iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't tar and feather me for this.

Started by Small Slick, March 22, 2014, 06:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

I get the impression many FF members are sawmill purists; so be gentle.

Does any one use their mill to split logs for firewood?  My dad wants to build a wood processor and about the second question he asked about my mill is if it could be used to make firewood.

I have no intention of doing so but it seems to me two passes through the mill is a lot faster than splitting a bunch of individual blocks.

John

Chuck White

John, I'm sure there are quite a few here on the Forum that use their sawmills to split firewood!

Hey, what the heck, if it makes things easier and cheaper, go for it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

A better tact if the logs are half decent is slab them real heavy you not only get your firewood but lumber also, for a wood shed. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

petefrom bearswamp

Never tried this.
My most efficient method is a chainsaw, tractor, hyd splitter ,52 yr old son and 24 yr old grandson.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GDinMaine

TAR AND FEATHER THAT GUY!!!!

Just kidding.  I would say why not, if it makes your life easier. The mill doesn't know if the wood will make a cabinet or burn in the stove.  You are not abusing the equipment, just use the product for a different purpose.   smiley_beertoast
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

I have never intentionally made firewood with my mill. A few times I have made firewood.  ;D
If you think it will save time,go at it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedarman

Come on guys.  You know very well you have made firewood with your mill. Some of you  just not intentionally. :D :D :D :D
Ok, now you remember that shim board you made when you forgot to let the toe roller down. :D :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

YellowHammer

Sometimes I thought that was all I was doing, generating firewood

smiley_thumbsup
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dboyt

Yes, I've made firewood on the sawmill, and I tend to take heavy slabs when working with low grade wood, because I know it will eventually be used for firewood.

If you set up an efficient way to handle the logs, I believe you'd find that it is faster and more efficient to cut to length and split with a hydraulic (or flywheel) splitter.  Splitting on the mill gives you four times as many logs to crosscut (assuming you are quartering the logs), and you'll probably figure that as long as it is on the mill, you might as well get a few boards out of it.

I set up a log deck for my firewood, sort of a step toward a processor.  It lets me do all the lifting with the front end loader, gets the wood off the ground for cutting, the chain saw only starts once per log, and all the wood is next to the splitter, ready to go.  What it comes down to, is that the splitter is more efficient at splitting wood than a band saw blade, with less maintenance.

Here are a couple of photos of my log deck.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Billbob

Quote from: Small Slick on March 22, 2014, 06:43:05 AM
I get the impression many FF members are sawmill purists; so be gentle.

Does any one use their mill to split logs for firewood?  My dad wants to build a wood processor and about the second question he asked about my mill is if it could be used to make firewood.

I have no intention of doing so but it seems to me two passes through the mill is a lot faster than splitting a bunch of individual blocks.

John

The firewood would stack alot nicer!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The first year I got my mill, I did cut firewood.
I would saw a log into strips and then to lengths with the chainsaw.
IMO....no work was saved.
The second year, the sawmill business exploded and I didn't have time.
Now I give a guy all my crooked logs for firewood has long as he cuts me 2 loads a year.
Works out pretty good this way.

Tar and Feather?......I get it every week from somebody.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It would be better to say that I have used stuff off of the sawmill for firewood rather than intentionally making firewood on the sawmill.  Yes it would work, but it would be slow and very inefficient.  The close stacking would impede drying and two pieces together in the firebox can be cumbersome. 

No tar or feathers for you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Even if not stacked tightly wouldnt split dry faster than sawed?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Barney II

I tried it  one time some years back--a lot of it.  It made the nicest stack, even the neighbor commented-----------It just did not dry----yep, should have known better.  Haven't done it since and it really never saved that much time-----Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Al_Smith

I've had stuff sawn that probabley would have better served as firewood if that accounts for anything other than stupidity .

Dave Shepard

I've cut up stuff that I couldn't split with a maul, like a 24" knotty hard maple.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

OneWithWood

I have cut some firewood on the mill and even dried some in the kiln.
None of it was intentional but all of it burned just fine  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GAB

OneWithWood wrote: "I have cut some firewood on the mill and even dried some in the kiln.  None of it was intentional but all of it burned just fine."   To me this is a salvage operation you salvage what you can.
Al_Smith wrote: "I've had stuff sawn that probabley would have better served as firewood if that accounts for anything other than stupidity."   I have seen some very interesting and unique wood from some butt ugly logs, and some bad lumber from beautiful logs.  I agree with the statement - a log is like a Christmas present - you do not know what is inside until you open it.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Al_Smith

I've got some interesting rough sawn that was the top 35 feet of a hundred foot white oak .Some is usable in board lengths and some will make shortys-6,8 footers .Some of the limb knots air dried solid and some did not .

I suppose that's just the way that works out on a log or logs that would otherwise be a cull .The drops will just be higher priced firewood if nothing else .Ooooh white oak burns goood .

Ianab

Local guy was using a twin saw (Mahoe) to break down big old pine logs. The logs were a bit everage, some big knots and rotten spots, so he was only getting about 50% recovery of good boards.

But what he did was cut 4x4s, which he had a good market because of the size, age of the trees, which made strong posts for building.

Anyway his setup was the mill dragged the sawn board back onto a roller table where they could check the quality. If it was good, it was flipped off onto the "good" stack. If it was a reject or a slab, it went on out the other end, and into an automatic chop saw and conveyor, powered by a tractor. This cut the 4x4s into ~12" pieces, and loaded them onto a small dump truck with no extra handling.

So he had it figured out that with the low sawing costs of he small circle mill, even if the whole log was rejects, he still made a small profit on the 2 loads of firewood it produced, with very little labour input. The boards where only handled once on the roller table, and where either stacked (ready to be loaded on to a truck) or pushed into the processor.

So I don't think the idea is so crazy.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

47sawdust

Dboyt and all others,

Log deck for firewood--youtube''Best way to cut firewood Al Holter''
No tech good idea!
How ever you do it,still hard work but satisfying.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Small Slick

So I said in my post I didn't plan on using the mill for this purpose and that hasn't changed; however.

My dad has a dream of building a processor for fire wood. He is going to build a guilateen (that word is French and I can't spell in English so...) first to be sure  that works before he makes the splitter part. My Idea is this:

In order to save him time and money we use my saw to split logs. Then there is a gravity powered roller conveyor the split log flows down until it hits a stop plate. This stop plate is 16" from the shear my dad made. The shear shears and the block falls into a hopper is conveyed up an elevator to a dump truck and off to be stacked.

Again my mill wasn't bought to do that task but dull bands could be used and splitting is very labor intensive. I know it won't dry as well as split wood. It will have to be stacked differently too.

John

customsawyer

I do it on occasion. When I do it I unload with the tractor and place a bunch on a log type log deck. I then take the saw with the 48" bar and cut about 15-20 blocks per cut. I then stack it with other wood that was split on the splitter so it will dry better.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Sixacresand

A log splitter is a lot cheaper than a mill.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!