iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bell super T tracked buncher

Started by TheDirt, November 22, 2016, 07:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDirt

Found a '93 bell super T cutter, it's got steel tracks and a dangle head bar saw, I don't know anything about these, but they seem pretty quick, anyone on here have expirience with the tracked setup? Better or worse then rubber tires? I tend to be on steep or at least hilly ground, cutting hard and softwood, usually in snow.
thanks!

TheDirt

I guess this isn't such a common machine,
Here's a video of one working in a swamp
https://youtu.be/6xYQ01ees_c

lopet

Don't know anything about them, just looks like a pretty rough ride over those stumps with the tracked unit .  Maybe Too rough for me. :D
They sure pull more in  swamp conditions.

I think the tired ones run on a 4 cylinder deutz. What engine does that one have in it ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

TheDirt

BargeMonkey

Whitemans sawmill in NY had 2 of them for a while, not quite sure why they got rid of them. I've seen the videos and they are handy, I would check on parts availability. Like any track machine I would look the undercarriage and hard bar over real close, nothing worse than a machine with sore feet in the woods. .404 head or 3/4 ? 3/4 for a buncher is the way to go, doesn't take much to tweak a .404 bar.

rkultra

I have been running wheeled Bells for years and have often thought about picking up a tracked one to work the steeper ground more easily and for deep snow, like you want to use it for. The older models had a d3 undercarriage, I believe. They are hard to find so if it's reasonably priced and in good shape you probably could move it again easily if it doesn't work out for you. They came with 16" pads or 24", like the one in the video. The 16" pads might be better for your application, it would still have decent flotation but would cut through the snow better and you could avoid a few more stumps.
1993 Bell Super T,1989 John-Deere 548-D, Hahn 110B Short Wood Harvester,
Dolmar 7900, 7300,6100,5105

Thank You Sponsors!