iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At what DBH does pine become viable to saw?

Started by TheSaint68, February 14, 2016, 10:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSaint68

My wife and I bought a small old farm in Southern CT 2 years ago and have been slowly cleaning the place up. The farm has a section of large mature pine that was most likely a christmas tree planting at some point in the past. Hurricane Sandy brought some down and there are a few standing dead all of various sizes. I do not have a mill but I can use some lumber for a few basic out buildings in the near future. At what size would it be worthwhile to look at milling into something usable, they are predominantly douglas fir?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

terrifictimbersllc

9" diameter logs, if straight and outside not punky, will give a 6x6 or six 1" boards.   Probably worth it.   Smaller, a 4x4 or some narrower boards.  Worth it is your call.  The problem with overgrown Christmas trees is that they have knots everywhere.  OK for shorter posts or utility 1" boards maybe, not good for 2x framing lumber. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

I hate it when I go to reply and someone has just posted :D  because I may say the same thing, but whatever, not sure what the ideal size is but 16" is a good number a little smaller or bigger, I  have sawed below 10" and yielded some very useful lumber.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandsawmill14

x2  but on the lower value stuff such as pine i try to stay 12" dbh or about 9-10 small end dia :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

drobertson i know what you mean you just did it to me >:(  :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

drobertson

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on February 14, 2016, 10:37:35 AM
Ha Ha, yea,, I hate going back, then back again to post, maybe someone can tell me how to prevent this?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pine

Quote from: TheSaint68 on February 14, 2016, 10:20:32 AM
My wife and I bought a small old farm in Southern CT 2 years ago and have been slowly cleaning the place up. The farm has a section of large mature pine that was most likely a christmas tree planting at some point in the past. Hurricane Sandy brought some down and there are a few standing dead all of various sizes. I do not have a mill but I can use some lumber for a few basic out buildings in the near future. At what size would it be worthwhile to look at milling into something usable, they are predominantly douglas fir?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Not that it matters to the answer that much but are they large mature pine or are they predominantly Douglas-fir? 

You can get lumber out of most anything but the workload goes up the smaller the dbh and thus what you get for the cost of having them milled may not be worth it.  Most sawyers will bill hourly on small diameter logs not BF rates.  If you buy a mill then it is just your time.  Agree with the knot statement.  If they were not "pruned up" then your boards will have lots of knots.

jtflynn

10" on the small end is the smallest I'll mill....the rest goes in the wood boiler

sawmilljoe

What I say is if you need 1+4 or 4+4 the a 6 inch log will work will be a struggle to get much sawed . If you have lots above 9 inches then burn the small stuff

Chuck White

One thing that I always have my customers do is limit the small end of the logs to 8 inches or larger!

Seems to work well for me!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

roghair

Quote from: drobertson on February 14, 2016, 11:00:46 AM
Quote from: sandsawmill14 on February 14, 2016, 10:37:35 AM
Ha Ha, yea,, I hate going back, then back again to post, maybe someone can tell me how to prevent this?

drobertson
Have you checked this:
go to Profile - Account Settings - Modify Profile - Look & Layout - UNcheck the box  "Don't warn on new replies made while posting." Would that solve the issue?
built a sawmill

azmtnman

Quote from: TheSaint68 on February 14, 2016, 10:20:32 AM
they are predominantly douglas fir?
I believe Doug fir is a western mountain tree. I cut a lot of it but have to go above 8000' to find it.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Ron Wenrich

Doug fir used as a Christmas tree here in the East.  The smallest tree that I would scale for timber is 12" dbh.  A one log tree would give you a little over 9" inside bark at the end of a 16' log. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

TheSaint68

I measure a group of what I want to possible mill they range from 10" to 19" DBH so it looks like I have a viable project. The stand was planted I believe for christmas trees and hence relatively dense so interior trees self-pruned up to a height where they will be pretty clear of any big knots.

drobertson

Whatever they were planted for makes no mind now,, they look great to me,, these should make some very nice lumber, siding with the knottier stuff and 2x's and beams with the better more clear,,  Nice and straight they appear to be.

Ianab

Yeah, trees in that pic look "useful".  Because of the close planting you can get a decent ~10" log that's straight, no large knots etc and it will make useful boards.  Sawing a pile of smaller, but decent quality logs isn't so bad. Much better than a 10" open grown tree that's heavily tapered and full of huge knots.

Also the stand will be starting to stagnate, and probably needs to be removed anyway. The trees wont get much bigger, and thinning is probably going to result in the rest of the trees coming down in the next storm.

So I vote "Cut them down and start sawing" too.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

azmtnman

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 14, 2016, 10:37:38 PM
Doug fir used as a Christmas tree here in the East.
You learn something new every day!

Your Doug fir even have that telltale swoop at the stump. It's great wood! The knots usually don't go very deep. I generally saw boards out of the entire tree with the bottom being nearly clear. The rest of it makes for good firewood too.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Cedarman

I saw some SPF in a box store less than 2" x 2" and had bark on all 4 corners.  Looked like a 2 1/2" log was used.  Looks like the lower limit in log size that can be sawed.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pineywoods

I saw a good bit of 5 and 6 inch pine poles and cut them into 4 ft blocking. I go through lots of 4X4 dunage for spacers on lumber stacks. Every stack of lumber leaving my mill sits on two 4X4 on customers trailer so I can load with fork lift. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sixacresand

I confess.  I mill small logs, especially if customer wants them milled.  If somebody who went to the trouble to load and haul small logs, I certainly am not going to insult him by saying his logs are crap. But I prefer that he is present when I mill them, so he can see the yield.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

yukon cornelius

As said before, useful to you doesn't mean useful for another. A huge majority of what I mill is 6 and a bit under. They get used and very little goes to waste. Actually none is really waste as we find a use for all even if it is chipped for mulch. Learning to mill little logs can be as challenging as learning to mill big logs. Creativity comes in to clamp a 3 or 4 inch log without sawing into a clamp. There ate a few discussions about a home for every log
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

GAB

My brother had a pine tree that the wind broke the top off.
He harvested a small 8 or 10' long log from the remainder and I sawed it, because it was a tree that my dad had planted years ago.  Pine trees planted in very sandy soil do not grow very fast.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bkaimwood

I carried a log over to the mill the other day to mill for a customer... Over my shoulder.... With one hand...and it was 8 foot long....the other hand had 20 bucks in it...what can I say?
bk

Percy

Quote from: bkaimwood on March 01, 2016, 07:10:16 PM
I carried a log over to the mill the other day to mill for a customer... Over my shoulder.... With one hand...and it was 8 foot long....the other hand had 20 bucks in it...what can I say?
:D :D :D Well balanced maybe....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

isawlogs

I will saw what ever they put on the pile as long as its 6" or better. At least there is a 4x4 in the log or anything else of similar dimenssion(inside said log). I do saw by the hour and at the end of the day there is a pile of lumber that the customer can use for what ever reason he chooses. So when cutting your trees down, don't cut yourself short of a good log because of its size, a smaller log can be cut to a usefull outcome if you so choose to have something to do with it.  Best plan is to have some kind of cut list before attacking the tree removal, this way you can see what you have and have an idea of what you can get out of your trees/logs.
  No sense cutting 12 foot logs if you are going to be using 8 foot lumber..... Just saying, a cutlist goes a long way in helping you decide what lenght you will be cutting logs.  ;)

Have fun !   cut_tree cut_tree
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!