an excavator.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

CTL logger

There is a used kobelco blade runner near me for sale it's pretty neat. Don't know if it has a thumb.

chain

I viewed a video on the blade-runner. Now that would be the thing in building & clearing roads, trails, developing terraces, water bars..you name it.

The track loader-excavator would be a great choice also.

Hard to justify buying maybe leasing, I'm non-commercial.

With all the 'trail-building'[riding and walking trails] going on these days I could see where a enterprising company could justify the costs, keeping the machine busy.

Thank You Sponsors!