iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is what you call "starting them young".

Started by LOGDOG, May 10, 2011, 01:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooney

Great video.  This made the rounds at Wood-Mizer headquarters a couple of weeks ago, and we really enjoyed it, but we did not feel like we could actively endorse kids running the LT70! :-X  This little guy has some guts, that's for sure  8)

metalspinner

:D

Put the controls into a Gameboy console and every set of hands under the age of 12 can run it perfectly. :D :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Tom

I always thought training youth was a great thing and then I read the State of Florida's child labor laws.  They don't just pertain to paid employees but restrict the age of a person around a sawmill strictly by age, whether family or not.

Chris Burchfield

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

SPIKER

[quote authoEr=Chris Burchfield link=topic=50805.msg733677#msg733677 date=1305070118]
Get him a seat!   :D :D :D
[/quote]
I think you mean get him a BOOSTER seat! ahhaah :D
Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

LOGDOG

I like how he is looking down, paying attention to when the trailer axle is coming up. You know he's seen his daddy bust his chins a time or two. He ain't gonna make the same mistake.  ;) Looking forward to that little guy growing up and finding the Forum. I wasn't much older than him when I caught the sawmill bug.

Jeff

I thought the video was cute. Until I looked further at the youtube channel. The sawmill is incidental to whatever it is they are trying to do. They have the kid feeding a woodchipper too which is way over the top. He's too young certainly for that and its clearly being done by his parents or who ever it is filming these, for some sort of purpose other than for the childs well being

Take a look at some of the videos and see if you might agree.

http://www.youtube.com/user/pederkofoed#g/u

captain_crunch

Have caught heck about it but Jered and Kristen have run backhoe and dozer since they were 5 15 years later they are both good opperators. Jered can run belsaw mill better than most. My problem was they WANTED to so teaching them was easier than  locking them in house ::) ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Jeff

I didnt mind the sawmill at all, nothing wrong with that, but the chipper is just plain STUPID!

D Hagens

I see nothing wrong with teaching your children to be part of the experience, I for one taught my son at three years of age how to stack and spark up the wood stove with me right there helping him. Motor functions of a three year old is pretty wobbly so yup I was always behind him holding his arms while he swung the axe :D  
As for the vids I'm kind of wondering why the boy has am/fm ear protection and why the H E double hockey sticks would you not teach your child about safety and give him some eye protection >:( >:( >:(
When I saw the link that Jeff posted about the wood chipper I gasped :o Just takes a chip to take his eye out :o

LOGDOG

Yep, I don't like the woodchipper video. I gasped when the branch snaps toward him as the chipper get a hold of it. I didn't like the ladder scenario either.

Totally agree that the little guy needs safety glasses. My shop teacher asked me one day, while I was in Junior high working on the bandsaw, if I was planning on getting a sliver in my throat? I said, "Huh?" He says, "Well I see you have your safety glasses around your neck and was wondering if you're planning on getting a sliver in your throat?" I never forgot that. I wear safety glasses now even if I'm in a cab of a machine.

I know my folks probably had me do some things that were dangerous for my age growing up. At 12 I was given the duty of cutting the firewood to length for the family and putting it up. My little brother and I had already been splitting the wood with an axe or mall and wedge combo for a long time prior to that and bringing in 2-3 wheelbarrows of firewood every night during the winter. Man I hated that. Then there was shoveling snow off the roof of the story and a half raisesd ranch house in the winter. Somehow I made it without getting hurt too bad. I'm a safety nut though these days. I've had a few sobering close calls in my life that I never forgot. Hopefully this little guy's parents start thinking safety.

SPIKER

never too early to teach the kids how to do something as long as you are there watching & helping as needed providing guidance so they KNOW not to be doing such things without supervision as they get older they will learn more safety knowledge and be a better person with a better future.

I ran lots of stuff at the young age by 9 I had a regular mowing & snow shoveling jobs.   at 12 my cousin and I had two trailers and were on way to some very nice equipment.   Did really well for the early 80s era economy he got into dirt bikes and I got into girls :D  Ya that helped me blow a lot of that green we were earning lol...    By 14 I was painting cars part time & working part time in a machine shop while going to JR high.   by 20 I had done more stuff than most 40 year olds lol

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

captain_crunch

I had to teach the twins (boy and girl) how to opperate macherny or they tauht them selfs ::) ::)  3 kiddies running a  HD-11 loader is a site to see ;D ;D Kristen would pop up look around tell Jered directions loader would make adjustments and sissy would pop up again to see where they were headed. And they would always go for the steepest route. Maybe wrong but 8 year old cat skinners run in my family 
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

weisyboy

i have no problym with any of those vids.

in the chipper one, he is standing as far away as possible and out of the way of the stick, he jumps back as soon as its grabbed, hes obviously been taught what to do, and how to do it safely.

i for one know i was doing mutch more ddangerous things when i was that age, without my parents even knowing. we are breeding a generation of soft sissy kids scared of going out the front door.

a mates son helped me out for a day (his father was there) he cut up 2 logs 18" x10' on his own after i showed him what to do.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Jeff

weisyboy

i have never regretted anything i have done, i have learned from my mistakes and am a better man for them.

i had a mutch better child hood than some that i know that were not allowed to do anything, stuck inside.

if i have kids i will bring them up the same way i was brought up.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

tcsmpsi

Ahhhh...."if i have children"....is a key.   Might be a bit surprised as to those, learning from my mistakes and how that translates to parenting.    ;)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

D Hagens

Quote from: weisyboy on May 12, 2011, 04:10:33 AM
i have no problym with any of those vids.

in the chipper one, he is standing as far away as possible and out of the way of the stick, he jumps back as soon as its grabbed, hes obviously been taught what to do, and how to do it safely.

i for one know i was doing mutch more ddangerous things when i was that age, without my parents even knowing. we are breeding a generation of soft sissy kids scared of going out the front door.

a mates son helped me out for a day (his father was there) he cut up 2 logs 18" x10' on his own after i showed him what to do.

Funny how the father has the flip down protection.......doesn't use it.....yop that's showing the kid the right way! And the son has no eye protection! 2 bucks for safety glasses and save an eye! Around here most of our chainsaw dealers give em away for free cause they know the dangers of flying debris.

captain_crunch

This quite a while back but kids prouving not only can run the cat but understand the winch also. Neighbor was amazed that my mini wariors(his nick name for them) understood running cat even tho it all 3 of em to get it done. That is Kristen Tank comander relaying orders to Jered Tank driver

Thank You Sponsors!