iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SPIB Short Course

Started by E-Tex, September 12, 2018, 11:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

Has anyone taken this "short-course" or similar?  This one is an online course from the SPIB (Southern Pine Inspection Bureau).

Southern Pine Short Course | SPIB | Southern Pine Inspection Bureau

They offer 3 e-learning courses (Southern Pine, Western Species, and Canadian Species).....and they offer the same 3 in a "short-course".

I'd like to know if others have taken these courses and your thoughts on the course.

Thanks!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

I would think that the course would be for someone wanting to become a lumber grader for a sawmill, etc.  Sawmills have the stamp, not individuals.  Completing the course would not necessarily earn a stamp and qualify you to grade and stamp lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

E-Tex

just looking to take a course or two for some general knowledge....not become a grader.  Plan to take a Harwood lumber grading course and hopefully find a course like this one at the SPIB.  Wanting a better understanding and hopefully become a better sawyer!
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

:P  That is the correct reason and answer.    8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

etroup10

I am currently taking the NHLA grading course(progressive course, 2 weeks in memphis, online portion and then 3 weeks back in memphis) for becoming a grader at work, in the online portion now. Just learning the basics of grading will help tremendously when it comes to sawing and improving your quality. Knowing where to trim can make a huge difference in value. Example, at work i have been grading packs of lumber, then our other graders check it when they run it through equipment. School rules are to buy lumber as it is, not trim it. However the company i work for will trim lumber and buy it as the grade after being trimmed. In ONE pack of 10' red oak, it accounted for a $300 difference between my grade(not trimming) and our graders. As a sawyer that adds up quick if your buyer buys it as is. So it is extremely valuable for every sawyer to know how to grade and know the rules for grading. If you can I would highly suggest taking at least a short course and really get to know the rules. And if you can afford the full course, i would recommend that. 
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Don P

Understand that NHLA is grading for appearance and yield, dimensional lumber grading is about assigning strength grades, they do not interchange or overlap at all.

I haven't taken an online course, I did the course at TP Inspections in Conyers, GA based on SPIB grading rules and thought it was quite worthwhile. A quick scroll down the syllabus it looks like the same material. In a class room you get to interrupt, ask questions, etc but this is cheaper than class and travel/lodging.
I'd start with a review of the National Grade Rule, the textbook they are teaching;
http://secure.itswebs.com/nawla/Level_II_Jeopardy/story_content/external_files/National_Grading_Rules.pdf

http://nlga.org/en/publications-for-download/

Thank You Sponsors!