iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Donor wheel hub ideas for a log arch?

Started by Delawhere Jack, March 18, 2014, 04:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

Wondering where I might find some wheel hub/axles to use in building a log arch. I'm thinking the the rear hubs off a front wheel drive car might work. One problem may be the bolt hole circle of the hub where it would mount to the uprights. On some GM hubs I've researched the bolt circle is 3.96", meaning I'd need to use much wider tubing to accommodate the bolt pattern, or narrow tube and weld on a flange to mount the hub. Welding the hub itself to the tubing is not an option as the hubs are cast iron.

The cost of new hubs, bearings, axles etc has been the major factor keeping me from building an arch. I figure junk yard parts should cut the cost by more than half.

Any thoughts or words of warning?

Chuck White

Just something to keep in mind!

Most of the front-wheel drive cars don't weigh near as much as some of the logs that we saw, so the hubs on them might not hold up!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Chuck White on March 18, 2014, 04:40:00 PM
Just something to keep in mind!

Most of the front-wheel drive cars don't weigh near as much as some of the logs that we saw, so the hubs on them might not hold up!

Just sayin'!

That is one concern I've got. I figure I'd source them from a mid or full size car with a five bolt pattern. The weak point would be the bolts or studs fastening them to the arch.

I'm kind of up in the air on how large to make the arch too. I've milled logs that approached the weight limit of the mill, 4,400 lbs, but the majority of what I mill is under 3,000 lbs.

Andy White

Delawhere Jack,
Back up a few posts, and look at Magic Man,s arch build. Very neat and simple with very few moving parts.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

It ain't a Logrite, but for a homebuilt arch it worked very well.  Outrigger Log Arch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I myself would make it rugged. Get a log on there and go over a stump and the weight goes to one side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

SOME mini vans & front wheel drive SUVs have some pretty good hubs in them.   There are others like older 2wd drive trucks & use front wheels & bearings off them.   These are heavy duty and most are cast STEEL so can be welded on pretty easy.   I heard that in the 90's GM went to cast iron so stay away from them but the Fords were steel.   I don;t know on the Dodges so would be a toss up.   get battery a powered hand grinder and grind it a bit (cut of blade works great to free up stuff.)   to learn difference sparks on cast iron are different than steel get a hunk of both and grind each back and forth to see what I mean.

There are also good axles and spindles at TSC or online as well but would be buying new adding costs to it but not a great deal over the junkyard prices (junkyards are crazy expensive any more around here.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Tom the Sawyer

I've had logs up to about 3000 lbs. on mine.  Hubs were from a '95 Grand Am.  Fabricator bought them from a local salvage yard.  Hubs, wheels and tires for $130.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

jamesamd

The larger the diameter the tire is,the easier to haul the load.

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Den-Den

You can get a stub axle and hub with bearings (all new) for reasonable money from stores that sell trailer parts.  (Check around, prices vary a lot;  I was able to get a full set-up for two wheels from my steel supplier for less than TSC wanted for just one hub with bearings)

If you have a donor vehicle that will supply hubs, bearings, wheels and tires; that would change the picture.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Wellmud

If you could find a mobile home axle you could cut the axle tube and leave few inches for a stub to weld to.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

boscojmb

I built my log arch from an old boat trailer, and a pop-up camper frame. I used parts from both because they where both free. If you get your hands on either a rotten boat trailer, or the frame from a rotten pop-up camper, either one you have 95% of the materials needed to build your log arch. If you are near the coast, there will be free boat trailers with some frame rot . There is always a supply of free small campers that have water damage.  Remember that shorter is better when it comes to log arches. A short arch does not not lift up on your drawbar / tow vehicle. (I know from experiance, but can't explain why it doesn't pull up on the drawbar, but it doesn't).
I will post pictures in the AM. It's not pretty, but it has pulled more logs than manny 6 figure log skidders.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Delawhere Jack

morgoon

I have a couple axle tube ends cut from a Dana 60 full float 1 ton truck that I can use as stub axles

8 bolt 16.5" rim by whatever size tire you have handy

I haven't built it yet as I am afraid it might be too heavy, but it sure would take some weight.
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Jemclimber

Quote from: boscojmb on March 18, 2014, 10:22:39 PM
  Remember that shorter is better when it comes to log arches. A short arch does not not lift up on your drawbar / tow vehicle. (I know from experiance, but can't explain why it doesn't pull up on the drawbar, but it doesn't).
I will post pictures in the AM. It's not pretty, but it has pulled more logs than manny 6 figure log skidders.

This only matters if your log is not suspended and your drag coefficient turns your arch into a lever.  Lots of people use a rear dolly on the log when hauling long logs to reduce drag plus keep the log out of the dirt.  A tall arch can have advantages as well. I've used the height (approximately 6 ft) of my arch to set large stones and transplant trees.  Things that were too heavy for the FEL. There are usually pros and cons to most decisions one just needs to weigh these to see what fits best.
lt15

Remle

Safety First,,okay some are going to laugh, "BRAKES" who needs brakes. Not only can you pull heavier loads with one end in the air they also require more stopping power, an electric brake controller wired to your tow vehicle gives you an additional measure of stopping assistance. If you go with the mobile home axle as Well mud suggest you have an additional advantage of having electric brakes. Our local scrap yard has several travel trailers waiting to be dismantled. 

scrout

Junkyard spindles and hubs, you can use the fronts off any 1/2 ton 4x4, or you can use the "full floater" spindles and hubs off the rears.  Usually the rears are 3/4 ton 8 lug units which are probably overkill.  1/2 ton fronts were either gm 6 on 5.5 pattern or ford 5 on 5.5 pattern (jeep too).
Trailer parts depot has 1 1/16 spindles and 5 on 4.5 hubs for 2700 lbs pair rating for $45 a side.

pineywoods

Ditto the mobile home axle.  I bought an axle complete with brakes, wheels and tires for 60 bucks. Any mobile home home dealer will have them laying around, take offs from new trailers. Normally them come in 3500 or 7000 pound load ratings. The tires are an odd size, 14.5 inch tubeless, they are bad to leak around the rims. A 14 inch tube works fine. You get an 8 ft piece of 3 inch tubing as a extra.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

Third on that idea.  I built my arch maybe 15 years ago by using a trailer axle.  Pineywoods is better at shopping, as I payed a few more dollars.

I found a good deal a couple of years ago on new stub axles and hubs.  Shop the trailer places and ebay.  I don't think mind were real heavy...I was using one to build a firewood bundle wrapper.  Still, trailer axles are cheaper as you get the whole enchilada that way.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

yellowrosefarm

An old manure spreader would be a great donor. You would get tractor size tires and a very heavy duty spindle/pipe axle. Plus, they aren't worth much once they are rusted out or the moving parts are busted. There is probably enough other metal in the frame to build the whole arch. The trick would be finding one before it got hauled to the scrap yard. A wanted ad on C-list or calling around to local dairy farms might turn one up.

36 coupe

My log arch was built with new stub axles, hubs and bearings.I bought the parts when I could afford them.Trying to build cheap will just waste a lot of time and projects built with scrap. always look like scrap.I bought my steel a bit at a time.A warning on boat trailers.My boat trailer has 1 inch axles and small tires.I had the log arch built long before I got my saw mill.I had a pair of wheels with good tires and a winch.All parts were bought a few at a time.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: 36 coupe on March 22, 2014, 06:20:08 PM
My log arch was built with new stub axles, hubs and bearings.I bought the parts when I could afford them.Trying to build cheap will just waste a lot of time and projects built with scrap. always look like scrap.I bought my steel a bit at a time.A warning on boat trailers.My boat trailer has 1 inch axles and small tires.I had the log arch built long before I got my saw mill.I had a pair of wheels with good tires and a winch.All parts were bought a few at a time.

I know, some times you spend more time crawling around a junkyard than it's really worth.

I'm really tempted by the link Jake put up for the surplus center hubs/spindles, but I've just been burned SO MANY TIMES with cheap import stuff.

Still cogitating........

Magicman

They do not have much weight carrying capacity.  The mobile home axle/tires that I used are rated at over 5K lbs.  That plus the two tires/rims only cost me $100.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

36 coupe,you are kinda right. But I have ALOT of stuff that I have collected over the years. If I can spend $20 on wire for my welder instead of $1000 for something,the $20 wins out. Most times I don't either bother to paint my projects. Now if I was selling some of my projects,I would put the paint to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!