iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar Oil Vs. Motor Oil?

Started by daveferner, December 07, 2013, 03:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveferner

Is it a bad idea to use regular motor oil as a substitute for bar oil? 

jjw

Ianab

Regular motor oil isn't as good as it doesn't have the "tackifier" added that makes it stick to the bar and chain better.

But in a pinch you can use it, and actually all sorts of other weird things like cooking oil. Main thing is that you have something oily of about the right consistency being pumped on to the bar.

Best to use regular bar oil of course, but if you are caught short, pouring some clean 30-40 into your saw wont damage anything.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Philbert

Bar oil is slippery and sticky. Dip a finger into the bottle and try to shake it off! Then try it with motor oil.

If you have to use 30 weight motor oil, use CLEAN oil, not used (full of junk), and watch your output levels, as you may use more.

Philbert

beenthere

Not "bad", but as Ian said "not as good".  If in a pinch, better than nothing.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I've always used bar and chain oil. I guess some use used motor oil and think it's great. I have never heard of using used oil until I saw it here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sharkey

Ive used fresh 10-30 more than once without issue.  It does fling off the tip somewhat but I think it keeps the chain cleaner.  Listed in the manual for substitute use oftentimes is 20wt motor oil. 

MidWestTree

Get some Canola oil and try it. It works well, and everything left alive where your cutting will thank you.

martyinmi

I've been mixing Stihl summer bar oil with 15W40 Shell Rotella 50:50 in the winter for at least a dozen years now. I get the Rotella free at work, so even mixing it with the high dollar Stihl oil (or sometimes TSC or Husky) still yields an inexpensive oil.

I guess I can't see where the diesel oil with all of it's EP additives mixed with the tacky bar oil could possibly do any harm in the winter months.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? Probably ought to throw that out there! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

SPIKER

this week just starting Menards has Bar Oil on sale 4.99 I think it was so pretty reasonable.  I have 2 new ones...  8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

trapper

Spiker have you opened one of the bottles and checked quality?  I don't like the cheaper of the bar oil fleet farm sells.  Menards has it here at that price also.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

7sleeper

Quote from: martyinmi on December 08, 2013, 09:25:56 PM
I've been mixing Stihl summer bar oil with 15W40 Shell Rotella 50:50 in the winter for at least a dozen years now. I get the Rotella free at work, so even mixing it with the high dollar Stihl oil (or sometimes TSC or Husky) still yields an inexpensive oil.

I guess I can't see where the diesel oil with all of it's EP additives mixed with the tacky bar oil could possibly do any harm in the winter months.

Did I mention that I'm cheap? Probably ought to throw that out there! :D
Did you notice the mix losing it's tackifier? I have tried it too at a 1:5 (1=oil and 5=bar oil). The bar oil completly looses it's tackeyness. I noticed a kind of cloudy mist on the bottom of the bottle consisting of engine oil detergents binding the rubber/latex component.

luvmexfood

Was doing some cutting this morning and just opened a new jug of Poulan Bar Oil that I got at Wally World. It was down somewhere around 15 deg. last night and the oil was in the truck. Put it up front for the 10 minute ride out to where I was cutting.

When refilling I noticed after I got the tank full I must have started moving the jug before it fully stopped pouring. Must have had a 14 inch stretch of oil before it broke. Never seen a horizontal string of oil that long. Guess you could call it tacky.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

cutter88

im going to give my opinion some will disagree... we log full time 5 days a week with three saws running everyday and for 3 straight years ive used nothing but used motor oil for bar oil and on three saws I normal go through about 9 tips a year that's 3 per saw at 11 bucks each that totals 99 bucks a year and im gonna saw most often we change them because theve been pinched so I would say that's a heck of a saving when bar oil is 10 bucks a gallon and I got more used oil then I no what to do with :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

thecfarm

luvmexfood,I have some of that Poulin oil too. I brought some years ago and found some in the back of the tractor shed. That stuff is some stringy. I only use the grade that I have in the summer time. It's thick too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Quote from: cutter88 on December 11, 2013, 08:25:44 PM
im going to give my opinion some will disagree... we log full time 5 days a week with three saws running everyday and for 3 straight years ive used nothing but used motor oil for bar oil and on three saws I normal go through about 9 tips a year that's 3 per saw at 11 bucks each that totals 99 bucks a year and im gonna saw most often we change them because theve been pinched so I would say that's a heck of a saving when bar oil is 10 bucks a gallon and I got more used oil then I no what to do with :)
That used oil better be DanG clean before I use it. As far as I am concerned, oil is a lot cheaper than bars, chains and oil pumps.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Yatt

Quote from: thecfarm on December 11, 2013, 10:11:05 PM
luvmexfood,I have some of that Poulin oil too. I brought some years ago and found some in the back of the tractor shed. That stuff is some stringy. I only use the grade that I have in the summer time. It's thick too.

I like the Poulon oil a lot and is the tackiest I have seen .  But it's way to thick for winter use.
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

bandmiller2

Anyone here really know what the tackifier chemical is they add, it must be common in the oil industry. I have used STP and Motor Honey to do the deed but their expensive. If anyone knows someone in the industry, please ask them. Myself I shy away from drain oil due to carcinogens from combustion and possible abrasive content, but I would freely use drained hydraulic oil or ATF if filtered well with a little STP. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rob5073

Has anyone used the Super Tech brand bar and chain oil at Wally World?  It's $6.99 a gallon. I have not but that's a pretty good price. 

thecfarm

If it was $7 in my area I would try it. I think its $2 more here. I remember a past thread that someone posted Tractor Supply bar oil was cheaper there too. I use TSC bar oil when it's on sale for $7

Rob5073

Actually it is $7.97. I checked on it.  SAE 30 with tackifiers.  I'll try it next time I run out. 

John R

Quote from: thecfarm on December 12, 2013, 09:33:12 AM
If it was $7 in my area I would try it. I think its $2 more here. I remember a past thread that someone posted Tractor Supply bar oil was cheaper there too. I use TSC bar oil when it's on sale for $7
The TSC bar oil is all I've been using for the last few years.
Used to use the Stihl bar oil until it got up to $14.00 for a gallon.
Was at the dealer yesterday and see that Stihl now has a new ultra bar oil at even a higher cost.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Lanternguy

my brother and i used a mixture of bacon grease and warm olive oil once camping on an island, we had no choice either no fire for two days or clean out a saw when we got home, we decided the fire was more important and it worked like a charm, was even getting a nice spray off the tip.   :D
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

cheeves

Use Tractor Supply, but in winter sometimes just use 10-30! In the past used 90 weight from the mine, when I lived out in Ohio, mixed with Kerosene, but it's tough to get the smell out of the pants. Also used Veggie oil! All works!!!

beenthere

I get the Stihl bar oil and it is just under $10 a gallon. Don't shop for a cheaper oil as it really isn't a great expense item...  IMO  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AdkStihl

Quote from: beenthere on December 12, 2013, 11:33:51 AM
I get the Stihl bar oil and it is just under $10 a gallon. Don't shop for a cheaper oil as it really isn't a great expense item...  IMO  ;)

When was the last time you bought STIHL bar oil?
Its $19.99/gal here @ both dealerships.
J.Miller Photography

beenthere

Bought my last gallon this past mid September, but was at the dealer two weeks ago and it is still the same price.
Runs in my head that it is $9.75.
south central Wisconsin

Rob5073

Quote from: Lanternguy on December 12, 2013, 11:25:34 AM
my brother and i used a mixture of bacon grease and warm olive oil once camping on an island, we had no choice either no fire for two days or clean out a saw when we got home, we decided the fire was more important and it worked like a charm, was even getting a nice spray off the tip.   :D

That must have smelled amazing! 

CX3

I use around 3 gallon a week. Ive been paying 8.99. There's no say I'd pay for stihl oil just to sling it on the ground. Thats nuts
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Philbert

Generic brand bar and chain oil periodically goes on sale around here for $5 - $6 per gallon. Sometimes smells funny (sulfur?). I assume that it is reclaimed oil that has been filtered (?), treated (?), and had tackifiers added (?).

Philbert

cutter88

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 11, 2013, 10:15:51 PM
That used oil better be DanG clean before I use it. As far as I am concerned, oil is a lot cheaper than bars, chains and oil pumps.

dumper right outa the used oil drum into jugs don't strain it or nothing and I have wore many saws out and never one replaced an oil pump....
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

thecfarm

May not be an issue for some that don't saw much,but I can and have run through 2 gallons in a week. It does add up.

Paul_H

Quote from: AdkStihl on December 12, 2013, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: beenthere on December 12, 2013, 11:33:51 AM

When was the last time you bought STIHL bar oil?
Its $19.99/gal here @ both dealerships.

It's $11.95 Cnd a gal here.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

The TSC in Gaylord runs a special on bar oil every couple months for a month it's 6 bux a gallon.  At the same time the TSC in Petoskey has it at seven.  It's off sale now and it's seven a gallon in Gaylord  and 10 in Petoskey.  I stocked up last time and should have some left over when it goes on special again.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

cutter88

Quote from: thecfarm on December 12, 2013, 08:06:08 PM
May not be an issue for some that don't saw much,but I can and have run through 2 gallons in a week. It does add up.

I agree if I just diddled around cutting a bit of wood ide buy chain oil but with the three saws going all week we go threw about 4 gallons a week that's why we just run used oil... and it helps with our abundance of used oil
Romans 10 vs 9 

1270d

We use a blend that Servco brews up on their own.  It works fine and should be available if you have a  coop near you.   Going through four or five gallons a day and don't notice any difference in bar, chain or tip life over husky oil.

SPIKER

Quote from: trapper on December 09, 2013, 12:13:20 AM
Spiker have you opened one of the bottles and checked quality?  I don't like the cheaper of the bar oil fleet farm sells.  Menards has it here at that price also.

Trapper  No not yet, I still have a bit of Poulan Oil left it is very tacky vs the most cheaper 30 weight type oil.   In winter I have a bit of the 30 weight type stuff which makes good winter use, but maybe enough for a couple fills is all.   I'll pop open the Menards 4.99 oil and take a look next time Im in the barn..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

bandmiller2

Googled tackifiers seems their very common in the oil industry some sort of polymer couldn't find price or quantity you must order,yet. Frank C.

5quarter

I use only used motor oil and have not noticed any trouble with the chain, bar or sprocket. I change my oil frequently and strain it before it goes into the saws. I can't imagine the savings over the last 10 years or so.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

martyinmi

Quote from: 7sleeper on December 10, 2013, 06:28:47 PM
Quote from: martyinmi on December 08, 2013, 09:25:56 PM

Did you notice the mix losing it's tackifier? 

Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
If you are referring how long the oil strings are, they are definitely shorter, but still present.
The mixture pours much, much better when it's 20*F or colder.

I'd wager nearly everyone reading this thread runs a saw more than I do in a years time. I cut at most 25 full cords each year. Probably closer to 20. We give the majority of it away. The boy and I are going out after I finish typing to finish splitting and stacking a load for delivery on Thursday. Another load goes out on Sunday afternoon.

And NO uncle Al, you are not on my "people in need of firewood" list! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

john_bud

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 11, 2013, 10:15:51 PM

Maybe you didn't figure the math he used?   Assuming the 3 saws running 5 days a week.  I'd conservatively guess he goes through 3 gal of bar oil a day.  Based on a 70cc saw having a 12 oz oil tank and getting filled up 5 times before lunch and 5 times after lunch.  that's 120 oz or a full gallon -- per saw.   That's 25 bucks a day he is saving by using old motor oil vs bar oil.  Or 125 bucks a week.  or $6000 per year -- savings. 

I'm not saying anyone should go one way or the other, but for a full time operator, the savings using old motor oil is greater than the cost of buying a new saw  every year.   
280 acres of tree farm

JohnG28

I understand the math where someone can save  some money going that route, but I put too much money in my saws to run any crap like that through them, especially for my use.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bandmiller2

Anyone honest with themselves will realize bar and chain oil does not hang around long at speed its slung out and really anything slippery will do the deed.I would not use drain oil myself due to health reasons and the black mess but I have no problems with thems that likes it.A much better alternative is used hydraulic or ATF strained to remove lumps. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!