iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apples or carrots whats your deer eating?

Started by Novascotiamill, October 16, 2018, 02:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

So its that time of year that I put a pile of apples and carrots behind the camp to feed the wildlife for a bit with hopes of drawing in a big antlered buck. So far this year the carrots have been chosen in a 5 to 1 ratio to the apples. Funny that in other areas ive put out the same stuff the apples always went first. 
  Just wondering what others are using and how choosey are the deer! 
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Don P

We can't have any bait out after Labor Day and if they get into the wife's garden Katie bar the door but I've shut down the sawmill a number of times, turn around and there's one happily munching under the apple tree.

hedgerow

Our deer in my area are field corn and soybean feed. They don't lack for food until the crops are out and we get a winter with deep snow. The last couple of years enough corn was blown down the deer had a good winter. 

Corley5

I found over the course of many deer seasons that I got the best bang for my buck ;) :D ;D feeding straight up shell corn with just a few sugar beets.  I fed carrots, apples and ear corn @ times too.  One year I went down to Old Mission Peninsula and bought seven big crates of apples.  Another time I took my 550 over to East Jordan and got a load of ear corn.  The deer in my neighborhood preferred the shell corn and sugar beets.  Shell corn is cheaper than ear corn and they don't eat the cob anyway.  I forget what I paid for beets by the skid loader bucket last time but one bucket lasted longer than the firearm season.  The five hundred pounds of shell corn did too.  I gave the left overs to a neighbor for his pig.  This is the last year for baiting in Michigan :-\ :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don P

Cornish meat chickens in a moveable coop are a good dual purpose breed. They provide meat quickly, they're also so dialed up feed passes right through them. They poop so much I'd have to move them every afternoon. I'd enjoy watching the wildlife trailing the chicken coop.

Southside

Don - reading the first sentence of your post I was really wondering where you were going with that.  I could see chickens as bear bait - but deer?? :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

With corn on the cob squirrels may carry it off and the deer don't get to it. The bane of my existence are doves which land in droves and clean up the corn from my feeders before the deer get it unless I feed at night which does me no good. I tried plastic hawks and owls with no luck so I keep slingshots and marbles/steel balls in both shooting houses. Used one to chase off an old sow bear a couple years ago who climbed an adjacent little hickory tree and was getting into my feeder. I don't hunt them and she had cubs but I did not want her tearing up my feeder. A well placed marble worked fine.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

Around here they eat arrows and lead :D :D :D. 
Man makes plans and God smiles

Klicker

It depends on what they are used to. Last year my oldest brother put out carrots and they stayed there  till after the new year and it snowed then they dug them up an ate them. He gave me some to try this year and on trail cames you can see them going around them on trails that they have been using  for 27 plus years.
2006 LT 40 HD

mike_belben

$5.25 for a 50lb bag of shelled corn.  I put it out for the deer but get a cam full of squirrel, chipmunk, crow and finch.  The chickens like it. 

I think theres still too much browse up for the deer to really go seeking far in my area.  They eat the heck out of black gum and red maple sprouts.  If i hinge cut a brush wall that offers the security they want, then lob a few maple and gum culls with 2 ft of trunk itll shrub out and they just chew it to nothing.  Way heavier browsing behind the security of bush cover along my travel corridors than what i see in the open.  Every so often ill prune that growth off with the top handle and it starts over.  Regenerative feeder poles. 

Theres a clearing i made that regened into a bloom of shade tolerants.  I just keep cutting it back to knee height so its always growing fresh shoots and never overtaking the new hardwood seedlings. Its become almost a pungee stick field.  I think it gives the fawns a bit of coyote protection.  They can just bound right over it but a yote would get tore up trying to dash through.  
Praise The Lord

Novascotiamill

Wow 5 bucks for 50lb of corn,we ve been paying 10 per 50lb of carrots bagged. So far this year weve had lots of rabbits,a few porcupines (RIP),a beaver(first time) and a bobcat(first time) all checking out the carrots. The bobcat was coming in shortly after a small 4pt buck was browsing the carrots,but we figure the cat is after the rabbits. So far no beers this year,although we havent placed any apples yet.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

sawguy21

Baiting isn't allowed here. I don't hunt but seems to me that gives the hunter an unfair advantage. Just my opinion.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gspren

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 13, 2018, 05:56:55 PM
Baiting isn't allowed here. I don't hunt but seems to me that gives the hunter an unfair advantage. Just my opinion.
Baiting isn't allowed here either but I've hunted states where it is and it's certainly no guaranty, I have no problem with it where it's legal. Even here where baiting is illegal you can sit near an apple tree that has apples on the ground, it's not baiting until you move the apples, likewise you can watch over corn, beans, clover, etc where it was planted. 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Southside

Once saw a guy drag in a full back pack of apples and set them under spruce and fir trees where he would hunt over them and pick them up at the end of the day.  This was a long ways from any apple trees so the deer 1) had no idea what those things were and 2) had no chance to discover them since he would collect them each day.  (not legal to bait deer there).  So it does not always work.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

You cant hunt over bait here.  but every poacher does.  More shots happen after dark than during day where i live.  It is legal to feed deer up until 2 weeks before the hunt and all traces must be gone.  Rifle season hasnt started yet.  

I feed deer to keep them out of the poaching plot.  If i encounter a deer that isnt afraid of me i run it off. 
Praise The Lord

maple flats

No baiting allowed here either, but the deer here like to eat and sleep in my blueberry fields. They feed on next years crop, which is a small bud this time of year. A good shooting house and hunters work best.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Chop Shop

braucher

I planted an acre of blue top turnips and Radish / tubors
I have tube feeders weaning them off of corn mixing with 20%

protein pellets will be on the pellets by end of the month. Deer are ruminants .
I do not feed corn in the winter it screws up there rumin supply . They need protein in 
the winter not carbohydrates .IMHO

Thank You Sponsors!