iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Stihl MS660 chain - 3/8's or 404?

Started by YellowHammer, September 14, 2011, 11:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I'm going to upgrade from the Stihl044 Magnum 28 inch bar 3/8 inch chain to a Stihl MS660 with 32 inch bar because I've been felling/bucking big oaks and hickorys and need a longer bar and more power. 90 percent of what I cut is hardwood.   I cut every few days and have cleared miles of fence and field rows, with more to go, so I'm looking for best balance of cutting speed, power, chain size for cutting efficiency, chain life between sharpenings, etc.  The MS066 can use either the 3/8 inch or the 404 according to the dealer I talked to.  I've never used a saw with a 404 chain so can't decide what size to use.  Any suggestions or personal experience would be welcome. 
Thanks,
YellowHammer
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

chevytaHOE5674

On my 660 I have a 32" bar in both 3/8 and .404, Once I broke down and bought the 3/8 bar the .404 has hardly been off the shelf. Running the 3/8 bar means I don't have to change the sprocket to run any of my other Stihl bars , can use the same size file as all my other saws, can spin my own loops from chain I already have, and it cuts faster than the .404 stuff.

Al_Smith

Well .404 might be a little tougher chain  but it cost's a goodly amount as compaired to 3/8" .It used to be around 24 cents a drive link for Oregon ,now it's 43 cents .Plus the fact that long bars in .404 are expensive too by comparrison .

Generally speaking most .404 is used for saws over 100 cc .100 and under is generally 3/8" .

FWIW on over 100 cc I've used both and 3/8" isn't any faster than .404 in my opinion .Big old saws no matter if they are 125 Macs or 084 Stihls are pullers they aren't race horses  unless they are souped for speed .They are or were made specifically to pull long bars on big wood .Their use is limited in most areas now of days .As such saws about the size of an 066/Ms 660 are just about the upper limits seen now of days with few exceptions .

YellowHammer

Thanks for the info.  That's what I like about this Forum, real answers I can trust from folks who have been there and done that. I'll be getting the saw this weekend without having to worry if I have the right setup.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

w8ye

I run 404 full compliment with a 30" bar on my Stihl 084. It seems as natural as any chainsaw.

On my Stihl 066/MS660, Dolmar 7900, and Husky 372 I use 3/8"
Stihl FS-55R, HS-80-R-24
Echo PB 2400, SRM 2100 SRM 2400

Al_Smith

Well a 30" on an 084 would be childs play for that saw .

Since you mentioned it though I was recently looking for a 42" or longer for just such a saw .My have the prices escalated since I last checked .At least a hundred bucks and the chain between high 50's to nearly 90 for a 122 driver loop of chain depending on the brand name .

As luck would have my little bud the trimmer who owns the saw found a 42" he had missplaced along with a partial roll of .404 bulk chain .So in  few days if he gets the stuff to me once again the mighty 084 will be back on line . Too good of a saw to become a shelf queen only used once a year at a GTG or something .

clww

3/8" should cut faster and less expensive, too, as Al pointed out.  I run .404 on my 084 and 090 with the 36" bars. My 54" bar I use occasionally for ripping is 3/8", though.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

s grinder

Yellowhammer,Are you getting it with a full skip or a semi skip chain?

YellowHammer

I bought the saw today, went with the forum advice and got the 3/8 chain.  I've had good luck with the Stihl Rapid Super Full Chisel in the hardwood I cut, so I went with that. After a beak in tank of fuel, and getting used to looking at a saw bar that actually had paint on it....something I hadn't seen for a time, I put it into a 30 inch seasoned hickory to see how it would do.  It self fed well, I was able to keep the revs up, and had no problem clearing chips.  With the 32 inch bar, the balance was nice, just slighty forward of the top grip.  That big piece of wood seemed as hard as a cinder block, but the saw ate though it fine. It's a nice saw.

If anyone has any recommendations for a better choice of chain style in oak and hickory, I'd like to know.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Al_Smith

As far as skip or full comp on hardwood with a fair sized saw it seems to make little difference  or at least to me .I've ran both .

The 48" bar I have which fits on both a 2100 Homelite or a 125 Mac  has full comp .I have no problem at all with it but it's on large powerfull saws .I've used both on a 125 Mac too and see no diff on a 36" bar .

Now most likely in the large softer  firs of the west coast there is a difference buts it's mainly on large trees and more simpley because of the deep cuts and chip clearance . It's not because the saws lack the power .

Now some people find that skip works good for running longer bars on saws that should use shorter .Again though it's a personal preference . The say it's faster to file ,granted it is but you have to file twice as often because there's only half the cutters so the point is kind of moot .

T Welsh

If anyone has any recommendations for a better choice of chain style in oak and hickory, I'd like to know.
YH. YH, your not going to find much better!! Stihl,s chain,s are good. running chisel you will find that if you hit a rock or dirt it will dull faster than chipper style, but for fast straight cutting it doesnt get any better. we have over 15 saw,s in the inventory and they all run chisel chain. Oregon sell,s 72lgx we like that too! costs less than Sthil chain but is a bit softer metal. go out and play with it and make some saw dust! Tim

Thank You Sponsors!