iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beans.....white/soup/Great Northern

Started by thurlow, October 24, 2014, 12:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thurlow

Can it be two years already?  Local state representative 'throws' a fish fry just before election and I'm usually axed  8) to cook the beans (menu is catfish fillets, French fries, white beans, slaw, hush puppies, soft drinks and dessert).  It's next Tuesday and we usually feed about 500 folks, which means a trip to Sam's Club for 50# of dry beans, plus several pounds of country ham and onions (for seasoning).  Cooking the beans is not as 'glamorous' as cooking the fish, but somebody's got to do it.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

sawguy21

If I leave early tomorrow and evade the smokies I should be in time for dinner. ;D Bean soup sounds mighty good.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WmFritz

One of our Michigan snowmobile clubs holds an annual bean pot. A bar on the trail let's them use their parking lot and they set a 40 gallon cast iron kettle on an open fire full of  bean soup. The last time I made it there, it was 2:30 p.m. and they were scrapping the sides.
A tad bit thick, but so good.  food1
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

69bronco

thurlow

Got through the fish fry, but it wasn't pretty.  It was at the local city park on the 28th of Oct;  cold rainy day.  The pavilion where we were will sit about 90-100 people and I would guess about 125 showed up. Cooked 4 pots of beans and managed to totally scorch/ruin 2 of them;  3rd one was fine and the 4th was edible, but tasted slightly burnt.  Cooked 'em just like always and cooked all 4 the same........far's as I could tell.  Simmered 'em for about 1 1/2 hours, corrected the seasoning and turned 'em off.  When I checked a few minutes later, 2 of 'em already had that burnt taste;  only thing I can figure is that I let 'em get too dry/not enough water..........'though all of 'em looked alike.  The guy cooking the fish/fries/hush puppies is a local redneck  8) who borrows a large fryer (40 gallons of oil) from a catering company in Memphis.  It's got numerous jet burners and he couldn't keep one side 'lit'.  Couldn't keep the temperature up and the servers were constantly waiting on food.  If the expected 500 folks had shown up, it would've been BAD :-[ :-[ . I'm gonna cook a 'practice' pot of beans this weekend to figure out what I did wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

drobertson

Well that does it for me!  beans going on as soon as I make this post!  what a great idea for this first lil cold blast we are getting.. thanks
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

drobertson

Well it's on! thanks to a good post!

and go figure this, Bret just pulled in! very nice to see him. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ron barnes

luvmexfood

Just give a couple of days notice next time your cooking some. The beagle and I will start driving that way. He is a good dishwasher. :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!