iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

advice for milling small diameter logs

Started by yukon cornelius, January 28, 2014, 12:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

we have a giant stack of small erc logs that I want to split in half (3"-5"). I have split some with a chainsaw with mixed results but I want to use the mill for speed and a better cut. they will be used for table, countertop edging, and interior wall covering and trim. I have not been able to figure out how to clamp them down without the clamps being in the way of the blade. any suggestions?
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Ianab

What mill do you have? There will be some way of doing it, but without seeing your clamp setup it's hard to say.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

yukon cornelius

oh, I probably should have mentioned that. I have an ez boardwalk jr.. I might also add, I did try a meat saw type band saw and table saw with no luck

Ianab

Is the issue that standard clamps wont adjust low or close enough to hold the small log?

I just watched a video of the mill, but it was sawing a decent size log (~12"), and the clamps seemed effective.

Otherwise you could rig up a clamp system like this which is used to hold small logs under a swingmill. The wooden bearer could be held in your current clamp, and the spikes that hold the log are only ~1" above the bottom of the log.
http://petersonsawmills.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/manuals_ez_dog_guide.pdf
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I'd say that you may need to build a jig to hold the "logs" and you may even have to have a sacrificial backstop.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

I have used a jig with V notches cut in them that sit on the rails.  One end should be shimmed to make the center of the log parallel to blade travel.  One person hold the log down while the blade enters the log.  After a few feet then the sawyer can put downward pressure while the other person retreats.  Sharp blade and not too fast will allow a perfect cut.  Have sawed hundtreds this way
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

yukon cornelius

yes and no, the clamps allow it to cut down to 1 inch from the bed. I have not had good luck clamping a round below the center of the round.  it seems to force the log up and pop out of the clamp. does that make sense?

yukon cornelius

the jig with a notch is a great idea! I had considered drilling through them and driving a few wood pegs into a board below. then the saw would just cut through them as it cut. im often cutting alone so a second person wouldn't be necessary. how far apart would you recommend for the notches. most of the wood would be running 8- feet or less.

Ianab

I can see how that would happen as the clamps aren't really digging in to the log as they will need to to hold on the lower area of the small logs.

The design I linked to is a sharpened spike that you knock into the log slightly so it actually grips it, and can hold it at 1" off the deck

The sawmill is the right machine for the job, just need to work out a different form of clamping.

Ian

yukon cornelius

Quote from: Ianab on January 28, 2014, 02:24:12 PM
I can see how that would happen as the clamps aren't really digging in to the log as they will need to to hold on the lower area of the small logs.

The design I linked to is a sharpened spike that you knock into the log slightly so it actually grips it, and can hold it at 1" off the deck

The sawmill is the right machine for the job, just need to work out a different form of clamping.

the spike is another great idea as I haven't been totally happy with the clamp on some of the bigger things also. mine have slipped down several times while sawing. thanks!

Ian

kelLOGg

Cederman's V-notch approach is good. If you have a lot to do you can make clamps to go along with it you can do without assistance. I use these clamps for bowed cants. You could make a modification for small logs. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,71122.msg1068700.html#msg1068700
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

yukon cornelius

that is a great clamp! i may have to make some of those

shelbycharger400

I've thought of doing something along the lines. Sharpened v on both sides with a screw.  That would keep it solid

Ianab

Another version.

This is what Mahoe sell to hold smaller logs in place with their twin saw mills. Another take on the adjustable spikes idea.

You can adjust for taper by having the wooden bunks at different heights, slipping a board or 2 under them as needed.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!