iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker,, pros and cons

Started by reswire, March 19, 2014, 08:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I bought my sawmill used.  You say that there was supposed to be a beeper?? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Yes, there is supposed to be a beeper that resembles the sound of a vehicle that is backing up.

The beeper is supposed to be sounding whenever the debarker is running!

edit:  A regular automotive back-up alarm will not work!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

nk14zp

How many circle sawmills have added a mudsaw?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

terrifictimbersllc

More than once walked around the head for whatever reason and that little blade was spinning. Could do a number on a spinal column.  :o :o :o :o
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim H

The first job I did with a working beeper was for a repeat customer. He told me he'd pay extra if I made it stop :D. I never got around to hooking it back up. ;D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

backwoods sawyer

When I updated the debarker It came with the beeper, had to unplug it on the first job as the horses did not like it and were getting a bit antcy  :o.
Now little Jo uses it to get my atention with 3 quick beeps ::)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

It's there for a reason. Assuming it's wired up correctly, if the key is switched on, the debarker is switched on, and the carriage control is set to forward, the debarker will be running -- very quietly. The sawmill engine doesn't have to be running either -- just have the key set to auxiliary.

If you're going to walk around to the front of the carriage, then the beeper may be the only thing that warns you the debarker is running.

I've made it a habit to have the key turned off whenever I walk around to the front. That's for my protection. I plug in the beeper whenever there's visitors. That's for their protection.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

They do make diffeant tones of beepers. Where I work was loud. We was having a hard time hearing the beep of a forklift. The guy in charge of the lifts said he could put a diffeant tone on it so we could hear it better.
With my hearing, if I was around a lift that was backing up and a de barker and they both had the same "beep" I would have no idea which one was which.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sawyer697

Got a debarker the day I got my new mill, Do not need it all the time, but all it takes is some mud or rocks from dragged logs, and your blade is shot. If you saw dirty logs, and who does not, then a debarker is a good investment! Love mine.
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

Dave Shepard

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 23, 2014, 10:38:07 AM
More than once walked around the head for whatever reason and that little blade was spinning. Could do a number on a spinal column.  :o :o :o :o

The debarker blade, while dangerous, is not as dangerous as a skill saw blade. In fact, my T shirt did a pretty good job of stalling it out. The wire had gotten pulled out, so I had no idea it was still running. It didn't leave too bad of a scar. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bandmill Bandit

I know i would not want to be with out the debarker on my mill. It sure saves blades on dirty logs. I taped a thin piece of foam over the beeper to just take that sharp edge out of the beep. It is still loud enough to hear but doesn't hurt the ears. Also thinking of adding a flashing light (red or yellow) that will activate with the beeper.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

nastcat

I was wondering why you couldn't just spray off the mud with a powerwasher before making your cut?

Magicman

Sometimes you can do very well with a hose or pressure washer.  Usually you can then be prepared for more mud or some careful log handling.

Here is a very recent job where the logs were picked up by a trackhoe and washed.  Even then, there was still dirt, mud, and sand and I was glad to have the Debarker.  Simple answers and solutions are not always simple.

My sawing is portable at the customer's location where water is very seldom available anyway. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: nastcat on March 24, 2014, 08:49:04 PM
I was wondering why you couldn't just spray off the mud with a powerwasher before making your cut?

I did the pressure washer thing for a good while with my old mill that didn't have a debarker.  At the best of times in the summer it was a time consuming, wet, soggy mess due to the unpredictable rebound of the high pressure water off the bark and debris.  I couldn't help but get wet.  At other times of the year, like in the winter, spring and fall, it was just a cold, wet, soggy mess :D.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

I would think that the pressure washing would drive some dirt deeper.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Another plus for winter snow. Ice is easier on blades than dirt. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bandmill Bandit

The debarker is a lot less time consuming to use than a pressure washer so you end up with more lumber cut in the processing time of the logs that have mud and dirt on them.

Seems like a pretty good investment to me.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

I can not wait around for customers to pressure wash logs.  Also, when it is done, it has to be far enough from the sawmill to keep from making a muddy mess.

The idea sound good when in actuality it is not very productive.

hardtailjohn

Quote from: Brucer on March 23, 2014, 02:18:20 AM
The beeping is annoying, but it's there for a reason. However ...

When I was contract sawing for a timber framer, his forklift made the same sound when backing up. Soon after I bought my second mill (with debarker) they had a couple of close calls with the forklift while backing up. Folks were getting so used to the annoying beep, beep, beep from my mill that they stopped paying attention to the forklift. True, they should have been paying attention, but the fact, some of them weren't.

So I modified my mill -- put a small plug on one of the wires to the beeper. Since I didn't have a helper right at the mill, I could safely leave it unplugged. But whenever visitors came by, I'd plug it back in.

Yep....safety 3rd!!!!!  I've been preaching this for years!!!! Check out Mike Rowe's video....  http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2009/08/safety-third-huh/
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Bandmill Bandit

I have said for years that safety is no accident but neither is stupidity.

That is pretty much what Mike Rowe's video implies.

reswire

I checked with Timberking.  It's $1695. for a debarker for my mill.   I also tried to use my blade sharpener for the first time tonight.  I couldn't believe how many missing, misshaped teeth were on my old blades.  I think I'll bite the bullet and get the debarker.  Probably worth more than the sharpener. :D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Chuck White

I'm pretty sure you won't regret springing for the debarker!

You'll wonder how you got along without it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

not sure what timber king has for a sharpener or what it is worth but I do know that I would have bought at least 2 sharpeners worth of re-sharp/shipping cost if if I had not bought the sharpening equipment at the same time I bought my mill.

Thank You Sponsors!