iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell 3 wheel cutters

Started by BargeMonkey, January 19, 2014, 03:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Equipment dealer I buy from in Mass called and wanted to know if I wanted a 3 wheel bell for short money, guess hes looking to take it on trade. Ive only seen 1 working around here and it looked kinda useful. Anyone have one or run one ? Im talking about the dangle head wheel models, with a deutz engine.

treeslayer2003

I have an early one, what ya want to know? they are very economical in the right timber. they are different to drive lol. for me it works out well when I have a clear cut and I have used it on selections depending on the stand. its a lot cheaper to operate than a hot saw but it is slower.

BargeMonkey

It looks neat, one of those "want" more than "need" kinda toys. Saw one working in Delaware County once, I saw why it had a 5 point aftermarket seat belt in the cab.  :D

Just wondering if its worth buying, is there still parts available ? Whitemans had 2 tracked models for a while and they abruptly sold them, so we have always wondered. One more machine with an odd configuration doesnt bother me, all 4 of our dozers are set up different,   and im finally converting the forwarder to joystick from 5 levers.

loggah

They dont work to bad on flat ground !! or if your not cutting good sized trees with the wind blowing!! ;D ;D the early ones had escape hatches on 3 sides and there was a reason. On one job i was dozing a field on they were clear cutting with a bell,the field area was rocky ,and the trees were tall and the wind was blowing fairly hard. In one day the thing went on its side 3 times !!!!!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

BargeMonkey

Quote from: loggah on January 19, 2014, 04:45:24 PM
They dont work to bad on flat ground !! or if your not cutting good sized trees with the wind blowing!! ;D ;D the early ones had escape hatches on 3 sides and there was a reason. On one job i was dozing a field on they were clear cutting with a bell,the field area was rocky ,and the trees were tall and the wind was blowing fairly hard. In one day the thing went on its side 3 times !!!!!

Thats what I thought..  :D.  The operator told me its better than any roller coaster ride there is. I get some firewood lots sometimes where it would be very handy, and its so portable. Moving my Timbco can be a nightmare, between other idiots on the road and having air-ride suspension on the lowboy. I follow the tractor sometimes and cringe...

loggah

The timbcos are a pretty good sized machine and tall!! thats why i liked my John Deere 653E it was small enough to move easily,and worked well on small jobs.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

treechopper40

barge monkey where are you located in ny ?
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

BargeMonkey

Schoharie County... where the men are men.. and the sheep run scared.  :D

Not quite up north, but not quite southern NY.

treeslayer2003

never even come close to turning mine over, but it is pretty flat here. I have cut 500bft sticks with it but ya need some seat time to try that. firewood it will fly thru and ya can top with it if your careful. that duetz is a fuel sipper.
you can get what ever ya want for um from zambesi equipment. I think they in SC. not sure with out lookin um up.

shortlogger

There were lots of them here in my part of Arkansas when crews started going mechanical  . A good operator could move a lot of wood and only turn over on rare occasions . I trimmed lots of loads of pine behind one
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!