iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One and only

Started by Air Lad, February 08, 2019, 06:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Air Lad

If (heaven forbid) you could only have/keep one of your prized line up of chainsaws. Be it doomsday,survival,backyard maintenance,storm cleanup or just helping a mate or neighbour..It should be an allrounder

Which one(one)1... is it ?
please show a pic   

lxskllr

My 362cm. My first good saw. Big enough to do big stuff, but not too terrible for little jobs.

ButchC

Thats an easy one for me, my old 036 that was the very first one sold by my dealer. Its old school dumb, but so am I. A 60CC saw is almost never the best saw for a job but does most things reasonably well if one is going to be stuck with one saw,, in my opinion.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

upnut

For what you've described, Stihl MS 241 C M.....

Light, smooth, sips fuel, easy on the arms and back....Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Inaotherlife

A 50cc would be nicer if I had to cut a bunch of firewood, but this one would get it done. And easier to carry up a tree when I have to.

hedgerow

I am like Butch I have a 038 I bought new in the mid 80's and that would be the saw. In today's standards my Sthil 461 is my go to saw. Sorry don't have any pictures.

gspren

Even though my 261 is what I grab the most if I could only have one I would keep my old 044. The 044 is heavier but it will do things easily that the 261 would struggle with plus for well over 20 years it's been dependable and versatile.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Fishnuts2

I would choose my Husqvarna 346XP for all around. Easy to handle, lots of power for it's size, and I wouldn't have to pay a king's ransom for parts if needed.  Can't say that for some of my other saws.

reride82

My 372xp Husqvarna. It might be big for some, but I'm 6'5" and 225lbs. I prefer a longer bar so I don't have to bend over. I use a 395xp quite a bit too, but if I had to choose just one, the 372 would be my go-to.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Air Lad

Can't argue with any of those choices even though there is
a bit of range between largest to smallest
The one in my pic is the 260c ,the timber is Ironbark . Its hard
My choice is light enough to carry a fair distance, big enough to cut a decent chunk of wood.
Thanks for all your thoughts

lxskllr

Quote from: Air Lad on February 08, 2019, 04:45:10 PM
Can't argue with any of those choices even though there is
a bit of range between largest to smallest
The one in my pic is the 260c ,the timber is Ironbark . Its hard
My choice is light enough to carry a fair distance, big enough to cut a decent chunk of wood.
Thanks for all your thoughts
Realistically, if you gave me the money to buy any saw, and it was the only one I could have, I'd be leaning heavily towards a 261cm. Still big enough to do most of what I'm interested in at a significant weight savings over the 362. I'd definitely be thinking hard over the decision.

Air Lad

Yep Ixskllr
The weight between my 260c and the 039 is noticeable
There is a jump in power also but I know which one I would prefer to lug around in the scrub all day 

JohnW

Quote from: reride82 on February 08, 2019, 12:54:48 PM
My 372xp Husqvarna. It might be big for some, but I'm 6'5" and 225lbs. I prefer a longer bar so I don't have to bend over. I use a 395xp quite a bit too, but if I had to choose just one, the 372 would be my go-to.

Levi
Check, check, check.  I'd go with my 372 over my 395.  I'm 6'5", 215, but 67.  The 395 is a little harder for me to start if it's been a while.

mike_belben

Would also keep my 372.  Have 16 to 36" B&Cs for it
Praise The Lord

Pine Ridge

Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

wild262

Just one!   That's an easy one for me.  My 1990 ported 262xp with 3/8, 20" Sugihara bar.  60cc perfection.

ehp

right now I grab one of my 462's first, nice and light and cuts good , Im about 4 ft 6 inches tall on a good day :D but Im 240 to 245 pounds most days , 5 ft 10 inch if I stand up straight

sawguy21

None of my saws would qualify, they are all old and cranky like me. ;D If I had to choose one saw for all around use it would be a Stihl MS361, never picked up a 362, or Husky 357XP, either with 18" bar. They are light enough to pack all day and would likely do anything I need done. If I needed bigger I would call somebody in or just walk away from it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cub

036 no doubt. Big enough with enough power to run a 24 inch bar cutting whatever you want. A little slower in hardwood but it will work. Good on gas. Put a 20 inch bar on and carry all day cutting whatever you want. 

Thank You Sponsors!