iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvester chain

Started by sawguy21, December 27, 2013, 12:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

On another thread, Holmen Tree mentioned using harvester chain, presumably Oregon 16H, on his 090. Oregon specifically states it is not for use on hand held saws, anyone know why?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 27, 2013, 12:50:27 PM
On another thread, Holmen Tree mentioned using harvester chain, presumably Oregon 16H, on his 090. Oregon specifically states it is not for use on hand held saws, anyone know why?
The harvester chain I ran on my 090AV is Stihl 46HM .063 gauge. Very tough durable chain.
The larger .080 gauge .404 chain for sure is too big for any hand held chainsaw bar available today. From looking at my .063 46HM it has flat straight up and down depth gauges, which would offer no lateral protection in the kerf while making diagonal cuts as you would with a hand held chainsaw.
Safety would be the reason.
My use for the harvester chain on my 090AV was only for cross cutting (bucking) paper rolls.
A mechanical harvester which the chain was designed for also only cross cuts.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sawguy21

The 16H is .404 x .063. 18H, our most popular, is .404 x .080 which definitely does not fit any hand held bars.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

biggest thing is the rackers are alot lower on harvester chain than a chainsaw

HolmenTree

If my memory serves me correct my Stihl 46HM was only .030" depth gauge setting right out of the box.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

That doesn't look much different than some of that old heavy framed chipper chain I have .Pretty beefy tie straps though .

ehp

lots of the new chain is around .050 on harvester rackers ,

Thank You Sponsors!