iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire Extinguisher

Started by Magicman, November 26, 2021, 12:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on November 26, 2021, 06:16:24 PM
Speaking of dry chem, here's a neat little trick. Blasting a dry chem extinguisher into a working chimney fire is not easy and can, in itself, be hazardous. But if you talk nice to your fire equipment supplier you may just be able to get some of the dry chem itself. You put a pound or two in a brown paper bag (a 'sack' if you are west of the Mississippi) and just tape the top shut. When you have a working chimney fire, just jump up on the roof and drop it down the chimney. The fire will burn off that bag right quick and the dry chem will go to work. I always liked keeping some of these chimney bombs on the truck, it can reduce the level of excitement pretty quick in the right conditions.
We do pretty much the same here Tom and been quite successful at that but we use a 1 gallon ziplock bag that just melts and the powder gets dispersed. We store the bags along with an old rectangular truck mirror for looking up the chimney through the clean out (if there is one) in a galvanized salvage tub just in case they get torn so we don't have dry chem powder all over the compartment.

Brent

firefighter ontheside

We used to carry plastic bags of dry chem.  Mostly now, we just put a fan in the front door and open up the stove or fireplace.  Shoot dry chem into the stove until dry chem comes out the chimney.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DbltreeBelgians

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on November 27, 2021, 01:35:48 PM
We used to carry plastic bags of dry chem.  Mostly now, we just put a fan in the front door and open up the stove or fireplace.  Shoot dry chem into the stove until dry chem comes out the chimney.
We have done that as well Bill. We try to avoid water on a block or clay flue unless we have extension into the structure due to the potential for cracking the flue but sometime you have no choice. Much prefer the dry chem option.

Brent

metalspinner

My dad owned a fire extinguisher service and repair business when I was growing up. I spent many days of my childhood hanging around his shop and "helping."  And going on service calls to the shipyards and businesses. I can also recall looking at extinguishers around town to see if Dad's signature was on the card. 

Anyway, He would discharge old extinguishers,  sandblast, repaint, recharge, etc. My job was to sift the river sand that was dumped on the parking lot so his sandblaster wouldn't get clogged. 😂

If I think about it just right, I can still smell that dry chemical 40 years later. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

firefighter ontheside

Just the other day at the firehouse someone brought an expired dry chem extinguisher to the firehouse and asked if we could dispose of it for them.  I put it in my truck and it will now be my expired extinguisher for use around the place.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Last time I was up at the fire training center we had about 300 of them in various shapes, sizes, and conditions. They were trying to fiure out what to do with them all. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on December 07, 2021, 09:44:59 PM
Last time I was up at the fire training center we had about 300 of them in various shapes, sizes, and conditions. They were trying to fiure out what to do with them all. ;D
That seems like a good problem!

Old saw fixer

We put a new fire extinguisher in each new police car, and when stripping the old turn in cars removed the old extinguishers.  After 130,000 miles of rolling around in the trunk they were in rough shape, safety pins missing, some were empty and some went off when removing from nooks and crannies.  Nasty stuff, cough,cough!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

metalspinner

There was a fire extinguisher incident in our local Kroger this week. I just missed seeing what happened, but the after effects were awful. 
The cloud started to climb up from the back end of the kitchen utensil aisle near the cheese aisle at the back of the store. I came around the corner to see the extinguisher on the floor. The hose was still attached to the strap. But the floor had 1/4" of dry chem on it half way up the aisle. 
Shoppers just kept on shopping and didnt seem to care. They were just walking up and down the aisle. 
Within 10 minutes, the cloud was into the produce department. All the time, there was no urgency from the staff. 
They will be cleaning that store for weeks. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Southside

You can always just take them out for a ride now and then, they seem to appreciate it.   :D

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dougtrr2

Speaking of making a mess with an extinguisher.  When I was in the Air Force I worked in Tech Engineering for Minuteman Missiles.  We got called out to the ReEntry Vehicle area to look at an APU on an unmarked semi bristling with antennas.  As we were looking at the unit the APU caught fire. It was quickly put out with a purple K fire extinguisher.  After the incident my buddy, for God knows what reason, tried to put the pin back in the extinguisher.  He shot purple K all over the shoes of our full bird Deputy commander for maintenance.  The commander was a good sport about it, but it took him a long time to live that one down.

Doug in SW IA

Sod saw

In reply #7, the talk was about smacking the extinguisher on the bottom while having turned it up side down.

While rebuilding our boat, I was told to mount all of the extinguishers sideways instead of up-right. In other words they should be horizontal so that when the boat rocks or tips on its side as the wind blows, the dry chemical inside the extinguisher bottle will keep itself fluffy and loose instead of packing down to the bottom of the bottle .

I wonder if the same trick will work in a car or truck or dozer or . . . . . ?

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

Thank You Sponsors!